• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

sergei740

Dayan Zhanchi help?

I just got my zanchi today and I am pretty disappointed :(
It fell apart 30 seconds after I unboxed it. I spent the next hour learning how to put the cube back(I've never had to do this before). It fell apart again. Another fix later, I realized why. So all of the center pieces are normal except the yellow one. THe yellow center has a screw in it. It falls apart if it's too lose. The problem is every time I rotate the side, the screw rotates, and so it looses a bit every turn. I tried to screw it really tight, but now the entire yellow face is very hard to rotate and affects my time.

Do all zanchi cubes have this? Is it a manufacturing error? Why is this happening and how can I prevent it?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

sergei740

wouldn't putting lubricant just make it slide faster?
What lubricant are you referring to? I averaged sub 40 on my rubik cube, using wd 40 lubricant. I just got this one today- i haven't lubricated it yet.

ccownerful

its a thing you need to learn when you first get into speed cubing: how to lube and tension a cube :) i recommend watching any or all of these!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=razbTyNPmZw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4paID_54lQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlumT6dX6K0
getting a speed cube, means that you have to tension the cube equally to get the same feel on all sides (which seems to be your problem) and if you have a problem with the sounds of spring noises (like a ting ting ting when you turn a/multiple sides) you should lube the core, as shown in the videos. and wd-40 and vaseline are TERRIBLE FOR CUBES. I recommend buying a syringe and nozzle from http://thecubicle.us/ and buying team associated 50 weight oil (easily found on ebay) because it is cheaper and works just as well as any other lube that I use (be cautious the lube is thick so use too much and it will slow the cube down too much).

hope this helps!!

Wylie28

WCA
2014FORI01
Sounds to me like the the screw has stripped the core... try unscrewing the screw that gets loose completely and then put it back, new threads in the core should form and it will properly stay tensioned. Ive had this happen before to a few of my cubes. They don't really turn them to test them out when they assemble them so its hard to know if this has happened

WCA
2012BASK02
Just FYI, do NOT use WD-40... it will dissolve the plastic on your cube. Use silicone-based non-corrosive lubricant.

First of all, every side has a screw, spring, and washer. You should lubricate all of these lightly.
The screws adjust the tension. The tighter you turn the screw, the tighter the side is(AKA, harder to turn.) You should first completely tighten all the screws on the cube then slowly loosen each of them simultaneously while seeing how well it turns, until you get a tension where the cube isn't falling apart, but it's easy to turn. Then you just lubricate the surfaces.

Last edited:

sergei740

thanks guys for trying to help but I don't think you guys really get what is wrong. You're talkiking about lifting the cap and screwing it, but I don't even need to lift the cap because everytime I turn the face, it unscrews/screws tighter. So without opening the cube, I can turn the yellow face cw and it will tighten(become impossible to turn), or I can go ccw and it will loosen until it falls apart. I'm guessing that on non-broken cubes(aka anyone but me :() the screws adjust the tension, and when ou leave them at one point, they stay there. Unfortunately, all of my sides work like that but one, which twists with the screw. What can I do? do i need a new cube?
The way I'm cubing now is after every solve I set the yellow face slightly loose, and thorughout the solve it tightens/loosens considerably, but hopefully not enough to stop my solve. after each solce, I have to spin it to re tighten it. This is stupid. Any help guys?

WCA
2012BASK02
lubricate the screws. Then they will not be pulled along by the turning of the side, and they will stay in place. If this continues to happen after lubricating the undersides of the screw heads and the sides of the washers, then get a refund/replacement.

mkarthick

Have you considered removing the yellow center screw and putting it back in again? It might fix something. Its possible that the screw is caught on the plastic in the center piece, because it wasn't assembled properly.

Its possible that the screw is caught on something in the centerpiece. You really should try removing just the yellow screw and put it back in again. It might fix your issue. Forget lubing it for now. See what's wrong with your hello face, first. Lubing it is more for maintenance and for comfort, not much else.

Last edited by a moderator:

sergei740

thanks guys for all your help! I ended up asking my dad though, and mujch to my relief he fixed it. Although I he couldn't have done it withouat what I told him you guys said. He took off the cap from the yellow center piece, and found the screw there was too big or something... I wasn't really looking. I atook a metal file and shortened the nail. Somehow, after replacing it, it worked! Finally I have an amazing speedcube!
But one more thing- I was planning to buy a "professional" lubricant as opposed to my wd 40. http://thecubicle.us/10cc-cubicle-silicone-lube-weight-p-2835.html
I was looking at a weight 3. I am planning to just buy it and use it both on the core and pieces. OR should I buy another, or possibly two weights? I have the money, I'm just not sure which works best.
Help guys?

Wylie28

WCA
2014FORI01
The best is to use wieght 5 for everything that is in the center piece (including the center piece itself) and use weight 1 or 2 if you want to put some on the corners and edges.

WinterCub3r

thanks guys for all your help! I ended up asking my dad though, and mujch to my relief he fixed it. Although I he couldn't have done it withouat what I told him you guys said. He took off the cap from the yellow center piece, and found the screw there was too big or something... I wasn't really looking. I atook a metal file and shortened the nail. Somehow, after replacing it, it worked! Finally I have an amazing speedcube!
But one more thing- I was planning to buy a "professional" lubricant as opposed to my wd 40. http://thecubicle.us/10cc-cubicle-silicone-lube-weight-p-2835.html
I was looking at a weight 3. I am planning to just buy it and use it both on the core and pieces. OR should I buy another, or possibly two weights? I have the money, I'm just not sure which works best.
Help guys?

buy the blue lubical. use it for everything, it works perfectly. dont buy weight five that stuff is like glue. and dont worry about using two diferent kinds of lube, theres really no point.

stunseed

dayan zhanchi help

so i have a dayan zhanchi everyone says this cube is really really good and is one of the best cubes money can buy. i couldnt make up my mine and i was looking at the "best" cubes ended up getting a shanchi a weilong and a shuang ren V2 which is amazing better than youd think but idk something is telling me its weird i think its the sitickers or the plastic enough on that though. this zhanchi is my problem ive lubed it and wiped it out 3-4 times tensioned it loosened and redone it my cube does cut corners 45 reverse about half a cubie the plastic feels strong and really touigh.. thing is its really clunky scratchy its not smooth at all i get lock up all day and any chance it gets while solving it wont cut corner but instead it pops this cube has what 2? 3? torpedos and still pops i could still tighten it but then i think id lose performance, if i loosen it at this point i feel it will just fall apart its gets REALLY smooth when i loosen it like quarter of a turn but then it doesnt feel stable AT ALL. am i doing something wrong? either i feel this cube is complete garbage and i am right and everyone is just saying this cube is good because everyone else says it is. or this cube really is something good amnd im not setting it up right at all.. almost would say a modded rubiks style cube would give me better results its making me angry at the moment because im not sure what im doing wrong or i spent 15 bucks on a suckish cube. ive followed tutorials on the zhanchi specifically on lubing and tensioning and its still not working right. i see poeple get amazing speed and times from this when i use it i get lock ups pops and its feel worse than most cubes i have. right now my main is my weilong and i am in love with it. ive had these cubes for a couple months now solved them over and over again this zhanchi though just keeps giving me problems

Last edited:

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel
zhanchi is a lot harder to set up than cubes like the weilong. all you can really do it lube it and tension it and it should be okay, shouldn't have all those locks you're talking about. if you're want, you can take out the washers in the centers which kind of loosens the cube up without sacrificing stability, but that may damage the center stalks.

stunseed

zhanchi is a lot harder to set up than cubes like the weilong. all you can really do it lube it and tension it and it should be okay, shouldn't have all those locks you're talking about. if you're want, you can take out the washers in the centers which kind of loosens the cube up without sacrificing stability, but that may damage the center stalks.

that works? such a small washer will get it just enough loosen to make it noticable? i guess figuring screw threads are about that biug but that would mean i would tighten it a little more as well maybe fix my pops atleast MAYBE would make sense. but it keeps clicking well not sound clicking more like when i solve itits like i have to be spot on perfect with my turning or its going to die. the cube like i said the cube can cut corners when just doing it but in a solve it explodes. should i tighten it? ill try this and see what i get.

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel
that works? such a small washer will get it just enough loosen to make it noticable? i guess figuring screw threads are about that biug but that would mean i would tighten it a little more as well maybe fix my pops atleast MAYBE would make sense. but it keeps clicking well not sound clicking more like when i solve itits like i have to be spot on perfect with my turning or its going to die. the cube like i said the cube can cut corners when just doing it but in a solve it explodes. should i tighten it? ill try this and see what i get.

tighten, lube the core, and if you have, use a fast lube for the pieces.

CubeWizard23

WCA
2015GAMB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
My Zhanchi XD (5?) Keeps Exploding!!

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem? it locks up and blows 2-4 pieces out! its lubed with weight 3 and is reasonably tensioned but it binds and blows every time im about to be sub 20!!