• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Will I get to Sub 8 with Petrus?

• Yes

Votes: 149 80.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 19.9%

• Total voters

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes. I want to see how far Petrus can go in speedsolving, compared to other (way) more explored methods such as CFOP, Roux and ZZ. It’ll probably be way harder than just switching to one of the previously mentioned methods, due to the lack of resources and development, but still doable. I predict it to take 3, maybe 4 years starting from now, but hey, I still have a lot of free time on my hands. At the time of writing I am sub 30, but expect that to go down fairly quickly until around sub 15.

So I thought this would be a good place to post my times, ask questions, and hear your thoughts on this.
My plan is to train each of my steps individually for the next few years, improving specifically on certain areas, and putting them together. So lets get into it!

My practise regime for the next few months - work on each step, improving their efficiency then speed. Learn COLLs alongside that. Come back to any weak spots like 2x2x3. Work on inspection time usage. Drill LL algs until like sub 1.5. Practise lookahead as much as possible, use metronome. Start learning full ZBLL alongside other things. Repeat.
———————————————————
Week 1- 2x2x2 block and Sune COLL
Current average: Sub 6
Current No. Moves: 10
Goal:
Sub 5 average
Sub 8 moves
Know all Sune COLL algs
Comment: The sub 5 is getting tricky, as I had to redo my blockbuilding technique, making it easier for low move count, but harder to improve speed, as its unpractised. I know the Sune COLLs now, but need to work on execution and recognition.
———————————————————
Week 2-2x2x2 block and T COLLs
Current average:Sub 7
Current No. moves:8
Goal:
Sub 5 average
Sub 7 moves
T COLLs
Comment: Going to continue trying to get sub 5 averages here, and also lower the move count slightly.
Times with Petrus:
3x3 average: 25.87
3x3 OH average: 1:25.18
3x3 FMC average: 57 HTM
———————————————————
Week 3 - 2x2x2 block and expansion
Current average (both): sub 10
Current No. moves for expansion: 10 (eek)
Goal:
Sub 8 average
Sub 16 moves
Comment: I’m going to try keep my average and move-count down for 2x2x2, and refine my expansion technique. It’s bad. Very bad.
Times with Petrus:
I can’t even post because my times are so bad, as my first two steps have been rebuilt.
Goal:
Sub 8 average
Sub 16 moves
Comment: Doing better, but still need to wrap my head around this new block building technique, and lookahead.
Goal:
Sub 6 average
Sub 7 moves
Comment: Practising lookahead during first block, and using inspection to plan some of the 2x2x3. I actually learnt T COLLs cause why not.
Times with Petrus: Check out my updated records.
——————————————————————
Week 6 - 2x2x3 block and U COLLs
Current average: sub 8
Current No. moves for expansion: sub 6 (going slow)
Goal:
Sub 6 average
Sub 7 moves (normal speed)
Comment: Doing pretty well now, just need to speed it up and lookahead during 2x2x2 block. Copied down U COLLs, started learning. Only 20 more COLLs left! (Obviously I started with 7, that’s 35, then I learnt Sunes, 30, left Anti-Sunes cos not worth it, 25, and did T COLLs, 20.)
——————————————————————
Week 7 - 2x2x3 block and U COLLs
Current average: sub 10 (new technique)
Current No. moves for expansion: sub 8 (I can’t do this sub 6 FMC at even slow speed)
Goal:
Sub 6 average
Sub 7 moves
Comment: My last post on finishing the 2x2x3 up last week was wishful thinking. I’m going to shave off some time on the 2x2x2 through inspection use, and continue my expansion work. I really need to get better at my lookahead during 2x2x2, and CE pair recog (how to pair up, and in a nice place to connect with line)
——————————————————————
Week 8 - 2x2x3 block and U COLLs
Current average: sub 11 to sub 9
Current No. moves for expansion: sub 8
Goal:
Sub 7 average
Sub 8 moves
Comment: This 2x2x3 is taking forever. I just can’t find the pieces in inspection. I’ll try some more and decrease my 2x2x2 time a bit (I think I’m doing well with it) and go back to slow solving. As for the U COLLs, I’m just too lazy to learn. I got two last Saturday, but that’s it.
——————————————————————
Week 9 - Casual solving to get used to technique
Comment: Just going to casually solve, learn some algs, and time myself sometimes. I need a break... So just a week of no dedicated practise, then I’ll get back into it.
——————————————————————
Week 10 - EO training and L COLLs
Current average: sub 5
Goal:
Sub 4 average, maybe 3.5
Comment: All I really need to do is learn all the cases, train my recognition, and spam solves. I’m happy I finished the U COLLs at last lol, now I can move on. I’ll also integrate this with lookahead for finishing F2L, and might try the fixing bad edges during step 2. I think improvement with Petrus is mainly efficiency, and blending the steps together as much as possible, to maintain fluid solving and high TPS.
——————————————————————
Week 11 - EO training and L COLLs
Current average: sub 5
Goal:
Sub 4 average
Comment: Still working on lookahead during 2x2x3. My alg learning laziness isn’t helping with COLL. I could probably learn the whole set in a week if I tried.
——————————————————
Week 12 - Spamming solves & Pi COLLs
Current No. moves for F2L: 30-40
Goals:
Sub 35 movecount for F2L
Be comfortable with everything I’ve
learnt so far
Comments: A bit of time to reflect on what I’ve managed so far, lower movecount, and practise mindlessly. Almost finished COLL :p.
——————————————————
Week 13 - Back to 2x2x3 & Pi COLLs
Goal:
Learn all basic 2x2x3 cases, and work on using inspection for 2x2x2.
Sub 7
Comment: I was originally going to move onto F2L, but decided I couldn’t
ignore my 2x2x3, and that improving there would also help F2L
blockbuilding. It’s one of those steps I can’t improve just by
spamming solves.
I didn’t do Pi COLLs last week, since I was reviewing L COLL
recognition - the hardest so far.
——————————————————-
Week 14 - Finishing F2L and H COLLs
Goal:
Sub 6 with finishing F2L
Comment: I feel like lookahead during EO and TPS while turning RU can be greatly improved so that’s why I’ve set a high bar. As for COLL, I’m almost done, so I’ll be starting ZBLL soon :)
———————————————————————————
Week 15 - Wrapping things up and 2 side COLL recognition
Goal:
Sub 17/8 on F2L
Instantaneous COLL recognition
Comment: Finished off the ‘going round steps‘ thing now :)
Week 16 - Competition practise
Goal: sub 20
Comment: Since I’m going to a completion in less than two weeks now, I’m not going to try anything new for the next two weeks, just going to do lots of timed solving.
Week 17 - Competition practise
Goal: sub 20
Comment: sub 21 now, maybe I’ll get to sub 20 with some practise before comp. I’m going to start T ZBLLs this week.
Week 18 - Planning out 2x2x2 and learning SS T ZBLLs
Goal: Sub 20
Learn last few ZBLLs for the first subset of T
Plan out 2x2x2 every time
Comment: ZBLL started! I’ll do a couple algorithms per day, and drill what I know already along with that. Hopefully, this week, I’ll push to the sub 20 barrier and be able to call myself sub 20 with Petrus (faster than Lars now :)).
Week 19 - Drilling Last Layer algs + training SS T ZBLLs
Goal: Every COLL, PLL and ZBLL alg I know, to be sub 2, preferably sub 1.75 with some. SS T ZBLL recognition to be two sided, and almost instant.
Comments: So just some alg spamming, last layer scrambles, and yeah.
Week 20 - 2x2x2 efficiency + learning SO T ZBLLs
Goals:
-2x2x2 7 moves or under
-One looking it
-Inspection time to look for as many possibilities as I can
-12 algorithms learnt
Comments: So yeah, I’m going to work on my block efficiency, do slow solving, and also try looking at as many different corners to build the 2x2x2 around as possible in inspection.
Week 21 - 2x2x3 efficiency + drilling SO T ZBLLs
Goals:
- 2x2x3 15 moves or under
- Trying to find expansion corner in inspection
- 12 algorithms learnt
Comments: Being lazy with algorithms as usual, need to pick up the slack. I thought it
would be a good idea to expand my inspection capabilities further, so I
set this goal.
Week 22 - Break from speedsolving, doing BLD
Goals: Learn full M2, be sub 5 mins
Comments: So, I wanted to try something new for a bit, since if I just keep practising 3x3 speedsolving forever, I will go crazy. BLD seemed like a challenging option, so I went for it. I managed a couple of successes a while back before this thread was even created, but gave up a while afterwards, so at least I won’t be diving in with no knowledge at all.
Week 23 - 2x2x2 to 2x2x3 transitioning and LS recognition
Goals:
Sub 4 expansion
No unnecessary AUFs in LS
Comment: So hopefully, this week I will push my lookahead and inspection to the limit, and finally have a decent expansion time. When I finish that, I’ll also look into recognising LS cases better, since I frequently AUF to find the orientation on pieces and things.
Week 24 - 2 gen F2L
Goals:
Sub 4.3 F2L
Comment: My two gen blockbuilding tricks could be better, at the moment I do it pretty similar to 2x2x3, individually solving a pair, then connecting it with an edge. I need to pay more attention to where all 3 pieces for the 2x2x1 are before continuing, hopefully I’ll be able to do that during EO. And of course, my TPS could be way better here.
Week 25 - Individual steps
Goals:
Sub 4 expansion
Sub 4.4 F2L
Sub 4.2 Last Layer
Comment: It’s a long shot to be able to do this by the end of the week, but I’ll probably give it another week, and hey, maybe I’ll do it, and move onto 2x2x2 and EO.
Week 26 - Individual steps
Goals:
Sub 4 expansion
Sub 4.4 F2L
Sub 4.2 LL
Comment: Didn’t so much last week, was slightly ill, I hope to finish off this week :)
Week 27- Taking a break
Goals: Not much
Comments: I hope to do some more 4x4 this week, I’m sub 2 min now :)
Week 28 - Individual steps continued
Goals:
Sub 4 expansion
Sub 4.4 F2L
Sub 4.2 LL
Comment: I think I’ve got the 2x2x3 now, F2L needs a bit of work most of all. I’ll so some splits today probably.
Week 29 - Drilling new techniques + ZBLL
Goals:
Sub 15 average
Half of T set done
Comment: This week will mainly be solves, I’m doing pretty well with my previous goals, and I’m almost sub 15 right now, so I thought I should give myself a chance to stop learning new things and focus on practising what I already know. I haven’t really been learning ZBLL recently, I know a miserable 3/2 of a T subset so far (around 20 algs), along with COLL and PLL.
Week 30 - Working on planning 2x2x3 in inspection
Goals:
Be able to see one piece of the expansion in inspection
Comments: In the long run, this will really help with 2x2x3 speed, and it’s definitely going to be needed - it’s basically the equivalent of seeing an X Cross in inspection.
Week 31 - Taking a break
Comments: Haven’t been practising much lately, so I’m just going to take a break then get back into it.
————————————————————————————
Week 32 - Drilling F2L
Goal: Sub 4 F2L
Comments: Did some splits last week, concluded my F2L was one of my weaker points. Going to try some 2 gen scrambles.
Week 33 - Drilling F2L
Goal: Sub 4 F2L
Comments: Was pretty lazy last week, still need to work on F2L ;)
Week 34 - Expansion lookahead
Goal: Sub 4.75 2x2x3
Comment: My blockbuilding is OK once I find the pieces, but generally I take a while to find them, so hopefully I can work on that. I’ll also look into more inspection usage.
Week 35 - Expansion lookahead + ZBLL again
Goal: sub 4.75 expansion
Finish learning second T set
Comment: I’m a lazy boi :p
Week 36 - Break from 3x3, doing some side events.
Comment: B Day a few days back, I got a Square 1 and 2x2, waiting on a Megaminx too :)
Week 37 - Doing some splits, continuing work on 2x2x3
Goals:
Break sub 13.5
Learn a few more ZBLLs
Comments: Back, doing splits right now, hopefully they’ll be better than last time ;) I need to start practising more to be honest.
Week 38 - Going back to the old tutorials and lar5.com
Comment: I haven’t really learnt any new techniques in ages, and my blockbuilding style is still quite similar to when I was averaging over 20. I need to go back to the basics, perfect everything. I’ve already tried to do this when I was averaging 25~, but I haven’t learnt everything, which is why I’m going back to my old tutorials to make sure nothing is missed out. For example, lar5.com ‘s example solves and blockbuilding tricks. I never really had the patience to look through them and understand them the last time I visited the site, so I think I need to now, or I’ll never do it. Also I’m getting slightly frustrated with my times not seeming to improve, and just spamming solves, which is another reason for this. My average is probably going to go up after this, like last time, but I think it’ll be worth it long term. My movecount during actual solves doesn’t seem to be very impressive, as shown by my PB ao5, so I’ll have to work on that.
Week 39 - Continuing throwback session
Comment: Feel like I’ve learnt all I need to learn from lar5.com. It’s mostly designed to be efficient rather than speedsolvable, so I won’t use a lot of tips, but still found some useful blockbuilding tricks.
I think I’ll look at some of the Erik Johnson tutorials and Tao Yu’s example solves this week.
Week 40 - Getting comfortable with new techniques, doing some practise sessions
Comment: Done watching videos, some of it was quite eye opening, and I’m attempting to implement some of the techniques into my solves. I haven’t done a timed solve in a while, mostly slow solving and movecount practise. But I’ll see if I can do some averages near the end of the week.
Week 41 - Just an average practise week
Comment: Maybe some solves
Week 42 - Taking a break
Comment: Haven’t been properly practising lately, I’m going to... Have one week with NO cubing :O. I’ll come back in a week I think, and update then.
Week 43 - Slow, constant solving practise, trying to be as efficient as possible
Goal: Sub 14 with almost pause-less solves
Comment: I thought about it for a while, and decided that slow solving is the solution to my plateau. My solves are surprisingly inconsistent in terms of TPS, with bursts of speed after figuring out a solution.
Week 44 - Continuing from last week, focusing on expansion again
Goal: sub 4.5 2x2x3
Comments: Still the weakest point of my solve, need to focus on it. Plus it’s quite inconsistent at the moment. I could just spam solves to break sub 13, but I think that won’t be very helpful long term.
Week 45 - Just some solving
Goal: Sub 13
Comment: Been getting consistent 12s and 11s recently. I think I’ll break sub 13 at last soon
Week 46 - More solves, and ZBLL restart
Goal: Sub 12?????
Actually learn some ZBLL
Comments: Sub 12 seems kind of far fetched considering how long it took to go sub 13 but bigger goals tend to motivate more. And I feel like I really need to actually start grinding away at ZBLL - it’s been put off for too long.
Week 47 - Splits and ZBLL
Goal: 2 T sets of ZBLL done
Try for sub 12
Comment: Refreshed my old algs and memory last week for ZBLL, didn’t get much improvement out of grinding solves then. Will do some splits to practise individual areas
Week 48 - Just some solves
Goal: Sub 12
Comment: It’s kind of unrealistic but hey, gotta set big goals
Week 49 - Break
Comments: My fingers were kind of cramped last night from a few hundred solves and they still feel kind of weird today so I’m gonna put off cubing for a bit.
Week 50 - Splits, work on guide and competition
Goal: Sub 12??? Finish 2x2x3 section of guide and start EO
Comments: I always do better when I practise for splits since my expectations go higher, so lets try this. I also need to continue my guide. Plus I’m taking part in a competition on the forums.
Week 51 - Continuing last week
Comments: I didn’t manage to do a single thing from last week apart from the splits RIP. Let’s try this again
Week 52 - Read newest post
Week 53 - Long break
Week 54 - Coming back
Goals: Sub 13
Comments: Back from the break, just going to so some solves and get back into it this week :)
Week 55 - Grinding movecount
Goals: Consistent 55 or less movecount
Comments: I can always manage 40-60 moves when going slowly (like 2 times slower), but I just can’t do it in solves. I end up with 55 or more most of the time because in the time I have I can‘t find a decent solution fast enough, and I just choose the easiest.
Week 56 - Grinding movecount
Goals: Consistent 55 or less movecount
Comments: This week I’m trying this by solving a bit slower than usual, yet more fluidly. Hopefully that means that I can see better solutions in time.
——————————————————————————
Week 57 - Doing some casual solves, maybe some splits
Goals: Sub 12???
Comments: Half term for me, maybe I can break this barrier at last
Week 58 - Casual cubing for a bit
Comments: Not getting much time to cube, but I still do solves every day. This week I’ll just continue with that
Week 59 - Short break
Comments: I haven’t really been doing much cubing anyway.
Week 60 - ZBLL restart
Goals: 2 T sets of ZBLL learnt
Comments: I’m renewing my attempt to do full ZBLL today, and will also be casually practising :)
Week 61 - T set OS
Goals: Subset of ZBLL learnt
Comments: Doing pretty good at the moment, the last set’s algs are a little shaky but I should be able to strengthen them this week, since 12 algs for 7 days isn’t too bad
Week 62 - T set OS
Goals: Subset of ZBLL learnt
Comments: Got a cold last week so I couldn’t do much. Still have it right now, but hopefully I can finish the set this week.
Week 63 - Practise
Goals: Sub 12 brrrrr
Comments: I just want to start solving every day in sessions again and get myself motivated again tbh
Week 64 - Drilling
Goals: Sub 12.5
Comments: Christmas holidays, so I have more time for cubing :)
I’ve also got Permutation League coming up, so yeah.
Week 65 - Efficiency
Goals: To improve in general
Comments: I haven’t focused much on this aspect in the past few months
Week 66- Permutation League
Goals: Not to epicly fail
Comments: I'm in Permutation League (@Jam88 ), so hopefully I don't epicly fail. I'm not cubing too much nowadays, but still gonna be good fun
UPDATED SECTION (weekly target logs discontinued)
Sub 12 with Petrus right now
Ao5 PB currently 10.512
Single PB currently 8.262

Last edited:
C

Cubinwitdapizza

Yes, I'm serious. I want to see if Petrus can be used as a viable method compared to CFOP, Roux, and ZZ. It'll probably be a decade committment, but I think I can do it with lots of dedication. I'm currently averaging sub 30, so it's going to be a long hard slog towards national class average. It's over 20 seconds away, but still. i'm going to try. At least sub 15.

So I thought this would be a good place to post my times, ask questions, and hear your thoughts on this.
My plan is to train each of my steps individually for the next few years, improving specifically on certain areas, and putting them together. So lets get into it!
Week 1- 2x2x2 block
Goal: Sub 4
Comment: I need to work on using my inspection time well, to plan out my block all the way through before I begin.
I feel like it would be VERY hard to achieve even sub 12 with Petrus. Other methods have much more potential and have many more resources. There are hardly any videos on Petrus but quite a few more for CFOP being the most popular. Then Roux being the second most popular has a decent amount of videos. And then ZZ being Third has a few videos on it. I feel like you should switch to ZZ or Roux because there are still this block building elements to them so you would not be horrible using them at the start.

u Cube

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, I'm serious. I want to see if Petrus can be used as a viable method compared to CFOP, Roux, and ZZ. It'll probably be a decade committment, but I think I can do it with lots of dedication. I'm currently averaging sub 30, so it's going to be a long hard slog towards national class average. It's over 20 seconds away, but still. i'm going to try. At least sub 15.

Week 1- 2x2x2 block
Comment: I need to work on using my inspection time well, to plan out my block all the way through before I begin.
Good luck man! Don't give up! I'm sub-13 with roux, it takes work but it is well worth it.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I feel like it would be VERY hard to achieve even sub 12 with Petrus. Other methods have much more potential and have many more resources. There are hardly any videos on Petrus but quite a few more for CFOP being the most popular. Then Roux being the second most popular has a decent amount of videos. And then ZZ being Third has a few videos on it. I feel like you should switch to ZZ or Roux because there are still this block building elements to them so you would not be horrible using them at the start.
Myabe, but I'm committed to using Petrus now, and I can't stop.

efattah

———————————————————
Week 1- 2x2x2 block

Don't listen to the naysayers. Your goal can be achieved, it is only up to you to achieve it. In 2015 I came on here saying I wanted to be the first to get a sub-10 official average with a corners first method, people laughed and said it was impossible, at the time my average was around 28 seconds, now I average around 13 seconds and show no signs of stopping; sure I had to make lots of tweaks and improvements to the method, but you might end up doing that as well and come up with something better than before that benefits everyone.

C

Cubinwitdapizza

So if you do take this route here are some steps you could take. Improve your first block like you want to but after that instead of improving on a intuitive part learn 3 look last layer. (if you haven’t already.) Then I would keep improving on intuitive things until you are sub 20 then I would learn full PLL (Or COLL) and then keep improving your intuitive aspects of your solve. You could also learn ZBLL if you have enough dedication.

Edit: Oh and I forgot you need to be color neutral. So I would start learning that like right now because the longer you go the more you become used to white (or what ever color you start on.)

Last edited by a moderator:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
So if you do take this route here are some steps you could take. Improve your first block like you want to but after that instead of improving on a intuitive part learn 3 look last layer. (if you haven’t already.) Then I would keep improving on intuitive things until you are sub 20 then I would learn full PLL (Or COLL) and then keep improving your intuitive aspects of your solve. You could also learn ZBLL if you have enough dedication.

Edit: Oh and I forgot you need to be color neutral. So I would start learning that like right now because the longer you go the more you become used to white (or what ever color you start on.)
Lol, I've already done most of those things ;). I might learn COLL after a bit. I still need to work on my 2x2x3 though.

Billabob

This is very interesting, please keep us updated with your progress. I'm always glad to see people using "non-standard" methods rather than doing 20,000 solves on one of the 3 big methods. A lot of them have potential that is squandered by online naysayers who refuse to accept anything other than CFOP can achieve fast times.

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Good luck! I definitely think that you've given yourself a hard job, but it's certainly possible and hopefully, with the right techniques, you should get that goal! If I were you, focus on movecount first. The 2x2x2 technically should take no more than 8 moves iirc, then expansion no more than 11 (there are only 4 cases at this depth), otherwise, on average, 6 then 8 moves. EO is around 5 (remember you can use M moves to flip 4 edges with 3 moves) then right block should be about 10 moves. Then just slowly add algs to LL with the final goal of full ZBLL. Also, build block in back. Get used to it now (and being x2y neutral).

Once you consistently get near these movecounts (not just 2 solves in a row, but actually work at it), you'll have a very good grounding. Then work on inspection and tps at the same time.

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey there! I currently use Petrus as my main method, and although I took almost a year-long break, I'm still around 11s, though my average before the break was mid-9. I made a guide with Tao Yu on Petrus improvement as well that I'll link at the bottom of this potential wall of text. One of the big things with Petrus is to make sure you do your blocks with very little moves, and in the back so that your EO is easily recognized and has easy finger-tricks.

As PapaSmurf said, movecount should definitely be the priority, as Petrus is designed to have very little movecount as you are constantly building on that which you have already built, rarely breaking it up. There's not point in having 10TPS if you're at 120 move solves. Slow down to 4TPS and have 50 move solves and you're at the same speed.

Color-neutrality can also be very good for Petrus, but by providing many options, it can hinder your inspection ability as you are looking at many different possible blocks -- 8 blocks for the 2x2x2 and 3 for the expansion to the 3x2x2.

https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/how-to-get-faster-using-the-petrus-method.66235/

The above link is to the guide that Tao Yu and I wrote..

The below link is one of my averages to show that it is most definitely possible to be fast with petrus.

I also believe I still hold the UWR for the fastest Petrus single of 5.14, with a few sub-5 fails, so again, Petrus most definitely can be fast. Don't let the naysayers tell you otherwise! Go for it, because someone needs to pick up my slack!

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is very interesting, please keep us updated with your progress. I'm always glad to see people using "non-standard" methods rather than doing 20,000 solves on one of the 3 big methods. A lot of them have potential that is squandered by online naysayers who refuse to accept anything other than CFOP can achieve fast times.
I will! I’ll give you an update every Monday!
Good luck! I definitely think that you've given yourself a hard job, but it's certainly possible and hopefully, with the right techniques, you should get that goal! If I were you, focus on movecount first. The 2x2x2 technically should take no more than 8 moves iirc, then expansion no more than 11 (there are only 4 cases at this depth), otherwise, on average, 6 then 8 moves. EO is around 5 (remember you can use M moves to flip 4 edges with 3 moves) then right block should be about 10 moves. Then just slowly add algs to LL with the final goal of full ZBLL. Also, build block in back. Get used to it now (and being x2y neutral).

Once you consistently get near these movecounts (not just 2 solves in a row, but actually work at it), you'll have a very good grounding. Then work on inspection and tps at the same time.
Hey there! I currently use Petrus as my main method, and although I took almost a year-long break, I'm still around 11s, though my average before the break was mid-9. I made a guide with Tao Yu on Petrus improvement as well that I'll link at the bottom of this potential wall of text. One of the big things with Petrus is to make sure you do your blocks with very little moves, and in the back so that your EO is easily recognized and has easy finger-tricks.

As PapaSmurf said, movecount should definitely be the priority, as Petrus is designed to have very little movecount as you are constantly building on that which you have already built, rarely breaking it up. There's not point in having 10TPS if you're at 120 move solves. Slow down to 4TPS and have 50 move solves and you're at the same speed.

Color-neutrality can also be very good for Petrus, but by providing many options, it can hinder your inspection ability as you are looking at many different possible blocks -- 8 blocks for the 2x2x2 and 3 for the expansion to the 3x2x2.

https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/how-to-get-faster-using-the-petrus-method.66235/

The above link is to the guide that Tao Yu and I wrote..

The below link is one of my averages to show that it is most definitely possible to be fast with petrus.

I also believe I still hold the UWR for the fastest Petrus single of 5.14, with a few sub-5 fails, so again, Petrus most definitely can be fast. Don't let the naysayers tell you otherwise! Go for it, because someone needs to pick up my slack!
Thanks! I currently average around 60htm. Plus, what is x2y colour neutral, and how to flip edges using M?Lots of interesting info here.
Edit: In your guide 2180161, do you mean that i should do my 2x2x2 in 4 seconds, then my 2x2x3 in 6 seconds, or do you mean the expansion should take 2 seconds?

Last edited:

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I will! I’ll give you an update every Monday!

Thanks! I currently average around 60htm. Plus, what is x2y colour neutral, and how to flip edges using M?Lots of interesting info here.
Edit: In your guide 2180161, do you mean that i should do my 2x2x2 in 4 seconds, then my 2x2x3 in 6 seconds, or do you mean the expansion should take 2 seconds?

I believe the guide says something like "...and expand in a total of 6 seconds..." so I mean the expansion should only be 2 seconds. The reason being is you should at that speed, you should be able to one-look your 2c2c2 as it is very few moves (I do it in about 5 or 6 on average) so while you don't have a lot of time to look ahead during the solve, but if you're efficient, you can see more in inspection.

Nilsibert

WCA
2014FREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Very interesting, and respect for that commitment!
I don‘t know much about petrus, but I would suggest that you definitely learn coll and get used to quick recognizing. Being very good at recognizing coll is the perfect basis for getting into zbll. coll is also not terribly hard or a huge alg set, so it shouldnt take too long to learn. Plus, the earlier you learn it, the more time you‘ll spend using it so you should be getting really fast at it over time, at which point you can expand to zbll. Since you‘re already expecting years of practice, you can slowly and steadily add more and more zbll subsets to your knowledge without neglecting much practice of all the other things you can improve.
So good luck and I hope you keep at it, would be interesting to follow the progress :)

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Also I would learn how to recognize CO rn from COLL and start learning 1 ZBLL a day. Over time it’ll add up. I think it’s better to learn and drill one a day for a long period of time while you’re slower so you get faster and faster using more and more endgame algs. ZBLL is only hard because of recognition and practice amount.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I believe the guide says something like "...and expand in a total of 6 seconds..." so I mean the expansion should only be 2 seconds. The reason being is you should at that speed, you should be able to one-look your 2c2c2 as it is very few moves (I do it in about 5 or 6 on average) so while you don't have a lot of time to look ahead during the solve, but if you're efficient, you can see more in inspection.
... I'll need a lot of work in the 2x2x3 area. Also, can you give me some of your splits, so I can look at how much better one area of my solve is than others?

Edit: Are the Sune and Anti-Sune COLLs worth it?