• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Doubts on Maru Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieguito

Hello everyone!
So I've had my Ghost Hand II 3x3 for about six months now.
I'm much of a beginner, in fact, this was the first cube I ever bought.
After six months of working amazingly well, my cube started to slow down A LOT.
It can't cut corners AT ALL and it often locks.
I assume that's because I've never lubricated it nor adjusted the tentions.
Here in Argentina, it's rather difficult to find a good lubricant for the Rubik's cube. I have an oil based lubricant but I didn't use it on my cube because I've heard that it dissolves de plastic. We don't have CRC or Jig-A-Loo.
I'm going to buy a few puzzles from CubeDepot soon and I wanted to clear out some doubts:
I am thinking of buying a little bottle of Maru Lube and I heard it was not that good because it didn't last, like it would make the cube MUCH faster for like 5 or 7 solves and then wear off.
That's of course something I dont want.
So what do you guys say, should I buy the Maru Lube?
I'm really sorry if this thread turned out to be quite long, I just couldn't shrink it down any further.
Regards!

dieguito

I'm not :(
Considering it's 5 dollars shipping and 4 dollars the actual product, then no.
That'd be 9 dollars over and over again.
What do you recommend me to do?
Thanks!

D39

Well, you can buy the Maru Lube, but personally; I would recommend http://lightake.com/detail.do/sku._Professional_Magic_Cube_Lubricant_(420ml)-24271 Sure it's expensive, but keep in mind that there is 420 mL of it inside the can and it is an aerosol. I have bought D39 a couple years ago from Lightake and I still have a lot of it; it lasts long and I only re-lube my cubes every 6 months or so. I only have like 3 cubes that I use D39 with. The rest of my cubes, I use Differential Oil (silicone 50,000 WT). It's basically a Chinese version of CRC Heavy Duty silicone (The special green can that leaves a liquid layer)

wontolla

WCA
2011GRAJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you are going to lube just one cube a bottle of Maru lube could last for months. You just need one or two drops every 2 or 3 days.

You can use differential oil or Lubix instead as they are silicon based and last much longer.

On the other hand, if you have been using a cube for six months and it is not performing anymore I recomend you to disasamble and clean it.

dieguito

Thanks everybody for your answers. I'm going to consider buying the spray can but that'll have to wait. I really appreciate your attention.
Best regards!

Akash Rupela

WCA
2012RUPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Satellitedanny and jyh, I m certainly looking for something like these products, a good amount of quantity for a decent price as you mentioned, but have you guys personally used? I want to know will it make my lubix guhong(whose lubix seems blown up by now) super awesome? I will order 1 of these (which u suggest) as soon as i have the money

daniel0731ex

GOD, why does people always get the wrong impression about Maru lube because they don't use it properly?

Maru lube lasts relatively short, yes, but not as short as most have reported. The reason why people think it drys out ridiculously fast is because they uses the cube non-stop right after lubing (I don't blame them, because the cube feels really nice immediately after lubing). But you're supposed to wait for it to DRY, and the lubricant leaves a layer of silicone residue on the surface that lubricates the cube.
Now, if you continue using the cube without waiting for the lube to dry, the lubricant mixes with the worn-off plastic dusts and creates an undesirable residue that causes a lot of friction when the lubricant drys fully, forcing you to re-lubricate the cube. This is why people thinks Maru lube drys out quickly, because the way they use it renders the lubrication useless when the lube drys completely, which is not how it should've been used.

Oh and btw, don't get Lubix, it's a ripoff. It's the same thing you could get at hardware stores with 100x cheaper prices.

Last edited:

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Daniel and Wontolla are right. A couple of drops every few days and its fine. Will last months. I bounce between this and Lubix, I find them much easier to use than D-39 (that can is huge).

Nestor

Premium Member
WCA
2013SANC10
A great lubricant is Differential Oil at 50,000wt. It's the same stuff as Lubix, except Lubix is a rip-off.

Here's some more information with past experiences, questions and answers, and even pictures I uploaded, before the mods decided to close it.
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?27563-Viscosity-of-Lubix-Found!-Cheaper-Alternative!

+1 It will last you forever too.

I've lubed over 50 puzzles with this, plus my speed cubes several times each and I still have over 90% of lube left.

dieguito

you guys cleared out many many doubts I had.
Thank you SO much.
I think I'm going to go to my local hardware store and check to see of there's any lubricant based on silicone, I think that should do.
I'm I right?

daniel0731ex

A great lubricant is Differential Oil at 50,000wt. It's the same stuff as Lubix, except Lubix is a rip-off.

Here's some more information with past experiences, questions and answers, and even pictures I uploaded, before the mods decided to close it.
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?27563-Viscosity-of-Lubix-Found!-Cheaper-Alternative!

You know, I'm still skeptical about those differential/shock-absorber oil being the same thing.....I KNOW that Lubix is a particular specification of Dimethyl Silicone fluids, but I'm not sure if the diff/shock oils are that too.

Last edited:
You know, I'm still doubting those differential/shock-absorber oil being the same thing.....I KNOW that Lubix is a particular specification of Dimethyl Silicone fluids, but I'm not sure if the diff/shock oils are that.

Ok.
Now, I never said they are the exact same thing. But of everyone that has ever tried it, they say they pretty much can't tell the difference. I have both Lubix and 50,000wt Diff Oil, and to me, I can't feel a single difference. Once my Lubix runs out, there's no reason for me to ever buy it again, especially with how overpriced it is.

All you can do, is try it out for yourself, and compare the two, to see what you think.
To me, and many others, they feel the same. And for so much more content, for such less money, I don't see the harm in trying.

By the way, just wondering. Have you also personally compared Lubix and 50,000wt Diff Oil?

daniel0731ex

Ok.
Now, I never said they are the exact same thing. But of everyone that has ever tried it, they say they pretty much can't tell the difference. I have both Lubix and 50,000wt Diff Oil, and to me, I can't feel a single difference. Once my Lubix runs out, there's no reason for me to ever buy it again, especially with how overpriced it is.

All you can do, is try it out for yourself, and compare the two, to see what you think.
To me, and many others, they feel the same. And for so much more content, for such less money, I don't see the harm in trying.

By the way, just wondering. Have you also personally compared Lubix and 50,000wt Diff Oil?

Hey, relax. I'm just saying that I personally can't decide whether it's the same or not; no need to go all defensive all the sudden.

And you should learn to read other posts before blurting out next time.

Hey, relax. I'm just saying that I personally can't decide whether it's the same or not; no need to go all defensive all the sudden.

And you should learn to read other posts before blurting out next time.
No need to get defensive, kid.

You might've read my post as defense, but that's your own fault. I was calm, and wasn't attacking or anything. Just explaining my side of the story. Don't understand how some of you can read things, and get such a different vibe from what it was actually meant to be. It's like you choose to read everything as an attack of defense.

Follow your own advice, and read.

Status
Not open for further replies.