• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Teaching Roux to Beginners

Teach them Roux?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have looked up threads like this, all talking about Keyhole and Sexy method for beginners.

But I haven't seen anyone teach Roux to someone that doesn't know how to solve the rubik cube.

My question is, Should I teach them Roux? Yes or No.

My reasons for this:
I don't like how LBL is purely algs. I don't want someone to learn algs instead of learning the cube.
I also was playing with Petrus and saw how "Bad Edges" and solving only using <R,U> might complicate things and make the learning process longer.
Sexy method is actually really confusing and i cant teach something that confuses me...
Same goes with Edges First. Quiet confusing.

The only problem i see with Roux is EO. I can see them having a problem with that.

Tell me what yall think.

Athefre

EO isn't a big problem. Teach them the simple concept of looking for the center colors on U and D. Then you can teach them to place an oriented edge at DB, then repeat placing a misoriented edge at UB and doing M'UM until three are misoriented on U.

tasguitar7

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I love Roux, and I have considered teaching it to beginners but usually default to the simplest possible variation of Sexy Method.

There are three issues that would have to be addressed or adjusted when teaching beginners Roux.
1. CMLL - I'm actually not sure how you would teach a beginner the CMLL step as they will be unwilling to learn algs. This is by far the biggest problem.
2. Block Building/Intuition - Obviously some of the benefits or Roux are increased intuition and efficiency. Beginners can usually stumble into getting f2b with oversight, but it will not be efficient and the intuition will take probably more practice than they are willing to put in at first to develop.
3. EO - to beginners at least this will feel like learning algs, they are very short, but there is case memorization. It is easy to think about it intuitively if you have experience with a cube, however, as a beginner it would probably be very hard to visualize

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I figured with cmll, just sune and j perm. both easy things to remember.

Yeah block building might be a problem. But if figure if i tell them thats the only method i know, theyll figure it out xD

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For the past six months, the only method I have taught to people is Roux. When they do not grasp F2B well, I just give them algorithms for the time being. Surprisingly people grasp L6E really easy when I teach it to them. But I make up a diagram that uses M U' M and M' U' M' only that goes from the worst cases all the way to the basic cases.

tasguitar7

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah sune probably isn't too much even for a noncommittal beginner however j perm is quite a bit more of a commitment to someone just starting. Maybe sune and niklas? permute with niklas then orient with semi-random sunes?

tasguitar7

YouTube
Visit Channel
Blocks are really hard for them in my experience.

I think it depends on the person, it is difficult for everyone the first time the pick up a cube but one of my teachers picked up decent block building (Petrus) within 5 minutes. I think the perceived difficultly is highly variant, I have no theory as to why that is though.

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
i realized the real problem was going to be F2B. he could do the first block, but the second was a real problem. also M slices was a problem.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Whenever I teach someone Petrus, they always insert one piece at a time, for example using R U R U R U' R' U' R' during step 4. It makes it so that when they get down to about 40 seconds it's hard for them to improve without completely rethinking each step. I will admit that I sort of progressed like that, and it worked out great! I'm almost sub-20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OT: I taught CalebCole203 Roux almost immediately after he learned beginners method. He picked it up very fast, but whenever he got to 4c, he would just spam M' U2 M' U2 until the cube was solved.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The best way to teach blocks imo is to first lay down the principles like break and restore and ofc stickers cant individually switch... Then let them experiment for F2B... (Show them examples before it's too late and they start doing piece by piece).
EO I teach by (yes I teach to start with oriented centres) showing them which edges M'UM' flips and telling them to get any 4 edges flipped. Get three on top preserving orientation
Etc. M'U2M' for LR and the 3 different cases for 4c..

Yah Roux is fit for a beginner imo. Just make sure they are efficient block builders from the beginning.

drogg

Just my two cents. I don't know roux and am not far from a beginner.

I first solved a cube using the "beginners" method which I watched off a YouTube video and had the thing done within an hour or so. The fact that it was so easy and repeatable and there was very little to remember is what peeked my interest into cubing. You may think you are doing the best for people teaching them block building techniques but the very fact that I could easily solve it is probably the only reason I picked it up for a second time. But as I said I don't know roux so it may also be very easy, but in all honesty even the cross is hard as a beginner I would think block building would be very difficult.

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
My friend is learning how to cube, and I told him to explore Roux too, and I taught him half the method, Donovan's tutorials the other half. It's not much harder than teaching more intermediate cubers, because they are not as hardwired to F2L.

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Just my two cents. I don't know roux and am not far from a beginner.

I first solved a cube using the "beginners" method which I watched off a YouTube video and had the thing done within an hour or so. The fact that it was so easy and repeatable and there was very little to remember is what peeked my interest into cubing. You may think you are doing the best for people teaching them block building techniques but the very fact that I could easily solve it is probably the only reason I picked it up for a second time. But as I said I don't know roux so it may also be very easy, but in all honesty even the cross is hard as a beginner I would think block building would be very difficult.

Maybe maybe.
Right now im teaching them 2x2x2 block. Cause at first i went with petrus, then realized it might be a problem with the last layer. But the "f2l" would be a piece of cake.

G

Georgeanderre

I didn't teach my friends that know Roux, they saw me solve it countless times and just copied me...

BigGreen

WCA
2009MOOR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
MBR. That's how I learnt... Well Matt's the one that taught me sooo.

template.jpg

applemobile

I think of the first tutorials of how to solve a cube I ever watched were Roux I doubt I would ever have solved a cube. Maybe it's different doing it in person, but even with my knowledge I have now, I find tutorials about block building very difficult to understand, and personally have learnt it intuitively, using the knowledge I already have.

Cube-Fu

WCA
2009WILL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do walkthroughs with people, using the major steps, so I say, one block, off you go, come back when you're done; theory is, if they can't do that after about 10-20 mins, they probably shouldn't waste time cubing. If they really like it, or are determined but can't finish, I'll write a couple of algs for the corners (orient and 2-swap) If it's a total beginner, someone that's just interested because I've solved it fast, I get them to solve an entire side orientation only, then try again and permute.

Status
Not open for further replies.