• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

ariasamie

YouTube
Visit Channel
qqTimer can be more accurate than a stackmat.
because you can't get a 0.00 with a stackmat!
5636.png

this photo is not made by photoshop or paint.
sometimes I just keep hitting the space button so fast that the timer doesn't even stop.

Last edited:

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can get 0.00 on a QJ timer.

Athefre/Cride - I still think your 2x2x2 methods are too complicated - too much to remember!

However,

I think what sets apart an intuitive method from an algorithmic method is that the details don't really matter ... as long as the solver is aware of the sub-goals to be reached, they should be able to kludge together the bits in between, even if the exact moves have been forgotten.

I've actually seen this happen at the "solve all edges" point in 8355. The guy I taught made up his own system for doing it.

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Athefre/Cride - I still think your 2x2x2 methods are too complicated - too much to remember!
How about the '35' method :D

@ariasamie, just because a timer can register better time resolution doesn't mean it's more accurate. A general problem with PC based timers (and this includes CCT) is that they share processing with other tasks. If your computer decides that some task is more important than 'stop timer' then your times are going to be wrong. Personally, I would trust a Stackmat/QJ timer more than anything on a PC.

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How about the '35' method :D

idk man, it's better - but it's still confusing. I was hoping for something really intuitive - something I can teach someone in 30 seconds.

The biggest problem is solving the adj swap intuitively. Doing one move and solving the corners again gets confusing because people forget where the corners are supposed to be.

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
The problem with adj swap is that any alg for it is going to be at least 9 moves. It's very difficult to break that down into intuitive sub-steps.

The method I suggested makes half of the moves (the final 5) completely intuitive and difficult to mess up, because the cube is reduced to the R2, U group. As long as they don't let go of bottom-left two cubies, it should be a doddle.

The hardest part is the first 5 moves, setting up for the re-grip. It requires the solver to remember:
* Bring DR pair up to UB
* Break it up
* Do the R2 swap
* Regrip

... I can't really think of a nicer way to do it. Perhaps some kind memory trick would help. ... like an acronym for the steps. All I could think of is: BASS (Back, And Split then Swap).

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Easy to remember two-swap on back (for 2x2x2):
R2 D2 (R'F')*7.5 D2 F2

I had the idea of making a StackMat-like timer that runs on 1000 Hz (yes, three decimal places) instead of 60 Hz. I don't know if this is a reasonable modification but I'm going to give it a shot.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
I... suppose that could work? It would also make things easier if you happen to already have an extra magic lying around, because I certainly don't.

ariasamie

YouTube
Visit Channel
@ariasamie, just because a timer can register better time resolution doesn't mean it's more accurate. A general problem with PC based timers (and this includes CCT) is that they share processing with other tasks. If your computer decides that some task is more important than 'stop timer' then your times are going to be wrong. Personally, I would trust a Stackmat/QJ timer more than anything on a PC.
I know. I was just joking :)

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another LL method me and Rob played with; FreePLL/PureOLL

FreePLL;

Y- F R U R' U' F'
V- R U' R' F R F' U R
R- R U R' U' R' F R F'
A- Niklas
U- Sune
N- R U R' F' L' U' L F
J- R' F R U R' U' F U R
G- R U2' R' U2 R' F R F'
T- R U R' U R U' R' U' R' F R F' / F R U R' U' R U' R' U' R U R' F'
E- R' U' R U' R' U y' R' U R B / R U R' U R' F R F' R U2 R'
F- F R U' R' U R B U B' R' F'
Z- F R U R' U' F' f R U R' U' f' / R' F' U' F U R2 B U B' U' R'

We never generated all the PureOLL algs, because they suck. So here's 2look; (The EO algs affect some corners, too. The adj alg might actually be useful for other things)

EO;

Adj- R' U' R2 B' R' B2 U' B'
Opp- B' R' U2 B U B2 R B R2 U R2 B
All- R' U' F' U F R F R U R' U' F'

CO;

L- [r' u R2 u' r, U2]
U- (RBS) (RFS)
T- (RFS) (LFS)
Pi- R U2 F2 R' U' F R' U2 F' U2 R2 F U R' F U2
Sune- U' B U' F U2 B2 D' R2 U D F' U' B
H- U R L' D' R2 U2 R' D R2 U2 L U' L2 B2 L2

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another LL method me and Rob played with; FreePLL/PureOLL

FreePLL;

Y- F R U R' U' F'
V- R U' R' F R F' U R
R- R U R' U' R' F R F'
A- Niklas
U- Sune
N- R U R' F' L' U' L F
J- R' F R U R' U' F U R
G- R U2' R' U2 R' F R F'
T- R U R' U R U' R' U' R' F R F' / F R U R' U' R U' R' U' R U R' F'
E- R' U' R U' R' U y' R' U R B / R U R' U R' F R F' R U2 R'
F- F R U' R' U R B U B' R' F'
Z- F R U R' U' F' f R U R' U' f' / R' F' U' F U R2 B U B' U' R'
I didn't call it this but I've had this idea too (a long time ago). Unfortunately flipping stuff is so move-intensive that this idea is essentially useless for speed, OH, and FM.

As for "pure OLL" though, if you're going to go 2-look, I really recommend doing corners first. Edges are easy to do with MU algs, but the more complex corner flips are pretty ugly, and I imagine there are much nicer ones out there if you allow some edges to be flipped too.

EDIT: Oh, check this out.
(U2) R U2 l' U2 L U' r' U2 L' U2 r U'

Last edited: