• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

K2Cubing

i was looking through the WCA regulations on there site and i was trying to figure out what was a +2 and DNF for clock because i had just got a new one (it was my first and it was a Shensho magnetic) but i could not find anything. can somebody tell me what the regulations are so that when i decide to do the event i know. also do the pins count? like i mean the puzzle isn't in the same position as it was when it was scrambled? so dose that mean it is a penalty or not.

by the way i don't really like solving clock and mine isn't the most joyous to turn but i am just interested on the information.

Steve AC

This will happen to me every now and then. I will mistake a G perm for an A perm for example, dialing in the incorrect pll as fast as I can then drop the cube and stop the timer.

If this was an official WCA 3x3x3 event, what happens now?

Llewelys

You didn't solve the cube so it's a DNF: this solve and your best one won't count in the ao5.

Let's say you average 25s and you get the following times: 23, 32, 19, 28, 21

If you DNF the 32, nothing changes:
23, (DNF(32)), (19), 28, 21 = 24 ao5

If you DNF the 21, your worst time (32) will count:
23, 32, (19), 28, (DNF(21)) = 27.66 ao5

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
What everyone has said is exactly right. One more thing to remember is that the regulations aren't method specific - ie. they aren't geared toward CFOP or another method. So if your question is to do with a specific method, just be aware that you won't (or at least shouldn't) get special treatment. As an example: if you're doing Roux and are an M off at the end, that's a DNF even though you're treating Ms as a single move (the WCA uses HTM, where a slice turn is actually 2 outer turn moves).

Steve AC

Thanks everyone for your responses and support. I have another question after everything I have learned so far. What happens if you have 2 or more DNFs in your 5 solves? How is your average calculated?

Also how do you win a competition? Is there two categories for winning, such as best single time of 5, vs best average of 5?

Humble Cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks everyone for your responses and support. I have another question after everything I have learned so far. What happens if you have 2 or more DNFs in your 5 solves? How is your average calculated?

Also how do you win a competition? Is there two categories for winning, such as best single time of 5, vs best average of 5?

1. If 2 or more of your solves are DNFs, it makes your whole average a DNF, because when calculating the average you remove the best and worst times and calculate it using the other 3 times, a DNF would be your worst time in any average, so it get removed, and thats why you still have an average with 1 DNF, but if you have 2 DNFS then its considered a DNF average because even after you remove a DNF as your worst solve, there is still one remaining in the middle 3 times.

2. The winners of a comp are determined by average of 5.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel

If you get two or more DNFs you get a DNF average, which is basically just an automatic last place

For 3x3 it's based on average of 5 and single doesn't matter, but that's not true for every event. 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, one-handed, pyraminx, megaminx, skewb, square-1, and clock are average of 5. 6x6, 7x7, and sometimes FMC (if there are 3 attempts) are mean of 3 (every solve counts rather than dropping best and worst). All blindfolded events (and FMC if there are less than 3 attempts) are best of 3 (sometimes less than 3 for MBLD and FMC) so only your best single is important.

Steve AC

So for 3x3 events, someone could break a world record for a single time, but still lose the competition if someone else has a higher average of 5?

Steve AC

Everyone keeps asking me whats the fastest time someone solved a Rubik's cube, but idk that information. I range between 18~21 average on a good to bad day. I should know the answer to this stuff, right?

xyzzy

That depends on the competition.

The forum weekly competitions have no ranking-based prize, but there is a giftcard winner chosen randomly out of all participants (regardless of how fast or slow they are).