• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Moyu Aolong 3x3x3 - Version 1

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Excellent

Votes: 64 67.4%
  • Above Average

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Average

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

Sridollaz

This thread is for reviews of the Moyu Aolong. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle.

When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:

• Where the puzzle was purchased:
  • When the puzzle was purchased:
  • Thoughts on the puzzle:
What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sridollaz

Moyu Aolong - should you buy it or not?

Hello speedsolving.com

My Moyu Aolong has recently arrived and I have decided to post a brief review on it and a in depth review will come at a later date.

The Moyu Aolong is a greatly anticipated cube as Moyu's previous model (Moyu Weilong v2) is used by many popular cubers. The Moyu Aolong is very different in feel and in turn of the cube itself. It corner cuts great out of the box but it can use a bit of lube as it has a "dry" feel when you turn it. Other than that, I can find no other problems with it. The mechanism for the Moyu Aolong could be compared to a cube that Dayan produces and I feel that is what sparked the copyright infringement case with Dayan and Moyu. Please note that this cube does make sounds when turned and occasionally, you may hear the springs when turning a specific side but I feel that these sounds may go away after applying lube. The Moyu Aolong provides you great control and after breaking it in, I might replace it with my main cube (Moyu Weilong v2). I would recommend this cube for anyone who needs a cube that could be considered the best in the market and the price of 12.55 (at cubezz.com) is definitely good. Once again, Moyu has produced a great cube that can be used cubers of all ages and I feel that it will get very popular very quickly.

UPDATE: After playing with the cube for a while, I have noticed that the center caps use a special design to stay on the cube and I will assure you that they will rarely pop.

Feel free to post any questions that you may still have on the Moyu Aolong in the comments section and I will try my hardest to reply to all of them. If you liked this review, please support my cubing magazine that I do with my friends at cubingmagazine.weebly.com

Cubeologist

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just got mine in the post today. I know that dry feeling you are talking about, not like the Fangshi exactly, but it kinda resembles the scratchy/swooshy feeling at first. And the spring problem was easily fixed by using heavy lube on the core. Mine is just starting to break in and I love it. At least as good as the Weilong, but just another opinion. I'm curious to see what the fast people think.

Sridollaz

Just got mine in the post today. I know that dry feeling you are talking about, not like the Fangshi exactly, but it kinda resembles the scratchy/swooshy feeling at first. And the spring problem was easily fixed by using heavy lube on the core. Mine is just starting to break in and I love it. At least as good as the Weilong, but just another opinion. I'm curious to see what the fast people think.

dsbias I agree that scratchy/swooshy feeling will most likely go away after a while and thanks for helping me fix the spring problem. What do you think of my first review?

Makarov

Just got mine in today, I agree it has that distinct fangshi "slidey" feeling. I noticed it less after some solving though - now it feels like a bumpier weilong. I don't like to solve on fangshis very much, they just feel strange to me like the sides are not stable. This cube on the other hand feels very stable.

Interesting feeling cube, maybe I'm just used to the sharp Dianma but the edges of the pieces on this feel really round and take some getting used to. No doubt this is a great cube, I could see myself using it instead of the weilong.

Cubeologist

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
What do you think of my first review?

I think you did a fine job with the review. I didn't see anything wrong or bad about it at least. Just as an update, this is now my main, I have never seen a cube break in this well before. It just keeps getting faster and smoother. Better than the Weilong for sure, in my modest opinion.
And if you are still having problems with the spring sound, go watch this video and it will show you how to fix everything. I'm sure you already know that stuff though. But yeah, I'm fairly new to the forums too, so welcome and keep getting faster with everyone!

Sridollaz

Makarov the cube is definitely stable and the pops I have had are exactly zero. It has been only 2 days since I received it but this cube just feels very controllable. You know what I mean? That "dry" feeling when you receive the cube is starting to go away and my Lubix lube is coming in the mail soon. This will be sure to be my main cube. Makarov I would suggest keeping your weilong as a backup though. Please tell me how I did on my first review and thanks for posting Makarov!

holyco

does anyone get corner twists on the aolong? mine does it once every 30 solves or so

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My out of box tensions were pretty loose. I just had a PB Ao100, but there were at least 3 or 4 corner twists. Other than that, it's fantastic. I'll likely tune it when I get home today and see if that helps with the corner twists.

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I pre-ordered this cube from TheCubicle and I just recieved it yesterday. Out of the box the tensions on mine were really loose. It feels dry and has a scratchy feeling similar to that of the ShuangRen but not as smooth. I'm going to be honest and say that out of the box I really don't like this cube. It feels really different from any other cube that I own and it is a bit uncontrollable. I'm hoping that I'll change my mind after lubing/tensioning it.

Does people ACTUALLY tension their cubes? I never even touched those tensioning screws. But someone ruined my tensions.

Wait, does that mean you never take your cubes apart? How do you lube them then? I'm pretty sure most people do tension their cubes because a) everyone has different preferences in terms of looseness and b) you have to take them apart anyway to lube them. Besides most cubes are unusable out of the box. Okay maybe not unusable but not ideal.

Last edited:

Makarov

My Aolong came with pretty good tensions out of the box, not too loose or too tight I haven't needed to mess with it yet.