• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] One-Handed Solving Discussion

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I struggle at doing pinky flick R'. So I do Index finger push for it. I know all of OH fingertricks but can't turn fast. That's the problem
The best thing to do right now is just to endure being slow and do 100 solves.
You will get faster. It takes time though. If you do an average of 100 everyday (or just an hour of OH solving), compare your times today to your times next Monday. You might not notice a difference between each day, but you will have improved a lot by the end of the week

Last edited:

swburk

I just started trying to learn 3x3 one-handed solving. Right now I’ve just been practicing finger tricks and getting comfortable.

Once I start doing solves, it seems like the first thing I should do is learn some OLL and PLL algs that work better with one hand.

What are the best ones to start? I would assume any algs that use M moves (H, Z, U perms) would be the hardest to do OH.

Are there other things I should focus on or do instead of relearning algs?

Hazel

Premium Member
M/U can be quite good OH—watch some of Kian Mansour's Roux OH solves to see how he uses the table and try to mimic that.
G-perms are my first thought of separate algs you'd need to learn for OH, as well as V, E, and N.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just started trying to learn 3x3 one-handed solving. Right now I’ve just been practicing finger tricks and getting comfortable.

Once I start doing solves, it seems like the first thing I should do is learn some OLL and PLL algs that work better with one hand.

What are the best ones to start? I would assume any algs that use M moves (H, Z, U perms) would be the hardest to do OH.

Are there other things I should focus on or do instead of relearning algs?
When you are first starting OH, RUL algs will be the fastest and easiest, but then as you get better at turning, your standard RUD, RUF, and even MU algs from 2 handed solving will become as good or better. In my opinion, you should learn better algs for some cases like U, Z, V, and G perms, but not for every case.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use ZZ so I have literally nothing to say regarding OH OLL other than that I'm sorry that you have to deal with it.

I'm not a big fan of MU algs for EPLL; unless you're going to spend the time to get really good at M moves because you use Roux, getting really good at such a different type of turning to make it worth it just isn't worth it for the 3 algs.
I do use the standard MU Hperm for OH though, because that one is good enough to be worth it, IMO. <R2 U2 R U2 R2 U2 R2 U2 R U2 R2> is good enough to start, but I find that it's pretty meh, so I would recommend learning the MU one eventually.

Other ones:
Z - R' U' R2 U R U R' U' R U R U' R U' R' (this one is fast enough to warrant not learning the MU)
E - I use the normal one. RUD is fast, what else can I say.
V - R U2 R' D R U' R U' R U R2 D R' U' R D2
Gd - R U R' U' D R2 U' R U' R' U R' U R2 D'
Gb - R' U' R U D' R2 U R' U R U' R U' R2 D
Gab - I use the normal ones with wide moves and the rotation
Ub - z U' R U' R' U' R' U' R U R U2' (I prefer this to the inverse of the standard -- the RU uperms are fast enough too over MU ones)
Jb - The standard RUF is still very good, but being able to do z<RUD> jperms from a bunch of different angles to reduce AUF is also really fast. Maybe not something to worry about until you get faster though.

D

Deleted member 55786

I know how to basics on how to turn the cube with one hand but actually solving F2L and o, and pll is confusing to me. Any advice or tips?

Romy4

I haven’t started learning OH but I’m considering it (I just ordered the new 54.5mm Xman tornado :) ) I average sub 20 two handed and I started cubing in feb. How long does it take to learn OH and what sort of time would be good when I average 19 seconds two handed? Plus do I have to learn new algs or can I use normal OLL and PLL?

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
How long does it take to learn OH
Depends on the person. First of all, decide which hand to use. It's easier to learn with your "non-dominant" hand because then you don't have to mirror your solution. For example, if you solve the cube mostly with RU, use your left hand. Next, learn the four important fingertricks. U/U', and R/R'. You already know the fingertrick for U' from two handed solving and perhaps U as well. Most will assume you use your left hand but you can just mirror if you use right). Watch Brody's video to learn how each fingertrick is done.

Once you master these basic fingertricks you're pretty much all set to solve OH.

And what sort of time would be good when I average 19 seconds two handed?

Again, it depends on the person. On average, cubers take two times longer to solve OH than two hands. But there are very skilled OH solvers who solve OH much closer to their two handed speed. Don't be discouraged if you take longer than 2x though. It mostly comes down to how much you practice OH.

Plus do I have to learn new algs or can I use normal OLL and PLL?

You can use normal OLL/PLL if you like, but for certain cases most people prefer to use different algs that are better for OH.

Romy4

Depends on the person. First of all, decide which hand to use. It's easier to learn with your "non-dominant" hand because then you don't have to mirror your solution. For example, if you solve the cube mostly with RU, use your left hand. Next, learn the four important fingertricks. U/U', and R/R'. You already know the fingertrick for U' from two handed solving and perhaps U as well. Most will assume you use your left hand but you can just mirror if you use right). Watch Brody's video to learn how each fingertrick is done.

Once you master these basic fingertricks you're pretty much all set to solve OH.

Again, it depends on the person. On average, cubers take two times longer to solve OH than two hands. But there are very skilled OH solvers who solve OH much closer to their two handed speed. Don't be discouraged if you take longer than 2x though. It mostly comes down to how much you practice OH.

You can use normal OLL/PLL if you like, but for certain cases most people prefer to use different algs that are better for OH.
Thank you for your reply. I think I’ll start learning after my exams ( :

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello. I avg about 25-26 seconds on OH currently and I believe that I can I improve upto low 20 seconds simply by practising as this is what I averaged before quiting cubing for almost 1.5 years.
I am aiming for sub -17 on OH now. My method is CFOP. What can I do to improve further? I mostly use 2 look OLL except for some cases and 1 look PLL except for G perms.