• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Moyu Aolong 3x3x3 - Version 1

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Excellent

Votes: 64 67.4%
  • Above Average

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Average

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

Makarov

There's definitely some kind of factory lube in them. But I have a couple aolong's now and none of them feel gummy. I added some lubicle lube to one of them and its still fast and smooth.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Usually what I do for all my cubes it take out 3 or 4 pieces and coat the exposed sides in a thin layer of traxxis 50K. It starts off a little gummy, but after a few 5 to 10 minutes of random turning or straight up solves it's pretty well worked in. Fast forward 2 week, it's really fast and not gummy at all. And it'll likely still be a while before I have to reapply.

Traxxis 50K can get gummy pretty quickly so I've had to learn to apply traxxis sparingly. But $20 of traxxis has lasted me AND another cubing buddy for over a year so far. I still have over half a bottle left.

I didn't feel like taking the whole thing apart to lube the core, so I just put a drop of 25ct shock oil underneath all the screws, and let random solves and time work it down to the washers. It didn't completely get rid of the springy noises, but it did good enough.

I'm pretty tolerant of the springy noises, I guess.

sk8erman41

WCA
2015BURK01
I love this cube! The SS Aurora has been my main for a long time (I even have multiple in different places) but I believe it has now been dethroned. At first when I got the cube it really reminded me of the FangShi ShuangRen (a cube I do not personally like) and I was a bit skeptical. It had the same scratchy feeling and corner twist issues. I broke it in a bit and then disassembled, wiped it off, lubed the core, and tightened it up a bit (it was SUPER loose out of the box). Now this thing is nothing short of amazing! It does have a slightly different feel and when you get used to it everything else feels super square, but I cannot help but pick it up first out of all the other cubes in my collection. A+

weirdesky

I think he washed it in the dishwasher.

What about an oven ( i know im being lame :p)

Haha I melted my Weilong by setting it next to the exhaust vent on my laptop (because it was the only open area of my desk at the time). It started to get really slow, and my running theory is that it melted. I still have it somewhere, but it's such complete and total crap I haven't touched it in a year (I think I have three or four weilongs, now).

Usually what I do for all my cubes it take out 3 or 4 pieces and coat the exposed sides in a thin layer of traxxis 50K. It starts off a little gummy, but after a few 5 to 10 minutes of random turning or straight up solves it's pretty well worked in. Fast forward 2 week, it's really fast and not gummy at all. And it'll likely still be a while before I have to reapply.

Traxxis 50K can get gummy pretty quickly so I've had to learn to apply traxxis sparingly. But $20 of traxxis has lasted me AND another cubing buddy for over a year so far. I still have over half a bottle left.

I didn't feel like taking the whole thing apart to lube the core, so I just put a drop of 25ct shock oil underneath all the screws, and let random solves and time work it down to the washers. It didn't completely get rid of the springy noises, but it did good enough.

I'm pretty tolerant of the springy noises, I guess.

Is traxxis the standard now? I have lubix at home somewhere, is that still used? Or would it be a better idea to get Traxxis? I hate having to do maintenance on my cubes, so I haven't actually lubed a cube in over... several years.

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Haha I melted my Weilong by setting it next to the exhaust vent on my laptop (because it was the only open area of my desk at the time). It started to get really slow, and my running theory is that it melted. I still have it somewhere, but it's such complete and total crap I haven't touched it in a year (I think I have three or four weilongs, now).

Is traxxis the standard now? I have lubix at home somewhere, is that still used? Or would it be a better idea to get Traxxis? I hate having to do maintenance on my cubes, so I haven't actually lubed a cube in over... several years.

Traxxas and Lubix are the same, traxxas is just way cheaper ;)

Lagom

Mine was really nice and lubed out of the box.

Ive broken in, and relubed my cube now...

My first impression was that it was really nice. Then for the first few hundred solves I was not too happy with it, but I felt its potential.

Now that it´s broken in it´s really really nice. I have all the other cubes, and this one is the nicest by far. I do alg´s the fastest on this one, it has never popped, and only a couple of corner twists, and only during scrambles.

Super fast, super stable, and super fun to solve. Its got the "snappiness" that the other Moyus doesn´t.
5/5

Get it!

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
i dis-and reassembled my new aolong and it seems one of the screws doesnt have threads. wtf?

is this normal? how does it work?

EDIT: i guess this belongs in the one answer question thread. mods plz move?

Last edited:

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
Where the puzzle was purchased: SCMU
When the puzzle was purchased: 4 days ago
Thoughts on the puzzle: I got the same dry feeling out of the box. But surprisingly after breaking in it has become smooth like a Zhanchi

Nilsibert

WCA
2014FREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Got mine today, lubed and tensioned it. I have to say it's a huge dissapointment. It's flimsy, unstable and uncontrollable. I tightend it quite a bit, but no improvement. I guess that's just me? I can't really keep the layers aligned when solving, thus I lock up a ton. Maybe I just need to get used to it, I don't know :/

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: SCMU
When the puzzle was purchased: 4 days ago
Thoughts on the puzzle: I got the same dry feeling out of the box. But surprisingly after breaking in it has become smooth like a Zhanchi

Do you own a Zhanchi? Because mine feels nothing like my Zhanchi, other than being pretty fast. It's a lot more like my Weilong, but slightly more bumpy.

Got mine today, lubed and tensioned it. I have to say it's a huge dissapointment. It's flimsy, unstable and uncontrollable. I tightend it quite a bit, but no improvement. I guess that's just me? I can't really keep the layers aligned when solving, thus I lock up a ton. Maybe I just need to get used to it, I don't know :/

My friend said my AoLong felt flimsy like it would fall apart, but of course it doesn't. It's just very fast and loose feeling. Maybe you will get used to it, or maybe it's just not for you. What cube did you come from? I think WeiLong to AoLong is more natural than like a Guhong to AoLong.

Last edited:

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
Do you own a Zhanchi? Because mine feels nothing like my Zhanchi, other than being pretty fast. It's a lot more like my Weilong, but slightly more bumpy.
No, I don't own a Zhanchi, but I tried one out at a competition. My Aolong has its own smooth and blocky kind of feeling. I love smooth cubes, so :tu

Lazy Einstein

Alg Ninja
Earth, Solar system, Orion Spur, Milky Way
No, I don't own a Zhanchi, but I tried one out at a competition. My Aolong has its own smooth and blocky kind of feeling. I love smooth cubes, so :tu

Wait so you don't own a Zhanchi? Why are you comparing and Aolong to a cube you don't own? Doesn't seem like you would be able to give an accurate comparison.
Also I have been wondering something. Under your avatar, your join date says "Mar 2014" yet your signature says "cubing from May 10 2014". You joined speedsolving for 2 months before you started speedsolving?.. seems odd.

As for the Aolong. I prefer it to the Dianma, Shuangren, and Sulong, but I don't like it at all compared to the Weilong, Zhanchi, Maru CX3, and Yulong.
Aolong is too loose feeling. It is a fast cube but feels too loose for me. Feels like the 55mm Gans in a way for looseness.

Last edited: