• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

GAN 356 X

I just find patterns and repetition in algorithms and learn by doing. Parity algorithms can be long and complex but there are patterns there to learn so I just grind out a few hundred and it usually sticks. Knowing when to use a particular algorithm, that's another thing entirely...

I may not be the best person to ask though as I'm a long-term member of the 30-60 club...
7x7 parity looks extremely confusing....

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you have a good technique for learning algorithms?
Personally I have a terrible memory and favor intuitive or muscle memory.
But I see there's no avoiding having to memorize a lot of algos!
Break each alg down into segments, and drill those. Put it all together, and tou get the alg. Set a reminder 10 minutes later, then when it goes off, do the alg. Keep doing this until you've got it down, then just repeatedly spam it.

Nilsibert

WCA
2014FREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My biggest problem is and has always been recall. The algs themselves are not the problem, but connecting them to the correct case takes me a long time to get decent at.
I‘ve learned 2gll for T/U/L and even with lots of drilling using trainers, I still sometimes either do the wrong alg or just freeze trying to recall what alg it is. The problem might be that alot of those algs are so similar, as well as the recognition for T and U being basically the same. Someone wrote you should practice recognizing a case and recalling the alg, but how do you do that? Setting up a trainer so it only gives scrambles for that specific case, or maybe also it‘s mirror, and just getting used to seeing that case and doing its alg?
It‘s really frustrating as I want to finish 2gll and long term expand to zbll, but I really struggle to motivate myself to move on to H and Pi 2gll when T/U/L are still not at the level of say, OLL/PLL. I hear about people learning zbll in a few months, while I struggle already with just 2gll. Sure I‘m not a teen anymore and have that much time for cubing, but still..

GAN 356 X

My biggest problem is and has always been recall. The algs themselves are not the problem, but connecting them to the correct case takes me a long time to get decent at.
I‘ve learned 2gll for T/U/L and even with lots of drilling using trainers, I still sometimes either do the wrong alg or just freeze trying to recall what alg it is. The problem might be that alot of those algs are so similar, as well as the recognition for T and U being basically the same. Someone wrote you should practice recognizing a case and recalling the alg, but how do you do that? Setting up a trainer so it only gives scrambles for that specific case, or maybe also it‘s mirror, and just getting used to seeing that case and doing its alg?
It‘s really frustrating as I want to finish 2gll and long term expand to zbll, but I really struggle to motivate myself to move on to H and Pi 2gll when T/U/L are still not at the level of say, OLL/PLL. I hear about people learning zbll in a few months, while I struggle already with just 2gll. Sure I‘m not a teen anymore and have that much time for cubing, but still..
Same here. especially with OLL

C

Cubinwitdapizza

I use Rw U2 x Rw U2 Rw U2 Rw’ U2 Lw U2 Rw‘ U2 Rw U2 Rw’ U2 Rw’. To memo it, all moves are just a wide move followed by a U2, so you only need to remember Rw x Rw Rw Rw' Lw Rw' Rw Rw' Rw'.
[/QUOTE]
Wasn’t I the one to reccomend that alg to you? Lol jk idc.

Chinmay47

Can someone help me in scheduling all the OLL cases properly so that I can learn them?:confused: :?:confused: :?

Can someone help me in scheduling all the OLL cases properly so that I can learn them?:confused: :?:confused: :?
firstly don't post another thread for every single question you ask, there are plenty of one answer question threads here in the forum. :)
I think you should start learning the dot OLLs first and here are the OLL documents: https://www.cubeskills.com/tutorials/oll-algorithms, why you should learn them first, is simple, hard one first then easy going with the rest of the OLLs, you should learn at least one OLL alg a day and use an OLL trainer so that you know you remember the alg.

Chinmay47

I haven't kept it aside cause its difficult. In fact, I already know 34 OLL cases and need help memorising the rest! Also, the pdf that you referred to aboce is by Feliks Zemdegs' website Cubeskills.com and this is the pdf I am currently using to learn the OLL.

I haven't kept it aside cause its difficult. In fact, I already know 34 OLL cases and need help memorising the rest! Also, the pdf that you referred to aboce is by Feliks Zemdegs' website Cubeskills.com and this is the pdf I am currently using to learn the OLL.
what's wrong with Cubeskills's website, they have the fastest and standard algorithm.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I tend to sub-vocalize while performing OLL and PLL algorithms. This happens not just with algorithms i am learning but with ones i learned years ago and constantly perform in solves. I do not mutter the exact moves of turns but the RUFD turns at sub-vocalized constantly. Sometimes i just think of sounds that are in the patters of turns (I've subconsciously associated the sound of me performing an alg at a certain rate into an audible "Flow chart" or "path" to follow during execution. I think this is really holding me back and i wonder how you guys avoided this trap or stopped doing it? I believe doing this is keeping my alg execution in my conscious memory and not transferring it to muscle memory.

Example 1) with F2L completed and a bar across the edges of the top layer i'll mutter in my head "Front, Right, Up, Right, Up, Front" to get the cross. Example 2) To execute the Sune i'll think to myself "right, up, right, up, right, DaDaDa" (DaDaDa being inaudible in my mind but representing U2 R'.

Thoughts? Tips? Comments?