• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A Roux guide for beginners

vince

Hi,
I learned CFOP but since the first days I've been interested in Block Building Methods.
Recently I decided to learn Roux too and in order to memorise the steps of the method I collected images and simple algs in a document.
I want to share this pdf hoping someone else (a beginner like me) can switch to this method quickly and see its potential.
Let me know for errors or how to improve the document.
the doc is here

thanks to waffo and the donovan's video tutorials

Last edited:

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
Very nice doc, thanks. I'm a newbie to CFOP as well, and I've been dabbling in/mess Roux. I've tried a few Roux solves, it seems very easy, but I struggle with planning my blocks. I'm too used to planning cross + first pair with CFOP!

Out of interest, how do your Roux averages compare to your CFOP averages?

Clarkeeyyy

WCA
2013CLAR04
YouTube
Visit Channel
On a slightly more serious note, this is really helpful. Thanks a ton :D. The only thing I would say is step 4b seems to be made much more confusing than it should be. I think you should remove the algs for that step and describe it like Waffo: Put UL and UR edges in opposite positions of the cube (for example UF and DB), do M' U2 M' and then insert.

Snoutmol

What's the point of Roux if you're already good with Fridrich? Seems like Fridrich is better, anyway. I tried this tutorial, but it seemed like most of the moves were way to tedious and intuitive.

WCA
2012CHIE01
What's the point of Roux if you're already good with Fridrich?
Techniques from block building can improve your f2l and/or cross in CFOP, and it's fun!

Seems like Fridrich is better, anyway.
Mmmm... Depends on the person but "methods don't have speeds" and all that. You should give it a fair chance.

it seemed like most of the moves were way to tedious and intuitive.
Intuitive may not be bad. It may seem difficult in the beginning but gets easier as you practice more. One reason people like this method because of its lower movecount, which can only be achieved if you block build intuitively well.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi,
I learned CFOP but since the first days I've been interested in Block Building Methods.
Recently I decided to learn Roux too and in order to memorise the steps of the method I collected images and simple algs in a document.
I want to share this pdf hoping someone else (a beginner like me) can switch to this method quickly and see its potential.
Let me know for errors or how to improve the document.
the doc is here

thanks to waffo and the donovan's video tutorials

Wow, very nice tutorial!! I will bookmark the link.

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
at sub-15 with CFOP, i started roux for a little over 2 months and managed to get to a sub-18 session with a PB single of 11.04. (CFOP PB at the time was 9.09)
"methods don't have speeds" i think is very accurate. if you can be sub-x with CFOP, you can be sub-x with Roux, since there seems to be a consensus that both are among the best of methods.

and this was only 2 months. my very first Roux solve was the day those 2 months began, and my first solve was 3:24, with a PB of 1:00 by the end of the day. that was a tiring day.

i'm still not 100% comfortable with roux like i am with CFOP, but after about 1.5 months i was able to get to a solid sub-20 level, and i have gained great respect for the method ever since. i love it. i love H perms and Z perms simply because it feels like Roux.

i have also discovered new inserts and new ways to look at the relationship between pieces in CFOP. also new finger tricks like quicker slice turns, and a better overall understanding and recognition habit of EO and LLCP.

/endrant

DNFphobia

Great guide!
This might help me get back into Roux, but could you add some examples for blockbuilding and/or make add an example solve?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Snoutmol

Intuitive may not be bad. It may seem difficult in the beginning but gets easier as you practice more. One reason people like this method because of its lower movecount, which can only be achieved if you block build intuitively well.

Lower move count? I must have been doing it wrong, I guess. It took my like 50 moves and tons of mistakes to get the first block.

jayefbe

WCA
2013BAHR02
The first two layers using F2L is generally ~35 moves in a speedsolve. So even if you applied the same F2L techniques for making the first block, which is very inefficient, it should still require only a fraction of that number.