• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer 3x3 Roux Question Thread

lerenard

If you want. Most roux solvers are at least somewhat color neutral. Most common are x2 and x2, y I believe. I personally am totally color neutral, but I suck at roux so that doesn't mean much. Whatever habit you set early on will be tough to break later, so you may want to just be totally color neutral since most people consider it to be better if you start off with it.

Brold

If you want. Most roux solvers are at least somewhat color neutral. Most common are x2 and x2, y I believe. I personally am totally color neutral, but I suck at roux so that doesn't mean much. Whatever habit you set early on will be tough to break later, so you may want to just be totally color neutral since most people consider it to be better if you start off with it.

I think I will be somewhat color neutral. Thanks.

Just starting with roux, I'm a 30-40 second solver with CFOP and continue to have dedicated practice to CFOP, but I was wondering with Roux, I have 2LCMLL down, and wanting to learn more of the "lookahead" so to speak for blcokbuilding. Whats the best way to do that?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just starting with roux, I'm a 30-40 second solver with CFOP and continue to have dedicated practice to CFOP, but I was wondering with Roux, I have 2LCMLL down, and wanting to learn more of the "lookahead" so to speak for blcokbuilding. Whats the best way to do that?
Slow solves is one of the best things you can do. Don't time yourself as much as you would with CFOP; go slowly and focus on, once you've seen one pair/block, looking for and tracking the next pair. You should try to avoid thinking about what you're currently solving.

relevant quote:
something that Alex said helps with turning: turn fast when you know what your doing, and turn slowly when you're unsure.

sub20oneday

i love h and z perms and doing l6e im sub 30 and im not sure if i should start using roux because im terrible at look ahead also how hard is it to get resources on it like algs guides etc

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
i love h and z perms and doing l6e im sub 30 and im not sure if i should start using roux because im terrible at look ahead also how hard is it to get resources on it like algs guides etc

It's really not that hard. Go to Waffle's site and you'll essentially get all the stuff you need. I'm essentially sub-15 and my lookahead is pretty terrible anyway. All the algs are on Algdb and if you ever have questions just ask in the help and discussion thread.

zen3gr

Hello everyone.
Im just messing with Roux just to have an idea from the method.
I've solved the cube using the method about 3-4 times, but the 2 of them the last them was the permutation of the edges of the U layer and I did with the 2look pll algorithms I know from CFOP (I used the CW Edge 3-cycle and the CCW Edge from this pdf http://badmephisto.com/2LookPLL.pdf). Is it alright, I mean are there any special algorithms for the roux last step?

In another solve my last step was E2 M' E2 M from a site that I found through google that showed the state of my cube.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are four cases for the last step:
U2 M' U2 M
U2 M U2 M'
U2 M2 U2 M2
E2 M' E2 M

These are all commutators and are all intuitive, but I believe most people learn them as algorithms.

zen3gr

And what would you say the general steps are?
I guess from what I've read that they are the below:
one block in side
another in the opposite side
then solve the layers of the U layer, after that you check for highlights, if there are you go on, if not you apply the same algorithm as CFOP for not having headlights,
then you must count the bad egdes and apply one of the appropriate algorithms to solve them,
after that I think that whats next? you apply one the four algorithms TDM wrote?

Thanks for the answers

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
And what would you say the general steps are?
I guess from what I've read that they are the below:
one block in side
another in the opposite side
then solve the layers of the U layer, after that you check for highlights, if there are you go on, if not you apply the same algorithm as CFOP for not having headlights,
then you must count the bad egdes and apply one of the appropriate algorithms to solve them,
after that I think that whats next? you apply one the four algorithms TDM wrote?

Thanks for the answers
For Roux?

1: solve a 1x2x3 block on the left side
2: solve a 1x2x3 block on the right side
3: solve the corners of the U layer. I don't know what you mean about headlights and CFOP here.
4a: orient edges
4b: solve UL and UR edges
4c: permute edges using the algorithms in my last post.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd disagree with this for FB. Too much weird stuff like B D F E U2 and whatnot

True. I don't particularly like FB. But... I guess it's similar to cross, which also has bad fingertricks. It's slower than cross, definitely, but it's a small part of the solve so I don't think those first steps are much of a disadvantage to either method.

mmmdin

True. I don't particularly like FB. But... I guess it's similar to cross, which also has bad fingertricks. It's slower than cross, definitely, but it's a small part of the solve so I don't think those first steps are much of a disadvantage to either method.

where do you learn the roux method?