• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

Hssandwich

WCA
2013SAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
https://www.worldcubeassociation.or...SA&eventId=333oh&years=&mixHist=Mixed+History
So Eric Vissepo now holds USA OH NRs...? But they're really slow?
And who the heck is Paul Lin or Alex Gonzalez? Why are they both credited with NRs with times that are way higher than the current and previous NRs?
Eric used to hold Puerto Rican NRs in pretty much everything, but Puerto Rico was recently updated to be a part of the US, so his nationality has now been changed. The results are still listed as NRs though, I guess because it would be unfair to ignore them?
I don't know much about Paul or Alex though, so I can only guess that they were also NRs of countries that are now part of the USA.

bren077s

Ok, just wondering, how many people when they watch people that are really fast feel like they are going really slow and then somehow have really good times? A lot of the time when I am watching fast solves, the solve seems to go pretty slow and I feel like the solve took a lot longer than it actually did. When I solve, it generally feels so much faster and yet my solves are so much slower. Does anyone else experience this and does anybody know why this happens(besides the fact that I am not good)?

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, just wondering, how many people when they watch people that are really fast feel like they are going really slow and then somehow have really good times? A lot of the time when I am watching fast solves, the solve seems to go pretty slow and I feel like the solve took a lot longer than it actually did. When I solve, it generally feels so much faster and yet my solves are so much slower. Does anyone else experience this and does anybody know why this happens(besides the fact that I am not good)?
I know the feeling. You'll be watching someone turning at a decent speed, but nothing amazing, and they'll stop and it'll be an 8.
This is mostly because of lookahead. When you solve, you don't notice all the micro pauses that you have between steps. Take a video of a solve or two and watch it. You'll be surprised at how many pauses you have. This is also (probably) due to adrenaline.

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
Did they ever try like a "round-robin" head to head event? Like you start with 16 people, they all get the same scramble, but they sit face to face, and they both put their hands on the timer. The judge would say, "Go" and they let go of the timer and lift the cover and start the solve. Whoever finishes first, wins that round and the other person is eliminated. They work their way down to a final 2 solvers, one becoming champion. There wouldn't be a set amount of inspection time, the faster they can inspect and start the solve, the better.
This must have been tried, right? A link to a video would be great if anyone has one.
Brian

bren077s

Did they ever try like a "round-robin" head to head event? Like you start with 16 people, they all get the same scramble, but they sit face to face, and they both put their hands on the timer. The judge would say, "Go" and they let go of the timer and lift the cover and start the solve. Whoever finishes first, wins that round and the other person is eliminated. They work their way down to a final 2 solvers, one becoming champion. There wouldn't be a set amount of inspection time, the faster they can inspect and start the solve, the better.
This must have been tried, right? A link to a video would be great if anyone has one.
Brian

That sounds amazing

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
Or, a relay race type event where there are two teams of 3 people. All 3 puzzles are covered. The judge says, "Go" and the first person on each team starts to solve. When the first person is done and they drop their cube on the table, the second person on the team can uncover their puzzle, etc.
I think it would build some suspense, like you would be thinking, "even though team one is ahead at the first solver, maybe team two can catch up"
It would also be interesting to see how people would choose their teams.

EntireTV

Many people talk about this but I've never had this actually happen to me... I'm usually just in amazement

Rcuber123

WCA
2014TAMI01
Brian
That's a knockout. A round Robin is everyone against everyone with no elimination

efattah

Brian

In freediving (breath-holding) contests it is usually like cubing, the best time wins and everyone starts at a different time. In 2005 the first ever head-to-head elimination event was held, the rule was simple, just hold your breath longer than your opponent and you move to the next round, the time is irrelevant. The competition was a big success (and huge budget, in front of the Prince of Monaco), but sadly the format was never adopted again. It would be an excellent spectator sport for cubing, but the luck issue is a big problem.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
No way... anyone else ever done this?

Average of 5: 11.48
1. 11.48 U2 R' D2 L2 R U2 L' D2 F2 U2 L' D' B U B' L' U L2 D' F2
2. (10.97) U2 B2 L2 F' L2 D2 R2 B2 U2 F R2 U L F R U2 R2 D' L' D B2
3. 11.48 R2 D' F2 U F2 L2 D' R2 D2 R2 F2 L U L F' L2 R D U2 B' L2
4. 11.48 U2 F2 R2 B2 L2 U2 B2 F2 U' R2 F' L' F2 U' R B2 U' L B' D B2
5. (11.48) F2 D2 B' D2 U2 B2 U2 R2 B R2 U F R' B2 L R U R' D R'

efattah

No way... anyone else ever done this?

Average of 5: 11.48
1. 11.48 U2 R' D2 L2 R U2 L' D2 F2 U2 L' D' B U B' L' U L2 D' F2
2. (10.97) U2 B2 L2 F' L2 D2 R2 B2 U2 F R2 U L F R U2 R2 D' L' D B2
3. 11.48 R2 D' F2 U F2 L2 D' R2 D2 R2 F2 L U L F' L2 R D U2 B' L2
4. 11.48 U2 F2 R2 B2 L2 U2 B2 F2 U' R2 F' L' F2 U' R B2 U' L B' D B2
5. (11.48) F2 D2 B' D2 U2 B2 U2 R2 B R2 U F R' B2 L R U R' D R'

Most I have had is two consecutive solves with exactly the same time... never 4 of 5 !!

PaintballCat

Has anyone ever done this?

so I did a random 5x5 solve, stopped the timer and didn't even look at the time. Just kinda, went on and did whatever for a few minutes.
Looked at the screen later and realized I PB'd. By 10 seconds. (3:05, I don't like big cubes)