• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] [begginer cuber] sub50 solve, roux method

MostEd

WCA
2012BETA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm a begginer cuber(end of may) I learned roux, currently do 2L CMLL, and I have the cube nearly the whole day in my hands, so I do practise.

There might be sound problems, since youtube decided to delete the Eruption track I put on it ;(, so you'll either hear some jazz or nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes! Finally someone who chooses roux!
Keep going with roux; don't listen to those who say CFOP is better. Here are a few general tips:

-BLOCKS! Work on your blocks! Lol I've gone with this motto in the beginning which is why my cmll is like 3-4 secs; a quarter of my solve...
-MOO WILL COME WITH TIME! Yup, don't worry about being a slow mooer, you will develop your own fingertricks.
-SLOW TURNING AND LOOKING AHEAD! Always anticipate what to do before doing it. And anticipate during previous step.
-PICK TO BE COLOUR NEUTRAL OR NOT BEFORE GOING ON YOUR JOURNEY! So that you don't get awkward situations where you average sub-20 and use only white/yellow on top/bottom and really want to switch (sounds familiar)

There are alot more little shortcuts and things but I'll leave that to waffo/kirjava who is probably just about to post in this thread :D
If you need any help I'll be happy to do so (and steal waffo's job ;) )

Last edited:
G

Georgeanderre

Keep going with roux; don't listen to those who say CFOP is better. Here are a few general tips:

-BLOCKS! Work on your blocks! Lol I've gone with this motto in the beginning which is why my cmll is like 3-4 secs a quarter of my solve...
-MOO WILL COME WITH TIME! Yup, don't worry about being a slow mooer, you will develop your own fingertricks.
-SLOW TURNING AND LOOKING AHEAD! Always anticipate what to do before doing it. And anticipate during previous step.

hes been practing mooing for 4 days on irc ",roux" is his catchphrase =)

im still crap at lookahead but i can still sub 25 when im in a rouxing mood

Last edited by a moderator:

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can sub-15 roux?
Youve caught up with me already???

Btw, yeah mooing will come with time. If you find it fun like me just do massive averages of just MU scrambles.

AndreasFrom

The only method my lookahead doesn't suck with is ZZ. I'm so considering switching.

On topic: Nice solve. Did you start with a blockbuilding method? I think not enough people do.

G

Georgeanderre

You can sub-15 roux?
Youve caught up with me already???

Btw, yeah mooing will come with time. If you find it fun like me just do massive averages of just MU scrambles.

oh f**k... epic typo, sub 25

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@George
Lol phew what a relief ;)

@Andreas
I think more should start blockbuilding. However, there is a drawback to having loads using the same method imo. I kinda like being the minority as it also allows me to help people without getting automatically flamed if that even makes sense. Okay it doesn't...

Btw you're switching to roux!? Great!

G

Georgeanderre

@George
Lol phew what a relief ;)

@Andreas
I think more should start blockbuilding. However, there is a drawback to having loads using the same method imo. I kinda like being the minority as it also allows me to help people without getting automatically flamed if that even makes sense. Okay it doesn't...

Btw you're switching to roux!? Great!

I blockbuild for L2LK =)
but i still suck at recognition

MostEd

WCA
2012BETA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
lul roux.

good job OP

:p Thanks. Master ;)

-BLOCKS! Work on your blocks! Lol I've gone with this motto in the beginning which is why my cmll is like 3-4 secs; a quarter of my solve...
-PICK TO BE COLOUR NEUTRAL OR NOT BEFORE GOING ON YOUR JOURNEY! So that you don't get awkward situations where you average sub-20 and use only white/yellow on top/bottom and really want to switch (sounds familiar)

There are alot more little shortcuts and things but I'll leave that to waffo/kirjava who is probably just about to post in this thread :D
If you need any help I'll be happy to do so (and steal waffo's job ;) )

Ah it took me time to get used to moo, and now I know how you call it, "Moo" lol!

Actually Look ahead, and move planning, when I don't do timed solves, I find ways to use less moves, but then timed I don't do them... ;( But I;ll get used to this.

The only method my lookahead doesn't suck with is ZZ. I'm so considering switching.

On topic: Nice solve. Did you start with a blockbuilding method? I think not enough people do.

Thanks, and nope, I've learned the cube(originally) LBL, then I went into CFOP, but the vast amount of algs to mem, kills me, do I looked into other methods, and found roux, Waffo's site, Gille's site, Waffo's vids. I didn't get L6E at first, but did get that several days ago.

Last edited:

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can't believe that when I learnt roux I didn't notice waffles site at all and used only Gilles' site...
Waffos site is so... Clear... And simple... And... Easy to follow...

G

Georgeanderre

I can't believe that when I learnt roux I didn't notice waffles site at all and used only Gilles' site...
Waffos site is so... Clear... And simple... And... Easy to follow...

Gilles site is better imo, less "waffle" if you will pardon the pun...
gilles just gets straight in to it, no messing around

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree... Gilles' site does get you rouxing quickly. Although it does take some thought to get started... Which imo is better. I know I just contradicted myself... but yeah I wouldn't have spent those confused hours trying to find out how to do the first block and stuff...

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Absolutely. Too many people are giving up too easily and taking the easy way out.
I guess the awesomeness of roux is not discovered until you get to the stage where you can actually solve it without any trouble if you know what i mean.

G

Georgeanderre

Definitly, i still fail on the second block, but i dont need to be good at second block because neither L2LK or L2L4 use it
And i dont know any cmll =P ... well i know the 2gen ones

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Meh, my first block sucks, my second is almost faster.
And I am pathetic at CMLL.

Why don't you just carry on with roux? Or instead of ditching it completely use it alongside l2l4?

G

Georgeanderre

Meh, my first block sucks, my second is almost faster.
And I am pathetic at CMLL.

Why don't you just carry on with roux? Or instead of ditching it completely use it alongside l2l4?

I use roux first block, then expand for l2LK

I rarely use full roux, and have no intention of using it as a main method after the next few weeks... but i will use it for fun solves when i cba to do sooper ossum L2LK