• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Moyu Aolong 3x3x3 - Version 1

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Excellent

Votes: 64 67.4%
  • Above Average

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Average

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

Nilsibert

WCA
2014FREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My friend said my AoLong felt flimsy like it would fall apart, but of course it doesn't. It's just very fast and loose feeling. Maybe you will get used to it, or maybe it's just not for you. What cube did you come from? I think WeiLong to AoLong is more natural than like a Guhong to AoLong.

That's the thing, I come from a Weilong V2. I'm not sure why people are always comparing them, to me they're very different. I really like the feeling and everything of the aolong and I would love to love it, but when I solve, I can't keep it stable at the moment. I'll give myself more time to get used to it and breaking it in and I'll see how it goes. I'd love to have it as my new main because a corner of my weilong broke. It still works fine mostly, but locks up from time to time or just feels weird because of the corner stem just being loose in there.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's the thing, I come from a Weilong V2. I'm not sure why people are always comparing them, to me they're very different. I really like the feeling and everything of the aolong and I would love to love it, but when I solve, I can't keep it stable at the moment. I'll give myself more time to get used to it and breaking it in and I'll see how it goes. I'd love to have it as my new main because a corner of my weilong broke. It still works fine mostly, but locks up from time to time or just feels weird because of the corner stem just being loose in there.

Hmm, strange. I feel like they are very similar, and the mechanism shows that they are very similar. Are the tensions the same? Do all the corners feel loose in the AoLong? Mine don't really feel loose to me.

Nilsibert

WCA
2014FREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nope but the weilong has a far more stable feel.

Nice to hear, so I can assume that there's nothing wrong with my aolong. I'll see how it works out after a couple hundred solves or so. Stickers are on the way too. That doesn't have anything to do with the cube, but somehow my prefered stickers sonetimes make a big difference for me. It was the same with the weilong. Changing the stickers made me like it more and gave me more ambition to turn good somehow. It's weird.

AmazingCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is my review of the highly anticipated MoYu AoLong – a great cube, though not without its flaws. Watch the video to get to the bottom of the WeiLong v3. Enjoy! Feedback is also always welcome . . . ;)

[video=youtube_share;gt0x0DZUPsk]http://youtu.be/gt0x0DZUPsk[/video]

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am very late but nonetheless, wanted to post this!
Any critics?

It was like deja vu watching this review immediately after LACuber's above. Same comments in the same order. Uncanny.

The more I use my v1 the more I go off it. I love the easy corner cutting and forgiving feel, but it's just so unstable. Any tricky cross usually results in layers slipping and the thing flying out of my hands. Looking forward to the v2!

Edit: @LACuber, why do you call it the Weilong v3? Is that official? If not, it's probably unwise - what if a real Weilong v3 is launched next week?

Last edited by a moderator:
YouTube
Visit Channel
It was like deja vu watching this review immediately after LACuber's above. Same comments in the same order. Uncanny.

The more I use my v1 the more I go off it. I love the easy corner cutting and forgiving feel, but it's just so unstable. Any tricky cross usually results in layers slipping and the thing flying out of my hands. Looking forward to the v2!

Edit: @LACuber, why do you call it the Weilong v3? Is that official? If not, it's probably unwise - what if a real Weilong v3 is launched next week?
Ohh. Yeah. Normally I follow cyoubx style so was experimenting so I watched LACubers video and soon after watching it, I made my script, so some of his comments might have got stuck in my head. And, yeah. What you said, I agree. I personally use the Fangshi or the Weilong more than Aolong.
I have heard that V2 is worse than V1 so I will probably stick with my V1~!

AmazingCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel

I totally agree with you -- not only are many basis ideas the same, but also many formulations are an exact copy. The whole structure, ideas, comments, formulations, and more were way too similar. It's a shame.

The AoLong was marketed as the WeiLong v3.

Fawn

I got mine a few days ago and I am completely impressed.

Out of the box, it felt flimsy, as many have mentioned, and I honestly didn't like it at all. But, I tensioned it and lubed it and I am in love with it. It doesn't feel flimsy to me, and I have some pretty loose tensions. I've also been lucky in avoiding corner twists, save 2-3 total in ~500 solves.

The speed is ridiculously fast. I used a WeiLong for a main before this, and I didn't think another cube could quite reach that. However, the AoLong is significantly faster. At least mine is.

Perhaps the way I have mine set up will be considered uncontrollable by others. Most of my cubes, when used by others, are seen this way. They work well for me, though, simply because I have a very, very light turning style.

Overall, I personally love it. I don't plan on getting the v2 mostly due to negative reviews.

tpt8899

Dang... I'm really late for the review... anyway, this is my first atempt at a youtube video, so please don't kill me!
[youtubehd]Mj32pxWxRaE[/youtubehd]

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
I'm definitely not disappointed with this cube. My only speedcube before this one was the Dayan Zhanchi v5 (Didn't like it, personally). Yet this cube is perfect, corner cutting and reverse corner cutting is incredible. I've probably done over 1000 solves so far, it popped twice (Was because of my poor turning) and the corners have only twisted on me a few times. I've also tried someones v2, It isn't as fast but it's easier to control, corners aren't as easy to twist, and corner cutting seems to be about the same.

Oh, and I forgot to mention; I have had the cube for one month now and haven't changed the tensions or lubed it once.

Last edited:

TheMachanga

WCA
2010LECH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys, I just received a weilong and an aolong for Christmas from a friend. The Weilong is EXTREMELY fast and moves with almost no effort. However, the aolong was super tight and my hands would get tired after cubing on it. I loosened it and lubed it but its still not as fast as the Weilong was out of the box, and now the screws are poking out of the centers, causing the center caps to fall off. I don't know what to do now. People say the aolong is extrememly fast but mine is really really tight feeling (and loosening it has consequences).