• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Oh yeah, and lets just get to the point. GAN is a good brand, but it doesn't have the godly status that every beginner thinks it does

Gan makes very good cubes. The problem is that they're no better than the cubes that are 1/2 its price (if we're talking about the RS3M or Guhong, it's like 1/6 of the price).

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh yeah, and lets just get to the point. GAN is a good brand, but it doesn't have the godly status that every beginner thinks it does
Don't say it don't say it don't say it don't say it

Okay, I'm gonna say it.

Gan cubes are fine, but the company itself is an absolute embarrassment to the community. Ever since 2018 with the release of the Gan 356 X, there has been nothing but recycled mechanisms. The Gan 354 was their last original puzzle. The Gan 356 X has the exact same mechanism excluding customization options and size. As of September 11th of 2018, there has been a total of 3 unique 3x3 piece designs, being the 354/X, XS, and the 11 Pro. Would you like to guess how many 3x3 puzzles Gan has produced (excluding smart cubes and the monster go series) since then? 16. Imagine taking 3 puzzle designs and milking them for 16 puzzles. It's absolutely atrocious. That's not even taking into account that Gan is marketing these puzzles as being completely unique. More than 75% of their releases are the same exact puzzle with different magnets, GES, or plastic coatings. Gan straight up ignores the fact that cubes like the M and X are the exact same puzzles in almost all of their marketing. The way they handle their marketing is anti-consumer at best. Now, the way that Moyu handled the original WRm is much more honest and straightforward. It wasn't perfect, they still marketed the cube as being completely distinct from the GTS3 at first, but at least it was something that people asked for. I remember when the GTS3 first came out and many people were turned off by the strong magnets and ridges. Then Moyu listened to us and gave us a ridgeless puzzle with weak magnets. Never have I met a single person who looked at the Gan X and said, "Oh, I wish this cube had a slightly different GES system with fewer settings and a lack of magnet customization!"

Gan puzzles aren't awful, but their company practices for the last few years have been sad, especially since they were so much more innovative back in the day.

The moral of the story is to just buy a valk 3

I'll go ahead and make that a spoiler since everyone else on this website is probably sick of me talking about this but I'll go ahead and talk about it again.

I find that the zz method is more for the novelty than for practical speedsolving
Including subsets like ZZCT, ZZ could possibly be the method of the future, and it's far from being a novelty considering its movecount and high TPS ceiling.

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
Don't say it don't say it don't say it don't say it

Okay, I'm gonna say it.

Gan cubes are fine, but the company itself is an absolute embarrassment to the community. Ever since 2018 with the release of the Gan 356 X, there has been nothing but recycled mechanisms. The Gan 354 was their last original puzzle. The Gan 356 X has the exact same mechanism excluding customization options and size. As of September 11th of 2018, there has been a total of 3 unique 3x3 piece designs, being the 354/X, XS, and the 11 Pro. Would you like to guess how many 3x3 puzzles Gan has produced (excluding smart cubes and the monster go series) since then? 16. Imagine taking 3 puzzle designs and milking them for 16 puzzles. It's absolutely atrocious. That's not even taking into account that Gan is marketing these puzzles as being completely unique. More than 75% of their releases are the same exact puzzle with different magnets, GES, or plastic coatings. Gan straight up ignores the fact that cubes like the M and X are the exact same puzzles in almost all of their marketing. The way they handle their marketing is anti-consumer at best. Now, the way that Moyu handled the original WRm is much more honest and straightforward. It wasn't perfect, they still marketed the cube as being completely distinct from the GTS3 at first, but at least it was something that people asked for. I remember when the GTS3 first came out and many people were turned off by the strong magnets and ridges. Then Moyu listened to us and gave us a ridgeless puzzle with weak magnets. Never have I met a single person who looked at the Gan X and said, "Oh, I wish this cube had a slightly different GES system with fewer settings and a lack of magnet customization!"

Gan puzzles aren't awful, but their company practices for the last few years have been sad, especially since they were so much more innovative back in the day.

The moral of the story is to just buy a valk 3

I'll go ahead and make that a spoiler since everyone else on this website is probably sick of me talking about this but I'll go ahead and talk about it again.

Including subsets like ZZCT, ZZ could possibly be the method of the future, and it's far from being a novelty considering its movecount and high TPS ceiling.
I dont care how long it is, its going in my signature