• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should official 3BLD mo3s be ranked? (Read the first post)

Do you support adding a "Mean of 3" ranking to the WCA website for BLD?

• Total voters

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Should official 3BLD mo3s be ranked?

Indeed. Marcell has an extremely good success rate. He also has the best single and mean of 3. Can someone provide evidence where somebody has shot up the world rankings 'unfairly' because of a lucky scramble?

Joey would have UK NR with his only mean of 3 ever :)

Euro 2012 had two unbelievably easy scrambles. I'm not saying that the people who got good times on those scrambles don't deserve to have the rankings they do. I'm just saying that it's pretty disappointing for me to think that every competition I'm just hoping for a scramble like that and there's nothing I can control about that.

I also don't see how it could possibly hurt just to add another page of rankings to the WCA site and another WR. Very little would actually change about how the event is run.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you're doing it for 3BLD, why not all the other events? I don't see why 4BLD or 5BLD should be different - they work identically. Fewest moves would certainly work as well (for the few competitions that have 3 attempts). And for that matter, you could average the points for multi (again, for rare occasions where you have 3 attempts).

(Okay, so I'm proud of having gotten a 4BLD mean of 3, and a couple of times I almost got a mean of 3 in 5BLD, so I'd love to work for that.)

cubernya

Premium Member
If you're doing it for 3BLD, why not all the other events? I don't see why 4BLD or 5BLD should be different - they work identically. Fewest moves would certainly work as well (for the few competitions that have 3 attempts). And for that matter, you could average the points for multi (again, for rare occasions where you have 3 attempts).

(Okay, so I'm proud of having gotten a 4BLD mean of 3, and a couple of times I almost got a mean of 3 in 5BLD, so I'd love to work for that.)

Has anybody ever gotten a mean of 3 in 5BLD?
And for Multi, has any competition ever had 3 attempts? Even Worlds only had 2 attempts

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you allowed 3x3 mean what about 4BLD and 5BLD like mike said

Also I see nothing wrong with adding 3bld mean of 3x3 good blind solvers has good success rate.

Didn't Maslow get 3 attempts once

No one has every got a 3x3 mean of 3 in 5bld but there are 2/2's and a guy with 2 2/3's and a one person with a 100% success rate

Last edited:

acohen527

WCA
2012COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry if this sounds stupid or doesn't make any sense but-

What if it was just the average of your 3 or 5 best successes in competition ever? It would eliminate the one lucky solve people who have a high ranking, but also wouldn't be really hard to achieve, especially because of the high DNF rate even trying to get successes to post a mo3. What I'm trying to say is, that you can still try and go your fastest without doing safety solves to get a mo3.

ben1996123

Banned
WCA
2009WHIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry if this sounds stupid or doesn't make any sense but-

What if it was just the average of your 3 or 5 best successes in competition ever? It would eliminate the one lucky solve people who have a high ranking, but also wouldn't be really hard to achieve, especially because of the high DNF rate even trying to get successes to post a mo3. What I'm trying to say is, that you can still try and go your fastest without doing safety solves to get a mo3.

what if you have 4 lucky scrambles?
if the winner of 3bld was based on the mo3 at competitions, someone could get a 3 minute solve and 2 dnfs and beat someone who got a 30 second solve if that was their first success.
if you dnf solves, too bad. no mean for you.

its a stupid idea.

acohen527

WCA
2012COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
what if you have 4 lucky scrambles?
if the winner of 3bld was based on the mo3 at competitions, someone could get a 3 minute solve and 2 dnfs and beat someone who got a 30 second solve if that was their first success.
if you dnf solves, too bad. no mean for you.

its a stupid idea.

Could you rephrase that? The whole 3 minute vs. 30 seconds thing... it doesn't really make sense to me. You'd still be keeping single solves as what wins the competitions, but the mo3's or avg.5's could be another WCA stat that shows how good you are at BLD, not just if you get a lucky scramble. And if someone gets 4 lucky scrambles, then being able to convert them into successes is proof of being a good BLDer.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did you just hack that together or did it already exist?

I made it a while ago but didn't quite finish/publish it until now (can still be improved, but at least it's decent).

It would be great to see this on profiles

Maybe. Being a special page allows me to do special stuff, like showing mean-of-2 in addition to mean-of-3. In any case, I wouldn't put this on the main pages without permission of the board, as it would kinda conflict with the regulations.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Should official 3BLD mo3s be ranked?

Maybe. Being a special page allows me to do special stuff, like showing mean-of-2 in addition to mean-of-3. In any case, I wouldn't put this on the main pages without permission of the board, as it would kinda conflict with the regulations.

Maybe you could have a separate page or section attached to each person's profile that could have rankings in things like sum of ranks, sum of BLD ranks, most podiums, most solves, and basically anything else on the stats section. I think that would be really cool.

Yes We Can!

WCA
2009DIEC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
People are still gonna rank if they get say 2 DNFs, just not in the mo3 ranking. (on an unrelated note: I have never had all successes in a BLD round :p)
As for competitions, the format wouldn't have to change, it could still remain best of 3. The only difference would be that you could break official mo3 records, which imo is not that bad of an idea because consistence (success-wise) would get acknowledged.

On the other hand, the focus of many competitors might get drawn away from the idea of winning the competition (by getting a good single) to the want to get a better mean of 3, regardless of the ranking in the competition itself. Not sure if that's "in the spirit" of the WCA.