• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] One-Handed Solving Discussion

Jlvs2run

What's a good fingering sequence for doing Niklas, such as any of the following?
L U' R' U L' U' R
R' U L U' R U L'
L' U R U' L U R'
R U' L' U R' U' L

Last edited:

Y2k1

WCA
2017AHME03
any tips for eoline?
I do my eolines usually a y or x from the face I do eo on to make it more ergonomic (if I can plan an eoline that doesn't use the R face, I'll put that as B and do eo a y' from front) This is kinda like how asmallkitten does his eoline. (I'm sub-18 with zz OH)

Liam Wadek

WCA
2017WADE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys. I have a competition in about a month where I chose to compete in 2x2, 3x3 and OH. I can do OH, but i'm really slow and the time limit/cutoff is 1min30. I can't do finger tricks well at all with one hand and my average is around 2min35. Does anyone have any tips on improving?

xyzzy

Hey guys. I have a competition in about a month where I chose to compete in 2x2, 3x3 and OH. I can do OH, but i'm really slow and the time limit/cutoff is 1min30. I can't do finger tricks well at all with one hand and my average is around 2min35. Does anyone have any tips on improving?
If you're reasonably fast at two-handed solving (i.e. sub-30): Carry a cube with you wherever you go and drill random algs on it (e.g. U perm, T perm, etc.) constantly. You can easily accumulate dozens of hours of practice time in this way, and it'll also build up muscle memory for the last layer algs.

If you're still using LBL and do the last layer in more than four looks, learn 4LLL and try to learn intuitive F2L. If you're having difficulty picking up F2L in a month (which is completely normal), here's One Cool Trick to improve LBL efficiency: after you finish your cross, finish your first two layers slot by slot, rather than corners-then-edges. This immediately gets rid of all the "annoying" cases where the edges are in the wrong slots and you need to spend 14-15 moves to move an edge to the correct slot. (This advice isn't specific to one-handed solving.)

As far as fingertricks go, assuming you use your left hand for OH, the essential ones are just:
- U with index (push either the FRU sticker or the LBU sticker away from you)
- U2' with index followed by middle (push BUL towards you with each of those fingers)
- R' with ring/pinky (push either FRD or DRB away)
- R2 with ring followed by pinky (or the other way; push BDR towards you)
- U' and R should be obvious

Thumb moves for F/F'/F2 are useful, but not necessary.

Egor

I finished CFOP and COLL for OH, but I want to learn more algorithms, but I can't find subsets which are good for OH, please, can you give some advices. What should I learn?(not ZBLL, OLLCP, VLS)(my OH average is 18s)

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I finished CFOP and COLL for OH, but I want to learn more algorithms, but I can't find subsets which are good for OH, please, can you give some advices. What should I learn?(not ZBLL, OLLCP, VLS)(my OH average is 18s)
Do you use ZZ? If so, there isn't many other options besides ZBLL (which is pretty awesome btw). If you're not up for full ZBLL, you could look into 2GLL or ZZLL.
If you use CFOP then you could learn some of the nice VHLS cases (orient edges during the last slot) to get a COLL case each time.

Egor

Do you use ZZ? If so, there isn't many other options besides ZBLL (which is pretty awesome btw). If you're not up for full ZBLL, you could look into 2GLL or ZZLL.
If you use CFOP then you could learn some of the nice VHLS cases (orient edges during the last slot) to get a COLL case each time.
Thank you, Ill learn some VHLS

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Good OH cube (that isn't the valk)?
MoYu Mini Weilong v2 - not many stores sell this anymore. It's old so it's not popular much anymore but it was (and I think it still is) one of the best OH cubes ever.
Weilong Gts v1 - you probably own one. They're nice
MoFang Jiaoshi mini 3x3 (45mm) - it may seem too small to turn but it's actually pretty good

And of course.
I don't really like the Valk much, but it is okay for OH
I use it when my OH main (Mini Weilong) is dying.

Last edited:

Hazel

Premium Member
The best way to improve at OH, especially at your level, is to get faster at regular 3x3. Spend some time on that, and try out OH again, and you'll naturally be faster.

CraZZ CFOP

WCA
2018HUGE02
Practice lookahead on normal 3x3 and your OH times will drop
If you cannot confidently do each F2L case that is worth knowing (a.k.a. at least one piece is on the top layer) while blindfolded, lookahead is not worth knowing. Also, you should learn how to do each F2L case really efficiently and to not rotate a lot. OH fingertricks are also really important.

AMCuber

Yes, but I wrote that assuming that you do know your F2L with confidence. You naturally learn more advanced OH fingertricks over time if you would practice OH a lot.

SnappyCuber

So im going to a competiton and I want to compete in OH which im starting to practice for like the first time ever and I average around a minute.

It would really helpful if i got some tips.

Thank you!