• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Will I get to Sub 8 with Petrus?

• Yes

Votes: 149 80.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 19.9%

• Total voters
U

Underwatercuber

... I'll need a lot of work in the 2x2x3 area. Also, can you give me some of your splits, so I can look at how much better one area of my solve is than others?

Edit: Are the Sune and Anti-Sune COLLs worth it?
they aren't really worth it on their own but their ZBLL counterparts are worth it, so might as well learn the COLLs to get good at recog and pick up a few algs.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
... I'll need a lot of work in the 2x2x3 area. Also, can you give me some of your splits, so I can look at how much better one area of my solve is than others?

In the short term no unless your execution of sune and anti are bad. But by learning them you learn the fundamental recognition for their ZBLL which are worth using. Plus you’ll be able to have 1/12 for each corner permutation set done for their ZBLL and a small chance for skips

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

1569340899650.png

This was just an AO5 I did like as soon as I woke up and I'm also very sick, and out of practice so these probably aren't the best splits, but this is about where mine are. The splits are 1/2/3/4/5 = 2x2/3x2x2/EO/F2L/LL.
Also no clue why this looks bolded on my end

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Update: Know 4 Sune COLLs now, and attempting to break sub 8 moves consistently.

Edit: Developed new and improved way of building 2x2x2, need to practise it. Plus, I'm going to work on memorising some common cases (e.g. pair formed, edge in place, partial cross, etc) so I have an archive of different positions by the end of the week.

Last edited:

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you do want to use petrus using 2 look last layeris better than COLL PLL. Use OLL PLL for the time being with the goal to know full ZBLL (but that is long down the road). You have an advantage with ZBLL compared to CFOP. In CFOP a ZBLL comes up 1 in 8 solves.

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Please don't listen to tx789, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. COLL/EPLL is leagues better than OLL/PLL especially in methods with edges oriented such as Petrus or ZZ. Similarly, learning COLL/EPLL will be your best bet to finishing ZBLL as fast as possible, assuming that is your end goal as ZBLL uses a recognition method that is essentially COLL and then 2 other pieces (typically).

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Please don't listen to tx789, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. COLL/EPLL is leagues better than OLL/PLL especially in methods with edges oriented such as Petrus or ZZ. Similarly, learning COLL/EPLL will be your best bet to finishing ZBLL as fast as possible, assuming that is your end goal as ZBLL uses a recognition method that is essentially COLL and then 2 other pieces (typically).
If you do want to use petrus using 2 look last layeris better than COLL PLL. Use OLL PLL for the time being with the goal to know full ZBLL (but that is long down the road). You have an advantage with ZBLL compared to CFOP. In CFOP a ZBLL comes up 1 in 8 solves.
Any reasons why OLL/PLL is better? If I use COLL, I have 4 algs to pick from at the end, and a higher chance of PLL skip, so why not? Also, it makes for a good transition into zbll.

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any reasons why OLL/PLL is better? If I use COLL, I have 4 algs to pick from at the end, and a higher chance of PLL skip, so why not? Also, it makes for a good transition into zbll.
There are no reasons. He seems to not know what he is talking about. It will probably have something to do with certain COLL's being slower than the OLL, and while that may be true, the skip chance, less resulting algs as well as them being faster, far outweighs those maybe 5 algs.

C

Cubinwitdapizza

Ok well I just got done doing something, I pick my cube up and decide to do a Petrus solve. Ok normal sub 40 petruser here and then out of no where I get a 18. WhAt Is ThIs?!?!

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
^ I was a tiny bit surprised to see there aren’t any solves tagged as Petrus on cubesolv.es (although there are likely some tucked away in there somewhere).
There are a couple of old threads on here (sub-20 with 20 methods, sub-10 with 10) which I know had Petrus solves reconstructed by @Brest which might be of interest?

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
^ I was a tiny bit surprised to see there aren’t any solves tagged as Petrus on cubesolv.es (although there are likely some tucked away in there somewhere).
There are a couple of old threads on here (sub-20 with 20 methods, sub-10 with 10) which I know had Petrus solves reconstructed by @Brest which might be of interest?
Thanks!

Brest

Staff member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Unfortunately I don't think the tag system was ever fully implemented.
Search by cuber is probably the best way to find solves, if you know who uses Petrus.

www.cubesolv.es/2349
www.cubesolv.es/5379