• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Hazel

Premium Member
Try to get your first block done in under 4 seconds. Splits for sub-20 should be around 4-6-4-6 or similar. Yeah that's called white/yellow neutrality. I see that some of your first blocks are fairly inefficient, so I suggest using the block trainer to improve efficiency. You should aim for a movecount that is under 10 every time.
Awesome, thanks! Your sub-20 guide video was pretty helpful too :)

Hazel

Premium Member
What algorithm sets are there other than EOLR and CMLL in Roux that I could eventually learn to get faster? I know TCMLL's a thing too but I'm not sure how good that actually is.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
What algorithm sets are there other than EOLR and CMLL in Roux that I could eventually learn to get faster? I know TCMLL's a thing too but I'm not sure how good that actually is.
You can learn SB algs. Most people do simple solutions to the square, but if you learned some tricky cases algorithmically, it could save a few moves.

I started compiling some SB algs a while ago but didn't spend more than one evening on it. I intend to come back to it at some point, but it won't be for a while.

joshsailscga

WCA
2014MORR01
Finally doing something I've meant to try for the last year and a half: learn Roux. I just picked up LSE this afternoon so I can actually do complete Roux solves without any CFOP sneaking in. Averaging 40ish after about 50 LSE solves and 30 full solves, it will be interesting to see how fast I progress given that I already can fingertrick and am used to learning algs. This should be a fun experiment. Thanks PDF for making sure there's Roux resources on Youtube :D

WCA
2012BRAS01
Might as well post here as well. I finally got the point where it feels the benefits of switching to Roux have paid off.

I got a sub 14 ao50 and a PB OH single, 14.669, all with Roux.

This all sprung off this post I made almost a year ago. Major shoutouts to TDM for keeping me motivated.

My only regrets are that I didn't switch years earlier haha.

Oatch

What should I work on most? I average around 30-35 seconds

One thing in particular that stuck out to me is that you had a lengthy pause for CMLL recognition. Since 2-look CMLL doesn't have that many algs the low case number should make your recognition almost instant. I'd recommend working on improving this, or maybe revamping your recognition method altogether.

WCA
2017WENR01
when I transitioned from CFOP I use L/R White/Yellow colour scheme(like Gilles Color scheme)
with y2 neutrality to break cfop habits easier. Anyone else use this scheme

aNub

I tried roux and i really enjoyed the freedom of the blockbuilding. Would it be a stupid idea to replace F2L with that? If I would just build the blocks, and then rest of the F2L with U and M moves? Then just regular OLL and PLL. I tried that a few times and it was fun. Should I keep practising it or should I stop and choose either of them?

Oatch

Personally, I'd feel that if you have a really good grasp at building the first two blocks, then arguably you should just finish with regular Roux using CMLL + LSE, since it's much more efficient than building the rest of cross + OLL + PLL. Most people starting out with Roux say that F2B is the hardest step to wrap their head around, so you would already have a massive leg up in that regard.

If you insist on a CFOP-y finish of 'traditional' last layer with OLL + PLL, maybe don't strictly lock yourself into doing F2B as with the Roux method all the time, but instead look into a more FreeFOP style solution to F2L to utilise your blockbuilding skills. Maybe even something in the style of Petrus might be interesting and useful for your style of solving, because that is heavily reliant on blockbuilding (and you don't strictly have to do EO either). Keep experimenting and see what you like!

TL;DR: I recommend you stick with a 'regular' Roux finish after Roux F2B. However, you may also like to try FreeFOP to maximise the amount of blockbuilding you do.

aNub

I'm having a problem. I've been using CFOP for a few months now. I gave Roux a try and I really enjoyed it. I'm constantly getting better at CFOP but also getting bored. I got to sub-30 seconds within (approximately) 70 days. Should I start using Roux as my main, considering I love the method? Is it harder to get to sub30 than with CFOP? Is it harder to get to sub20? Sub15? I will start using Roux if it's as easy to get faster with as CFOP. But if not, then I will have to get some motivation to keep doing CFOP.

Yeah, you should use Roux. It's basically equivalent to CFOP in terms of speed, and many people report that they can improve faster on Roux because they vibe with it better than CFOP. I myself use CFOP because I hate M moves, but since you love Roux that shouldn't be an issue for you. Also Roux is supposedly easier for One-Handed solving, so that's another plus.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm having a problem. I've been using CFOP for a few months now. I gave Roux a try and I really enjoyed it. I'm constantly getting better at CFOP but also getting bored. I got to sub-30 seconds within (approximately) 70 days. Should I start using Roux as my main, considering I love the method? Is it harder to get to sub30 than with CFOP? Is it harder to get to sub20? Sub15? I will start using Roux if it's as easy to get faster with as CFOP. But if not, then I will have to get some motivation to keep doing CFOP.
Yes, for two-handed solving, Roux is just as fast as CFOP. Your improvement depends entirely on how much practice you do, so of course, if you enjoy a method more then you'll improve faster with it. Although the methods matters when you get down to world class times, it's still debated which method is better so the difference is likely so close that it's irrelevant.

However, you may want to consider other events. CFOP is better for big cubes and Roux is better for one-handed solving; however, Roux is still okay on 4x4/5x5 with magnets and 3x3 stage is a small part of 5x5+ solves, making Roux's bigcube weakness less of an issue. But most Roux users will use CFOP on bigcubes anyway, because it is definitely better on those puzzles. It's not too much of a hassle to use different methods for different puzzles.