• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New-to-Roux: A Beginner's Guide

Thread starter #1
Here is my latest one-page, info-sheet. This one is to help beginners as a start to Roux.
my goals, as usual, are:
a small number of algorithms
a decently low move count

This one is called... "New-to-Roux" (NtR)
it suggests about 16 algorithms and can be done in as few as 60 moves!

http://www.solvexio.cf/app/#/New-to-Roux

There are 3 major steps:

1. Block Building, starting in a sort of Salvia way, but users can have leeway in this intuitive first step.
The two 1x2x3 blocks are set up with purposely out-of-place slot-pairs and can be completed in a decent 28 moves.

2. LL corners, using algs in only 6 basic structures to orient then permute them in about 16 moves.
This can be useful for someone before learning full, 42-alg, CMLL.

3. Last 6 Edges - about 18 moves
For orientation, I broke the 9 patterns down into cases that use just 5 basic "alg" sequences.
Then 2-step permutation using around 10 moves.

The longest algs (for corners) will already be familiar to someone coming from a CFOP background.
These other Roux-specfic concepts are not new, just laid out for folks that are New to Roux!

I'm excited to show how a beginner method with learnable intuition and a low number of algs can still achieve 60-move solves!

let me know your thoughts, as thinking about it from a beginners point of view.

thanks,
-= Solvador Cubi

I think this is an excellent idea. Im currently trying to learn roux but havent been able to find a good tutorial. Hopefully you'll change that.

Thread starter #3
thanks "untrue". I realize it's difficult to understand all the details of something that's explained on just one page.
I would love to have the time to make videos walking through this (and others I've done), but for now all I've got are these pages that I think of as reference sheets to remind someone of the specifics.

-= Solvador Cubi

Thread starter #6
I realized that a standard Roux solve finishes with CE (Corners then Edges)
So I wondered how it would be to change it to an OP ending (Orientation then Permutation)

Here's the link to a one-page sheet with those changes: http://www.solvexio.cf/app/#/New-to-Roux
Now named: New-to-Roux Orientation / Permutation (NtR-OP)

This beginner version uses "2-Look" solutions for the last steps, so for this NtR-OP version:
Corners are oriented
L6E are oriented
Corners (and UL/UR edges) are permuted
L4E are permuted

An unexpected side-effect... I seem to get many more L4E skips than I did using Ntr-CE, but I don't know why.

Anyway, i'm just throwing it out there for everyone in case something in there can help someone.

-= Solvador Cubi

Want to hide this ad and support the community?