• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

teboecubes

WCA
2015TEBO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm making a video about the ivy cube, and I'm saying that the ivy cube is a shape mod of both the skewb and pyraminx because the skewb and pyraminx are similar puzzles. Is this correct, and if not, what would be more accurate?

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm making a video about the ivy cube, and I'm saying that the ivy cube is a shape mod of both the skewb and pyraminx because the skewb and pyraminx are similar puzzles. Is this correct, and if not, what would be more accurate?

It's basically this cube from Nathan Wilson but without the tips.

Also, this does not need its own thread, this is the kind of thing for the one answer question thread.

xyzzy

Is there any main-worthy 4³ release that allows for internal edge magnetisation? I know the Wuque allows for it (because my main is an Wuque that's magnetised that way, duh), but lol @ maining the Wuque in tyool2020.

The Wuque's internal edges can split apart along the short axis, and there's a really thin hole that just barely allows stuffing a 5×0.8 magnet in there. This was the way I magnetised my Wuque's inner layers (magnet in internal edge not pictured, but you get the idea):
Kx03Ijs.jpg

The Wuque obviously wasn't designed to accommodate magnets like this and the 5×0.8 magnets in the internal edge can't be pushed in deep enough for there to be a strong attraction with the wing piece's bottom magnet. Nevertheless, it works, and the inner layers don't suffer from the double bump present in most other even-order cubes (exceptions being the Valk 2 and the MGC Elite 2).

Another possible magnet layout is to place a magnet in the wing piece where the "×" in the "4×2 N38" caption above is; the hole there fits 3×1.7 very snugly. There's plenty of room in the internal edge piece for wide magnets (from eyeballing, around 7 mm diameter) and thickness is limited to around 2 mm. I haven't tried this.

There's yet another possible magnet layout, although this one won't work with the Wuque. The internal edges of some cubes (e.g. Yusu R, YLM 4, YLM 6, original Meilong 4?) have a "trench" that you can directly place the magnets in. I have the Yusu R and have sort of tried this: magnets fit, but the cube sucks too much for me to tell whether the magnets are doing anything useful. (I don't have the YLM 4, YLM 6 or Meilong 4, but from the photos it looks like the trenches there do fit magnets.)

There may be other possible layouts that I haven't thought of.

In particular, if you have any of these cubes:

* Aosu GTS2/GTS2M/WR/WRM;
* new batch non-magnetic Meilong 4 (do these have the same stickerless half-bright shades as the factory-magnetised Meilong 4?);
* (any other top-tier-when-magnetised cube I'm forgetting about?);

could you check (i) whether the internal edges can be split (or whether it allows for any of the three magnet layouts mentioned above) and (ii) what size of magnets fit in there? (You probably have loads of spare 4×1 and 4×1.5 magnets! Please use those to help you check. Eyeballed size measurements are not useful unless you also have superhuman eyeballs.)

(It would also be interesting to know whether the design of, say, the MGC 4 or the MGC 6 allow for internal edge magnets, but that's a lot less relevant since those already have wing-wing magnets and there's no non-magnetic variant sold.)

Last edited:

I'm A Cuber

Is there any main-worthy 4³ release that allows for internal edge magnetisation? I know the Wuque allows for it (because my main is an Wuque that's magnetised that way, duh), but lol @ maining the Wuque in tyool2020.

The Wuque's internal edges can split apart along the short axis, and there's a really thin hole that just barely allows stuffing a 5×0.8 magnet in there. This was the way I magnetised my Wuque's inner layers (magnet in internal edge not pictured, but you get the idea):
Kx03Ijs.jpg

The Wuque obviously wasn't designed to accommodate magnets like this and the 5×0.8 magnets in the internal edge can't be pushed in deep enough for there to be a strong attraction with the wing piece's bottom magnet. Nevertheless, it works, and the inner layers don't suffer from the double bump present in most other even-order cubes (exceptions being the Valk 2 and the MGC Elite 2).

Another possible magnet layout is to place a magnet in the wing piece where the "×" in the "4×2 N38" caption above is; the hole there fits 3×1.7 very snugly. There's plenty of room in the internal edge piece for wide magnets (from eyeballing, around 7 mm diameter) and thickness is limited to around 2 mm. I haven't tried this.

There's yet another possible magnet layout, although this one won't work with the Wuque. The internal edges of some cubes (e.g. Yusu R, YLM 4, YLM 6, original Meilong 4?) have a "trench" that you can directly place the magnets in. I have the Yusu R and have sort of tried this: magnets fit, but the cube sucks too much for me to tell whether the magnets are doing anything useful. (I don't have the YLM 4, YLM 6 or Meilong 4, but from the photos it looks like the trenches there do fit magnets.)

* new batch non-magnetic Meilong 4 (do these have the same stickerless half-bright shades as the factory-magnetised Meilong 4?);

could you check (i) whether the internal edges can be split (or whether it allows for any of the three magnet layouts mentioned above) and (ii) what size of magnets fit in there? (You probably have loads of spare 4×1 and 4×1.5 magnets! Please use those to help you check. Eyeballed size measurements are not useful unless you also have superhuman eyeballs.)

(It would also be interesting to know whether the design of, say, the MGC 4 or the MGC 6 allow for internal edge magnets, but that's a lot less relevant since those already have wing-wing magnets and there's no non-magnetic variant sold.)
I know the worm has that design with the hidden edges, idk about the centers

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel

Kx03Ijs.jpg

After looking on my GTS2, it doesn't look like that's a possibility, It also seems to be impossible with my MGC 6x6. Their internals are just too thin to allow for magnets to fit unless they are extremely thin.

Jam88

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a problem. Both my Gan 356 Air SM and my GTS2M have these lockups where the corner gets caught on the edge. I am not trying to corner cut, it happens when I do U2 flicks. I have my gan on green GES and no lube and my GTS2M quite loose and a drop of Weight 3. Any help would be appreciated.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a problem. Both my Gan 356 Air SM and my GTS2M have these lockups where the corner gets caught on the edge. I am not trying to corner cut, it happens when I do U2 flicks. I have my gan on green GES and no lube and my GTS2M quite loose and a drop of Weight 3. Any help would be appreciated.
I would recommend tightening those cubes.

chron0s

These are from a puzzle released in the last year but I have no idea what they’re for. Larger diameter - one set silver the other gold. What did I get these with? I’m absolutely stumped and have googled. Thanks to anyone who can help

Attachments

• 944C395A-8E91-4A5B-9047-59AAFEF7C18A.jpeg
    944C395A-8E91-4A5B-9047-59AAFEF7C18A.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 15

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I just loosened the screws in my stickerless WitTwo and I noticed there was black dust all over the screw, which combined with the traxxas I put in to create this black fluid all over the screw length. What's really puzzling is that the entire cube has no black plastic at all - the internal and external pieces are colored and the core is white. This doesn't seem to affect performance but I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I just loosened the screws in my stickerless WitTwo and I noticed there was black dust all over the screw, which combined with the traxxas I put in to create this black fluid all over the screw length. What's really puzzling is that the entire cube has no black plastic at all - the internal and external pieces are colored and the core is white. This doesn't seem to affect performance but I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience.
I think it’s because the combined plastic dust of colours create a sort of grey black colour?
If you’ve ever painted you’ll notice splashing colours together gets you black/brown.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it’s because the combined plastic dust of colours create a sort of grey black colour?
If you’ve ever painted you’ll notice splashing colours together gets you black/brown.
hmm maybe. but this is pure black. I suspect it's dust that somehow got in

I noticed it happened on my little magic 2x2 too, so it's not just for one cube. Since 2x2s have their screws exposed this is probably how the dust got in.

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
I noticed it happened on my little magic 2x2 too, so it's not just for one cube. Since 2x2s have their screws exposed this is probably how the dust got in.
then wipe the insides and the outsides with baby wipes.
I highly reccomend it because the wipes can wipe off the dust, with barely any water to break the cube, just only a little bit water in the wipe to clean the cube.
No im not joking srsly

Guys today I got my first magnetic cube(a 3x3).
It is the Thunderclap v3.
It's really good but I want to ask a question, can I open the edges and corners to see the magnets and if yes,how??

Also which lube should I buy.. it needs to be cheap and 10ml.. is the maru lube good?

GAN CUBER

Maru is outdated I would recommend SCS Martian or any other weighted silicone lube