• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer 3x3 Roux Question Thread

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Doh. But I don't see any sig...
Don't know why that is - maybe you're on mobile? It won't show there. Either way, here are the CMLL lists I have bookmarked:

2H algs
PenguinsDontFly's (Kian Mansour) algs
Zak Walter's algs
My (Louis de Mendonça) algs
Waffo's (Jules Manalang) CMLL page (very outdated, only included for completeness)
Kirjava's (Thom Barlow) thread (also a bit outdated)
Austin Moore's algs
Arcio1's (Artur Kristof) algs
/u/thamma's algs
/u/maxwellj02's algs
Daily CMLL (a series on reddit where I posted one case a day - I gathered them from multiple sources and people also commented their own algs in the comments section, so there are quite a few to choose from here)
BindeDSA's (Jabari Nuruddin) algs
Shiv3r's algs
Donovan's algs
CriticalCubing's algs
AlgDB.net
ftRouxles (Anto)'s algs
Rob Yau's OLLCP table

OH algs
My algs
Kavin (RH) and Kian (LH) - you can mirror the algs which aren't for your hand
Jeremy Geels' algs
Roussell Roberts' algs
ftRouxles (Anto)'s algs
Jeremy Geels (F <R,U> F' algs only; incomplete)
The following are OH COLL lists. Although some cases aren't optimal for CMLL, many of these are easily good enough.
Antoine Cantin's COLLs
Peter Hung's COLLs

Last edited:

deadcat

Yup, I'm on mobile. Thanks a lot! So many options.
Can't stay with the good old 2 look pll & oll forever.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yup, I'm on mobile. Thanks a lot! So many options.
Can't stay with the good old 2 look pll & oll forever.
Haha, yep, there are. That was part of the reason I did the daily CMLL on reddit: not only is 1-2 algs per day a comfortable speed for most people, but the only other place with multiple options (algdb.net) is horribly organised and you can't actually link to CMLL at all, which is incredibly inconvenient. It's apparently getting re-organised soon, though I don't know when it will be finished.

deadcat

So as a hopeless noob it takes me around 3 minutes to solve a 3x3 with Roux. Hey, it's better than the 10 minutes it took me a week ago.

Anyway, I'm following recommendations and trying to plan the first square and track the other 2 fb pieces using unlimited inspection time. Going for x2/y color neutral. The problem is it takes me around 3 minutes just to do this inspection... I must be stupid. If I only use 15 sec inspection, the solve time is longer by maybe 30 sec.

Should I continue training planning with unlimited inspection, or should I just practice solving with 15 sec inspection at this stage?

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel
So as a hopeless noob it takes me around 3 minutes to solve a 3x3 with Roux. Hey, it's better than the 10 minutes it took me a week ago.

Anyway, I'm following recommendations and trying to plan the first square and track the other 2 fb pieces using unlimited inspection time. Going for x2/y color neutral. The problem is it takes me around 3 minutes just to do this inspection... I must be stupid. If I only use 15 sec inspection, the solve time is longer by maybe 30 sec.

Should I continue training planning with unlimited inspection, or should I just practice solving with 15 sec inspection at this stage?
keep using unlimited. but because it's taking so much time, try just memorizing first square. once you can do that consistently under 15 seconds, add in the other 2 fb pieces. when you get the hang of that, memorize the whole first block (this usually happens around 15-20 seconds, so in the far future).

deadcat

keep using unlimited. but because it's taking so much time, try just memorizing first square. once you can do that consistently under 15 seconds, add in the other 2 fb pieces. when you get the hang of that, memorize the whole first block (this usually happens around 15-20 seconds, so in the far future).
And keep on trucking with x2/y color neutrality, right? I feel it's seriously slowing me down, but should be worth it in the long run...?

And keep on trucking with x2/y color neutrality, right? I feel it's seriously slowing me down, but should be worth it in the long run...?

I average just over a minute with Roux, so take my 2 cents with caution and trepidation.

I figured I'd learn to be color neutral with Roux. I was color neutral with my variation of the beginner's method (which isn't saying much, I know.) Haven't learned CFOP.

I learned Roux with Yellow on top, Red in Front. And before I knew it, I'd grown accustomed to the scheme. I see the pieces quicker in the block building, and especially in the LSE stage. When I try a solve with any other orientation, my times grow exponentially.

Is it worth going color neutral? In the long run? You'll find mixed fiercely mixed opinions here. All I can say for sure is, it's much easier in the short run to stick to an orientation. But, that would also make it harder to go neutral in the future.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I average just over a minute with Roux, so take my 2 cents with caution and trepidation.

I figured I'd learn to be color neutral with Roux. I was color neutral with my variation of the beginner's method (which isn't saying much, I know.) Haven't learned CFOP.

I learned Roux with Yellow on top, Red in Front. And before I knew it, I'd grown accustomed to the scheme. I see the pieces quicker in the block building, and especially in the LSE stage. When I try a solve with any other orientation, my times grow exponentially.

Is it worth going color neutral? In the long run? You'll find mixed fiercely mixed opinions here. All I can say for sure is, it's much easier in the short run to stick to an orientation. But, that would also make it harder to go neutral in the future.
There isn't really a mixed opinion on this: the consensus states that it is best to be as CN as possible though it is generally not worth full CN over x2/y because the potential for nicer blocks is much lower. It's just that there are some who are very fixed in one or two orientations and don't feel like switching though those that have, such as pdf who went from x2 y2 to x2 y recently have stated there is a significant benefit/advantage. I have always been pretty much x2 y from the start and have done some experimenting with full CN but there isn't really that much of an advantage with something significantly better only coming up once in every 20 solves.

Basically, go x2/y for the whole time as it will enable you to go for any pair or almost any block which will come up in a typical scramble.

deadcat

depends on your goals. sub 15 might be faster with just y2, but as you get to sub 10 and on, it definitely pays to be more color neutral.
I'd love to be sub 10, if I can survive the journey. I'll stick with x2/y.
Thanks!

deadcat

One more noob question. When building the first block, and going for no rotations, should it be built in the correct place from the start, even if it means B moves and such?

deadcat

It's still technically a B move, but to do a B move a cube rotation is needed, so its usually either (x' U) or (x D),
Right, so (x' U x) is faster than B? Is that personal preference or universally accepted due to fingertricks limitations?

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Right, so (x' U x) is faster than B? Is that personal preference or universally accepted due to fingertricks limitations?
I think B is faster, because to do a B move, you can just regrip 1 hand instead of doing a rotation which is the equivalent of doing 2 regrips. With that being said, it will depend on what the moves are. example of a time when B is very fast: R B. example of a time when x' U x is faster: x' R U R' U' x

deadcat

Second block question: is it usually better to first connect a corner to an edge (and then set up center+edge and merge them), or a center to an edge (and then insert corner+edge)? Assuming no CFOP bias.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Second block question: is it usually better to first connect a corner to an edge (and then set up center+edge and merge them), or a center to an edge (and then insert corner+edge)? Assuming no CFOP bias.
What's best? Depends on what the scramble is. However in practice most people just choose one method. I think the majority of people do the second one since it's easier to look ahead to it from FB, but I do it the first way.