• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

Thom S.

If you are doing COLL, then it is not lucky.

Getting U perms in a row has more odds.
Indeed, as each U Perm has like a 1 in 4 chance.
But usually it's just getting U Perms.
Both the same PreAUF and PostAUF is still quite more lucky.

I also think that I get the same PLL in a row quite more often than mathematics would tell.
Statistics for things that have 0.00006%, like in a post above, may not make sense, even if your sample size is in the 5 Digits. If you do 100 Million solves, the curve should flatten out to what the statistic says.
You also have to remember, ignoring angle-independent PLLs like H Perm, if you get 1 Ua Perm, it's no different if you next get 4 F Perms or F, Ub, Ja, A. Both have the same chance, you just find one of them more lucky than the other.

espeed

Random thought: I realised what kept me away from improving my F2L the most is the sheer organisation of F2L cases. It confuses me that cases are not just mirrored, but it's mirror + rotation because FR slot is always the assumed target slot. Then again pieces in wrong slot (like on speedcubedb) confuses me more. Also the mirror + rotation algorithm is not always included in the mirror + rotation case. So one has to find the case pairs (which is easy on LS but not that easy in wrong slot cases) and mirror it.

Also different U positions make a whole other difference, which is not made explicit in most resources. One has to dig thorugh the alg alternatives.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I found a good drill to practice tps spam and getting muscle memory on alg inverses

if you want to learn two cases that are inverses of each other, do:

1. alg (setup to inverse)
2. inverse (solve the setup)
3. inverse (setup to alg)
4. alg (solve the setup)

repeat from number 1

that helps with alg recogniton and muscle memory. (I'm doing to drill COLL inverses)

Last edited:

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
Me: the UK isn’t good at cubing, but we do have 1 world record.
Dad: what event is it?
Me: clock average
Dad: Ohhhhh…..
Me: yeahh…
Dad: it’s not even a 3 dimensional puzzle (smh)

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Me: the UK isn’t good at cubing, but we do have 1 world record.
Dad: what event is it?
Me: clock average
Dad: Ohhhhh…..
Me: yeahh…
Dad: it’s not even a 3 dimensional puzzle (smh)
dang I have to get a clonk but it's a little expesive with the taxes
EDIT: and I got a good magnetic skewb and barely touched it since I got it

OldSwiss

I found a good drill to practice tps spam and getting muscle memory on alg inverses

if you want to learn two cases that are inverses of each other, do:

1. alg (setup to inverse)
2. inverse (solve the setup)
3. inverse (setup to alg)
4. alg (solve the setup)

repeat from number 1

that helps with alg recogniton and muscle memory. (I'm doing to drill COLL inverses)

That reminds me that I made a cool Excel List with all the OLL Cases and their relations to each other.
Sometimes (like Sune and Antisune) you see it directly because the Algs are reversed, but sometimes you don't learn the reverse Alg because of Fingertricks, Lefty... In these cases it's good to know.
That helped me a lot to learn Full OLL. I've always learned a couple of OLL together as pairs of inverse Algs.

Unfortunately I lost it at a recent HD Crash :-(
This was not in the Backup yet.
Maybe I do it again.

Last edited:
WCA
2016DRIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
you know what's so crazy to me, all cubers who take a break can come back after a few months and just be as good if not better when they stopped. I recently took a long break from cubing and branched off into other things utilizing my finger dexterity. but I can still average about 13 seconds after a warm up.

Thom S.

you know what's so crazy to me, all cubers who take a break can come back after a few months and just be as good if not better when they stopped. I recently took a long break from cubing and branched off into other things utilizing my finger dexterity. but I can still average about 13 seconds after a warm up.
I dropped 15 seconds in a few months