• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

xyzzy

Is there any main-worthy 4³ release that allows for internal edge magnetisation? I know the Wuque allows for it (because my main is an Wuque that's magnetised that way, duh), but lol @ maining the Wuque in tyool2020.

The Wuque's internal edges can split apart along the short axis, and there's a really thin hole that just barely allows stuffing a 5×0.8 magnet in there. This was the way I magnetised my Wuque's inner layers (magnet in internal edge not pictured, but you get the idea):

The Wuque obviously wasn't designed to accommodate magnets like this and the 5×0.8 magnets in the internal edge can't be pushed in deep enough for there to be a strong attraction with the wing piece's bottom magnet. Nevertheless, it works, and the inner layers don't suffer from the double bump present in most other even-order cubes (exceptions being the Valk 2 and the MGC Elite 2).

Another possible magnet layout is to place a magnet in the wing piece where the "×" in the "4×2 N38" caption above is; the hole there fits 3×1.7 very snugly. There's plenty of room in the internal edge piece for wide magnets (from eyeballing, around 7 mm diameter) and thickness is limited to around 2 mm. I haven't tried this.

There's yet another possible magnet layout, although this one won't work with the Wuque. The internal edges of some cubes (e.g. Yusu R, YLM 4, YLM 6, original Meilong 4?) have a "trench" that you can directly place the magnets in. I have the Yusu R and have sort of tried this: magnets fit, but the cube sucks too much for me to tell whether the magnets are doing anything useful. (I don't have the YLM 4, YLM 6 or Meilong 4, but from the photos it looks like the trenches there do fit magnets.)

There may be other possible layouts that I haven't thought of.

In particular, if you have any of these cubes:

* Aosu GTS2/GTS2M/WR/WRM;
* new batch non-magnetic Meilong 4 (do these have the same stickerless half-bright shades as the factory-magnetised Meilong 4?);
* (any other top-tier-when-magnetised cube I'm forgetting about?);

could you check (i) whether the internal edges can be split (or whether it allows for any of the three magnet layouts mentioned above) and (ii) what size of magnets fit in there? (You probably have loads of spare 4×1 and 4×1.5 magnets! Please use those to help you check. Eyeballed size measurements are not useful unless you also have superhuman eyeballs.)

(It would also be interesting to know whether the design of, say, the MGC 4 or the MGC 6 allow for internal edge magnets, but that's a lot less relevant since those already have wing-wing magnets and there's no non-magnetic variant sold.)

Last edited:

I'm A Cuber

Is there any main-worthy 4³ release that allows for internal edge magnetisation? I know the Wuque allows for it (because my main is an Wuque that's magnetised that way, duh), but lol @ maining the Wuque in tyool2020.

The Wuque's internal edges can split apart along the short axis, and there's a really thin hole that just barely allows stuffing a 5×0.8 magnet in there. This was the way I magnetised my Wuque's inner layers (magnet in internal edge not pictured, but you get the idea):

The Wuque obviously wasn't designed to accommodate magnets like this and the 5×0.8 magnets in the internal edge can't be pushed in deep enough for there to be a strong attraction with the wing piece's bottom magnet. Nevertheless, it works, and the inner layers don't suffer from the double bump present in most other even-order cubes (exceptions being the Valk 2 and the MGC Elite 2).

Another possible magnet layout is to place a magnet in the wing piece where the "×" in the "4×2 N38" caption above is; the hole there fits 3×1.7 very snugly. There's plenty of room in the internal edge piece for wide magnets (from eyeballing, around 7 mm diameter) and thickness is limited to around 2 mm. I haven't tried this.

There's yet another possible magnet layout, although this one won't work with the Wuque. The internal edges of some cubes (e.g. Yusu R, YLM 4, YLM 6, original Meilong 4?) have a "trench" that you can directly place the magnets in. I have the Yusu R and have sort of tried this: magnets fit, but the cube sucks too much for me to tell whether the magnets are doing anything useful. (I don't have the YLM 4, YLM 6 or Meilong 4, but from the photos it looks like the trenches there do fit magnets.)

* new batch non-magnetic Meilong 4 (do these have the same stickerless half-bright shades as the factory-magnetised Meilong 4?);

could you check (i) whether the internal edges can be split (or whether it allows for any of the three magnet layouts mentioned above) and (ii) what size of magnets fit in there? (You probably have loads of spare 4×1 and 4×1.5 magnets! Please use those to help you check. Eyeballed size measurements are not useful unless you also have superhuman eyeballs.)

(It would also be interesting to know whether the design of, say, the MGC 4 or the MGC 6 allow for internal edge magnets, but that's a lot less relevant since those already have wing-wing magnets and there's no non-magnetic variant sold.)
I know the worm has that design with the hidden edges, idk about the centers

Sub1Hour

After looking on my GTS2, it doesn't look like that's a possibility, It also seems to be impossible with my MGC 6x6. Their internals are just too thin to allow for magnets to fit unless they are extremely thin.