• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Teaching Roux to Beginners

Teach them Roux?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Georgeanderre

I do walkthroughs with people, using the major steps, so I say, one block, off you go, come back when you're done; theory is, if they can't do that after about 10-20 mins, they probably shouldn't waste time cubing.

Exactly what I did... But with beginners and if they got stuck I showed them examples by solving the rest of the cube slowly... then re-scrambling and chucking it back :p they thought I was cruel at the time but now they do the same thing with other people if I'm otherwise elsewhere engaged :rolleyes:

Student became the teacher.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
template.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking- never EVER REDUCE FREEDOM >:/

G

Georgeanderre

And that would make no sense what so ever if put into your previous comment...

Master boot record. That's how I learnt... Well Matt's the one that taught me sooo.

Endgame

Teaching Roux to beginners is like using Human Thistlethwaite Algorithm as your main speedcubing method.

Keep it primitive, teach them piece by piece LBL.

A Leman

They should start with the easiest possible LBL or CF method. If you want them to eventually become Roux users, CF finished with LSE would be a good start.

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
so the dude i was teaching ended up going online and learned lbl. so yeah epic fail.
guess ill just say, if you wanna sub 1 or whatever, ill tell em to learn roux xD

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel

Actually gave me a good laugh. It's so...silly. and he was looking for approval for it too >_> silly silly matt and silly silly MBR. I have nightmares thanks to them.

On another note. I taught my friend recently how to Roux and he's picking it up rather fast. Within 1 hour of me explaining, he knew how to do LSE, still blocks could use some work. for corners I just showed him niklas and sune.

A Leman

Niklas as i presume you know is [R, U'L'U]. You use it to permute the corners by AUFing the correct corner in the UFL spot, repeat Niklas untill the URF piece is placed. If there is corner parity in the back, do y'[R,U'L'U] U and it's fixed. Then use sunes to orient the correctly permuted corners(because sune does not create parity). A shortcut you can teach to new cubers is to also use [U'L'U, R].

mchedlo213

i have no idea of thsi method,but as soon as i finish my full PLL and master CFOP a bit,i'm planning to leant this method,so any kind of guideor tutorial would be appreciated. +)

AbstractAlg

WCA
2012OKAN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Teaching Roux to beginners is like using Human Thistlethwaite Algorithm as your main speedcubing method.

Keep it primitive, teach them piece by piece LBL.

Thislethweite is good. Can reach sub20 when all planets in Milky way form a single line. LOL

Roux is great. But beginners do not think of the "edges" and "corners", they see only stickers and use semi-random moves to get the pieces to the place where they want. Introducing to them a concept of slices would be a massive task (or am I wrong?). LBL's moto "solve one-by-one piece at the time" is easy for the beginner, so they can progress slowly and come to the solved cube, and Roux... 0_0

What about showing Human to a beginner? Pure math, and step-by-step solution, like lbl.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
The only "hard" parts in HTA are the "EO" and "fixing bad edges" steps.
But as HTA starts with the EO step I think it will be very hard to teach to an absolute beginner.

Status
Not open for further replies.