• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] One-Handed Solving Discussion

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Is Petrus good for OH?
Well I average 25 with it... Ergonomics are no worse than, say, CFOP though, imo.
Never really done OH, but started this morning(night now here). I've been practicing/turning pretty much all day, and my the skin on my left pinky surrounding my fingernail is practically raw. Is this normal and I just build up a tolerance over time? If not, is it my cube? I use a GTS3M that's pretty much OOTB, so I'm theorizing that maybe it's because of the stronger magnets and lousy setup. What do you think? The finger is fine for most turns, but it mostly hurts during R since when I push my finger slides across the layer and the skin rubs against the side of my fingernail
I hear the Tengyun is pretty good, really fast, light magnets.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is doing lefty double flicks for U2 moves instead of just doing U' U' worth it? I've tried it but having to do a regrip beforehand is annoying. I average around 16.5 with CFOP for reference.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is doing lefty double flicks for U2 moves instead of just doing U' U' worth it? I've tried it but having to do a regrip beforehand is annoying. I average around 16.5 with CFOP for reference.

Lefty U2 flicks are definitely a must for OH solving (R2 flicks too). Understanding when to do a U' U' or a double flick is also important.

Eidos are also super useful, which are a way to do a double turn by using a flick+push instead of flick+flick:
Left index flick from BLU to LFU and then push from LFU to UFR
Left index pull from FLU to LBU and then push from LBU to BRU

I average 14.5 with ZZ for reference.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks! How does one do an R2 flick? Is it just a z' and then a U2 flick? And when would you use it?
Pinky->ring R2 or an R2' eido (FRD to DBR to BRU). I use them for both of the easy Pi ZBLL OCLLs, depending on the direction:

R U2' R2' U' R2 U' R2' U2 R
R' U2' R2 U R2' U R2 U2 R'

where bold = eido, and italic = pinky ring flick.

For the both U2s and R2s, you just shift your middle finger or ring finger, respectively, for the double flick, and then put it back. Your other finger should be able to support the cube. You should never have to rotate for <RU>.

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi I currently average sub-25 in OH and want to be sub-20. My main method is CFOP and the main problem is the cross. It really takes up a lot of the time and I feel like I do it inefficiently. F2L is pretty decent for now and I use 2look OLL and full PLL, although I use 1 look OLL for some easy/ finger-trickable OLLs. Any tips on getting faster? Also I am currently learning full COLL and am thinking to switch from OLL to PLL, to COLL to EPLL. Also any other alg subset that might be useful in getting faster? I recently got to one handed solving and have been doing OH for about 2-3weeks and couldnt get past the sub-25 barrier. I really want to get better at it.

mukerflap

Hi I currently average sub-25 in OH and want to be sub-20. My main method is CFOP and the main problem is the cross. It really takes up a lot of the time and I feel like I do it inefficiently. F2L is pretty decent for now and I use 2look OLL and full PLL, although I use 1 look OLL for some easy/ finger-trickable OLLs. Any tips on getting faster? Also I am currently learning full COLL and am thinking to switch from OLL to PLL, to COLL to EPLL. Also any other alg subset that might be useful in getting faster? I recently got to one handed solving and have been doing OH for about 2-3weeks and couldnt get past the sub-25 barrier. I really want to get better at it.
CPeoll > 2gll is fun

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How can I Improve from 2:00 to sub minute OH? Btw I know 39 OLLs out of 57 and full PLL . I average 25 with 2 hands. Please help.

When you are starting out OH and averaging 50+, then the first thing that you want to be able to do is turn the cube. This is something that just takes a lot of practice. Your fingers will have to get used to it, and it's as simple as that. Lookahead and efficiency are there own things, but you can get really fast with crap solutions as long as you can turn fast. The best thing to do right now is just to endure being slow and do a 100 solves.

These are the videos that I used when I started learning OH.

(starts at 3:47)

They're a quite old at this point, so if you search "how to solve the rubik's cube OH" then you'll get a bunch of recent videos by Jperm, Brody, and CubeSkillz all on OH turning. I haven't watched any of them, but they're probably sufficient.

I struggle at doing pinky flick R'. So I do Index finger push for it. I know all of OH fingertricks but can't turn fast. That's the problem
R' is pretty damn hard when you're a beginner, getting used to it is the solution, make a 2 gen (scrambles that can be solved only using RU turns) practice session and do a lot of solves on them, once you're used to it, do normal solves and get used to other turns like F too.

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
When you are starting out OH and averaging 50+, then the first thing that you want to be able to do is turn the cube. This is something that just takes a lot of practice. Your fingers will have to get used to it, and it's as simple as that. Lookahead and efficiency are there own things, but you can get really fast with crap solutions as long as you can turn fast. The best thing to do right now is just to endure being slow and do a 100 solves.

These are the videos that I used when I started learning OH.

(starts at 3:47)

They're a quite old at this point, so if you search "how to solve the rubik's cube OH" then you'll get a bunch of recent videos by Jperm, Brody, and CubeSkillz all on OH turning. I haven't watched any of them, but they're probably sufficient.
Yeah I've watched all of them. Even Brody's 2 look OLL.