• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] F2L Intuitive vs. Algorithm Solving

How did you learn your F2L? Intuitively or with Algs?

• Intuitively

Votes: 388 88.2%
  • Algorithmic

Votes: 52 11.8%

• Total voters

Humble Cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
This a poll just to see on average how many cubers use intuitive F2L or use Alg based F2l. Personally I have done both at one point, and what I prefer to do is algs on some harder cases and intuitive on other cases that can be performed quickly, what do you guys use?

U3cubing

WCA
2022HAUG01
So I am mentoring my cousin and he is currently trying to learn f2l. He really thrives on algs but suffers on the intuitive side of things. Should I try to keep teaching him intuitive f2l or give him an alg sheet? (He learned some full Oll cases without me even knowing) thanks!

xyzzy

I have an alg sheet already. I’m just wondering which method would be better for him in the long run.
"Intuitive" versus "algorithmic" is more a matter of how you learn the step, rather than how you do it. Once you've learnt F2L, the process by which it was learnt no longer matters.

That said, there's one major drawback to learning F2L algorithmically right from the start: it's a lot of cases if you include solutions for every slot. It simply doesn't make sense to learn all of it at once. If, say, your cousin starts off learning all the FR-slot solutions and deferring the other-slot solutions for later, he might end up always rotating to have the active F2L slot in FR, which is a super bad habit to form. Another (less serious) issue is that learning the cases individually obscures the relationship between F2L cases, and without an intuitive understanding of the triggers, it can also be harder to proceed to more advanced F2L techniques, e.g. F2L algs that don't preserve other slots.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
My understanding of F2L is that it's 90% intuitive very similar patterns, but 10% is special cases that it's just worth remembering algs or special techniques (ex. sledge to flip tricky corner) for.