• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

YouTube
Visit Channel
The cubing in the USA website only lists 3 results under "Single" and none under "Average" for 3x3 Multi-BLD state records. Does this mean that only 3 people have ever competed and successfully completed solves in 3x3 Multi-BLD? I see California lists 55 results...
View attachment 13306
It probably means only 3 people have competed.
California has a much larger population than Colorado.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That is probably correct. Keep in mind that:
1. I believe multiBLD doesn't show averages. I know Kit Clement has a multiBLD "average", but it doesn't show up there for Oregon.
2. CubingUSA accounts are optional. Many USA competitors don't have them, and only those with CubingUSA accounts will show up in state records. So the state records are not truly complete.
3. I'm sure there are lots more competitors from California than from Colorado.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
That is probably correct. Keep in mind that:
1. I believe multiBLD doesn't show averages. I know Kit Clement has a multiBLD "average", but it doesn't show up there for Oregon.
2. CubingUSA accounts are optional. Many USA competitors don't have them, and only those with CubingUSA accounts will show up in state records. So the state records are not truly complete.
3. I'm sure there are lots more competitors from California than from Colorado.
Thanks I was wondering but didn’t explicitly ask if the WCA records were directly tied to the CubingUSA ones and it sounds like they aren’t. So the WCA stops tracking records at the national level then it seems. Is that correct?

is cubingUSA still our best/ most comprehensive option for looking up state records then?

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks I was wondering but didn’t explicitly ask if the WCA records were directly tied to the CubingUSA ones and it sounds like they aren’t. So the WCA stops tracking records at the national level then it seems. Is that correct?
Yes. Or else they'd have to do the same for other "divided" countried like Canada, the UK, Australia and more.
is cubingUSA still our best/ most comprehensive option for looking up state records then?
Yup. They're the official SRs

Delta Phi

WCA
2014DEYA01
Hi guys, recently I've started practicing clock, and thats because only recently was I able to actually open up by clock with a chisel so I could perform this mod. As you see, I glued on custom made clock faces, because the printed clock faces were all misaligned so that it was extremely difficult for me to decide whether or not I had actually solved the puzzle. I did it a little ad hoc because I wasn't sure it was going to still work, so the cutting/hole punching/arrows are a bit shoddy.
38D845A5-E02B-4278-BABC-0740A4261A85.jpeg4B17ADCB-AF95-4EE3-B69B-843C91195647.jpeg
Is it legal as is? Would I have to replace the faces with more uniform printed faces?

GenTheThief

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys, recently I've started practicing clock, and thats because only recently was I able to actually open up by clock with a chisel so I could perform this mod. As you see, I glued on custom made clock faces, because the printed clock faces were all misaligned so that it was extremely difficult for me to decide whether or not I had actually solved the puzzle. I did it a little ad hoc because I wasn't sure it was going to still work, so the cutting/hole punching/arrows are a bit shoddy.
View attachment 14149View attachment 14150
Is it legal as is? Would I have to replace the faces with more uniform printed faces?
Those are definitely distinguishable and not legal, particularly the purple cut-outs on the Middle Right and the Upper Right.
As far as I know though, if you are able to execute this well enough, custom inserts should be perfectly legal.

xyzzy

WCA
2016XYZZ01
Ah yes, the Lingao with its garbage registration.

They're definitely illegal under current WCA regs, but I see this as a sign that maybe the regs are overly/needlessly strict on what clocks should look like. (Then again, as people start getting the Shengshou or Qiyi clocks and the Lingaos fade into obscurity, this should also stop being a problem.)

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you are using the Repulsion 3x3 and stop the time with the puzzle right at 45 degrees, but then the magnets spin it so it is less than 45 degrees, is it still a legal solve?
I don't see why it wouldn't be. It would probably have to be as you're dropping the cube, just like normal magnets perfectly align the last layer on your last turn as you're dropping it.

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
does it count as a solve when your cube is solve but one center cap falls off or maybe a plastic cap on a corner or in a edge?

xyzzy

WCA
2016XYZZ01
If you are using the Repulsion 3x3 and stop the time with the puzzle right at 45 degrees, but then the magnets spin it so it is less than 45 degrees, is it still a legal solve?
Yep. The regs make it clear that only the final resting state of the puzzle counts. If somehow you managed to make a super-low-friction cube and left the U layer spinning, the judge would have to wait for it to stop to decide whether it's a +2 or not.

10b) Only the resting state of the puzzle, after the timer has been stopped, is considered.

Jam88

YouTube
Visit Channel