• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Moyu Aolong 3x3x3 - Version 1

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Excellent

Votes: 64 67.4%
  • Above Average

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Average

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I bought this cube from thecubicle.us, and it arrived last Saturday

First impressions: I liked the sandy feeling, but the tensions were way too loose and it needed some lube. Flimsy feeling and uncontrollable. I thought that the cube looked really cool with the bigger Florian holes.

Now: Hands down amazing cube. Corner cuts over 45, smooth and a little buttery, but not quite as much as the WeiLong. Fast, as pop-resistent than the WeiLong. Zero lockups. No center cap pops, good sticker shades except for the red. I can't think of any downside this cube.

Thanks Marcel for making me buy this!

Arkwell

When I go back to a Weilong V1 or 2 I seem to run into troubles because these cubes require accurate turning. The AoLong can be used with very sloppy turning style (that I have). In other words, after getting used to the AoLong you will never go back to any other cube :)

Is it because the Weilongs are so slippery compared to Aolongs?(Pretty accurate turner but slow)

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it because the Weilongs are so slippery compared to Aolongs?(Pretty accurate turner but slow)
The WeiLong locks up less easily, and even though they both cut the same distance, the AoLong has better corner cutting because it is easier to do small cuts, especially reverse. This results in needing less precision with the AoLong.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When I go back to a Weilong V1 or 2 I seem to run into troubles because these cubes require accurate turning. The AoLong can be used with very sloppy turning style (that I have). In other words, after getting used to the AoLong you will never go back to any other cube :)

I noticed that too! I picked up my Zhanchi last night and it felt practically clunky by comparison. And my weilongs feel blocky to me now.

My mini AoLong is sitting in my mailbox at home right now. I can honestly say I haven't been this excited to try a new cube in a while :)

I've gotten used to deliveries from china taking as long as they take. Some times you get lucky but ship time to canada is pretty random.

RjFx2

I'm hoping to buy this cube soon on cubezz.com. I don't know if I should get black or white, and 54.5mm or 57mm. What do you recommend? I saw it has a 5 circle design which I'm sure I'll love. Corner twisting is fine with me, my surrent cube does that, too. I mostly care that this cube doesn't pop, which is the biggest problem with my main cube. (YJ Sulong)

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm hoping to buy this cube soon on cubezz.com. I don't know if I should get black or white, and 54.5mm or 57mm. What do you recommend? I saw it has a 5 circle design which I'm sure I'll love. Corner twisting is fine with me, my surrent cube does that, too. I mostly care that this cube doesn't pop, which is the biggest problem with my main cube. (YJ Sulong)
I would recommend getting the 57mm version unless you are going to use it for OH, or have really small hands. I think white cubes look cooler than black ones, but it is entirely up to you. If you have never had a white cube before, you should get one and see if you prefer it over black, you never know, you might like it better. I haven't had a corner twist yet, but i have it on pretty tight tensions. It also doesn't pop at all. Like i said in my review, i can't really see any con about buying is cube, except maybe it may be uncontrollable for some people.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just want to comment about lubing. I've noticed with both the Weilong and the AoLong, they are very sensitive to lube and get gummy VERY easily if you slightly overlube. So, I recommend just being a bit careful with how you lube the cube. I noticed my AoLong was a bit sluggish, even though I used barely any lube, so I wiped it out, and there's just the slightest amount of lube left that helps make it very smooth.

Cubeologist

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just want to comment about lubing. I've noticed with both the Weilong and the AoLong, they are very sensitive to lube and get gummy VERY easily if you slightly overlube. So, I recommend just being a bit careful with how you lube the cube. I noticed my AoLong was a bit sluggish, even though I used barely any lube, so I wiped it out, and there's just the slightest amount of lube left that helps make it very smooth.

Completely agree. I think I overlubed mine. It is a bit slower than I would like. I, however, am a bit lazy so I just drop a bit of Maru lube in from time to time to loosen it up haha.

Bindedsa

WCA
2014NURU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Reconstructions of the 6.29 Average of 5?

6.56 D2 L2 U2 R F2 L F2 L2 D2 U2 L' D B U' R2 F R2 D U2 L F
y' // Inspection
U' R' F D' R2 D' // Cross (6/6)
F U' F' U' R U R' // F2L-1 (7/13)
y2 R U2 R2 U R // F2L-2 (5/18)
U r' F R // F2L-3 (4/22)
d R' U2 R U R' U' R // F2L-4 (8/30)
R U R' U' R' F R F' // OLL (8/38)
x R2 D2 R U R' D2 R U' R // PLL (9/47)

(8.34) F2 D2 L' U2 B2 F2 L F2 L R' B L' R U' B D R F D' U'

y x' // Inspection
U' D' R' x' D2 R D // Cross (6/6)
R U R' U' L U L' // F2L-1 (7/13)
d y R U R' R U2 U2 R' U' R U' R' // F2L-2 (12/25)
U' F U' F' // F2L-3 (4/29)
U2 R' R U' R' U R // F2L-4 (7/36)
U R' F' R L' U' L U R' F R // OLL (11/47)
l' U R' D2 R U' R' D2 R2 B' // PLL (10/57)

6.18 F2 R2 D' R2 F2 R2 B2 D' L2 B2 D2 L' U R' U' R' D2 F D U2 R2

z' // Inspection
D' L U2 R D // Cross (5/5)
U' L' U' L // F2L-1 (4/9)
y U' R U R' d L U L' // F2L-2 (8/17)
E' R U' R' D' // F2L-3 (5/22)
U2 R U R' U R U' R' // F2L-4 (8/30)
U' r U2 R' U' R U' r' // OLL (8/38)
R' d' F R2 u R' U R U' R u' R2 U'// PLL (13/51)

6.08 B2 U2 B D2 U2 R2 F D2 F2 U2 F' L F' L' U R' D' L' D2 F' R2
y2 z' // Inspection
r U' x' D' R' D2 R // Cross (6/6)
y' r B r' // F2L-1 (3/9)
R' U' R U2 R' U' R // F2L-2 (7/16)
y' R U' R' U R' U' R // F2L-3 (7/23)
d R' U' R U2 R' U2 R // F2l-4 (8/31)
r U2 R' U' R U' r' // OLL (7/38)
R' U L' U2 R U' R' U2 R r // PLL (10/48)

(6.05) L2 B2 D' L2 U2 R2 U' B2 L2 U' B L B2 F' L' D2 L D' F2 R2 F

y z' // Inspection
r' D R' D r U' r' // Cross (7/7)
U y' r B2 r' U' r B r' // F2L-1 (8/15)
L' U' L // F2L-2 (3/18)
U' y U2 R U R' // F2l-3 (5/23)
y' R U2 R' U' R U R' // F2L-4 (7/30)
U' R U R' U R U2 R' // OLL (8/38)
U' R2 F2 R U2 R U2 R' F R U R' U' R' F R2 U' // PLL (17/55)

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
So my AoLong arrived and I'm not sure what to make of it. It reminds me of the ChiLong in that out of the box it feels amazing, with smooth effortless corner cutting, but then after a few solves and a bit more rough treatment it starts getting out of shape and locky. When I get time I will retension it.

Oh - and it has the usual problem of annoying spring noise! Cube manufacturers, please, stop putting your cheap crappy lube on the pieces and put it in the core instead! :)

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
So my AoLong arrived and I'm not sure what to make of it. It reminds me of the ChiLong in that out of the box it feels amazing, with smooth effortless corner cutting, but then after a few solves and a bit more rough treatment it starts getting out of shape and locky. When I get time I will retension it.

Oh - and it has the usual problem of annoying spring noise! Cube manufacturers, please, stop putting your cheap crappy lube on the pieces and put it in the core instead! :)

Sounds exactly like mine out of the box. Do 100 solves unlubed, then go lube it.

SolveThatCube

WCA
2014ADCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's my review:

It seems that when you you zoom in with my camera it follows the action making it a bit shaky :( sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoctorPepper

Non review related question: is it advisable to lube the aolong with pure silicon oil and how should i do it?