• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] One-Handed Solving Discussion

xyzzy

So im going to a competiton and I want to compete in OH which im starting to practice for like the first time ever and I average around a minute.
Literally just turn faster. Do one-handed drills to get your turning speed up, and also to get the algs in your muscle memory. Assuming you're using your left hand for OH, use your pinky for R/R' moves and your index for U/U' moves, and mostly hold the cube with your thumb and middle finger. (Thumb-and-ring grip is probably fine too, and it lets you use index-middle double flicks for U2. I'm not an OH expert, so I can't tell you which is better.)

As long as you're not reinforcing bad habits, sub-45 shouldn't take very long. Maybe a week or two?

KillerCuber

Hi
I am new to OH and for the next competition I want to compete in OH. But the problem is it tooks me 5 minutes to solve it with OH

xyzzy

Hi
I am new to OH and for the next competition I want to compete in OH. But the problem is it tooks me 5 minutes to solve it with OH
See the last few pages of posts in this thread.

First solution!! Lookup j perm OH on YouTube. Great vid. And second: practice. And practice. And practice table abuse. And practice.
For the most part, don't bother with table abuse. Table abuse for stuff like MU H perm or Z perm is fine, and obviously if you use Roux you can (and probably should) table-abuse LSE too, but in general using the table is a crutch and can prevent you from learning how to handle the cube properly.

"But Max Park does that!" Yeah, and you're not Max Park.

xyzzy

I'm currently using F(RUR'U')F'f(RUR'U')f' for dot cases but it takes way too long, is there a better alg for OH?
Yes: try (r U r' U2 R U2 R' U2 r U' r') or (R' U2 r U' r' U2 r U r' U2 R). (These are also faster for 2H so you should learn them regardless!)

But also just start learning full OLL, imo. Your F2L is relatively solid (about as fast as mine, and I average 22-23) but you're wasting a lot of time on the last layer.

GAN 356 X

How do I get better at finger tricks? currently I average 1:20 on OH and know full pll and a 1/4 of oll. For some reason some of the plls I mess up every time because I am so used to doing it 2 handed. Suggestions?

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Never really done OH, but started this morning(night now here). I've been practicing/turning pretty much all day, and my the skin on my left pinky surrounding my fingernail is practically raw. Is this normal and I just build up a tolerance over time? If not, is it my cube? I use a GTS3M that's pretty much OOTB, so I'm theorizing that maybe it's because of the stronger magnets and lousy setup. What do you think? The finger is fine for most turns, but it mostly hurts during R since when I push my finger slides across the layer and the skin rubs against the side of my fingernail

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Is Petrus good for OH?

Seems pretty good to me, but I wouldn't fall into the trap of picking one method for TH and another for OH. 223 has decent economics, EO is solved with RUL mostly(with a couple Fs), RU your way through F2L(which is extremely fast), then just normal LL

YouTube
Visit Channel
Never really done OH, but started this morning(night now here). I've been practicing/turning pretty much all day, and my the skin on my left pinky surrounding my fingernail is practically raw. Is this normal and I just build up a tolerance over time? If not, is it my cube? I use a GTS3M that's pretty much OOTB, so I'm theorizing that maybe it's because of the stronger magnets and lousy setup. What do you think? The finger is fine for most turns, but it mostly hurts during R since when I push my finger slides across the layer and the skin rubs against the side of my fingernail
A 56 mm cube with ridges and strong magnets is not going to be good for OH. Get the Guhong v3 M, it is amazing for OH. I’ve heard the Wuwei is also good, and when Covid starts to fade, I will probably get one.