• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

DANrulz81

macky's website has everything. Seriously. Here is cross.

YouTube Videos

badmephisto
Rubik's Cube: Cross (Advanced) by
[youtubehd]hY_FbpdNRCQ[/youtubehd]

Rubik's Cube Cross on bottom: tips and fingertricks
[youtubehd]BTydBg21aaw[/youtubehd]

Beginners: Standardize your cross (and other stuff too)
[youtubehd]EOEZlFAsSL0[/youtubehd]
fazrulz1
How to get faster on the 3x3 Rubiks cube
Part 3.1, Cross - Overview and general information
[youtubehd]tT2dWfloSag[/youtubehd]

Part 3.2 - Cross tips and techniques
[youtubehd]TKs78QR-8Iw[/youtubehd]

Part 3.3 - X cross, and cross examples
[youtubehd]n3l32fHfKmM[/youtubehd]
camcuber
How to Solve the Cross: Advanced
[youtubehd]PWpKuMgnfQw[/youtubehd]
cyoubx
How to Solve a Rubik's Cube Part 1 (Intermediate Method) Cross
[youtubehd]IE67zAE2XCk[/youtubehd]

Cross Walkthrough Solves
[youtubehd]HPWalby6Bk4[/youtubehd]
crazybadcuber
Advanced Cross Tutorial
[youtubehd]YcacSzrpMg8[/youtubehd]
monkeydude1313
How to Learn and Practice The Fridrich Method: Part 1: Cross
[youtubehd]_EYPXTetHX4[/youtubehd]

How to Solve the 3x3 Rubik's Cube: Step 1: Bottom Cross
[youtubehd]U8Vmkvv_wCI[/youtubehd]
HowtoCube
How to solve the Rubik's Cube - 1 of 3 A Simple Way
[youtubehd]t7DuDoStmZM[/youtubehd]
RobH0629
How to Solve a Rubik's Cube - Part 1 - White Cross
[youtubehd]_yU-EwlRRvc[/youtubehd]

How to Solve a Rubik's Cube - First Layer Clarification
[youtubehd]Zg5lKh_03DI[/youtubehd]
TheAnonymousWisdom
Rubik's Cube: Advanced Cross Techniques
[youtubehd]_NciDixrkyE[/youtubehd]

Original post:
Can u help me with the Cross?

I got time between 12 & 20 seconds. My Problem is, that I don't "see" the solution for it in the 15s insp.time. Can u give some helpfull tips instead of practice? Thats what I already know.

Btw can u give some tips to do do looking forward better?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

darkzelkova

try taking off all the stickers except the cross, then practice. the only thing you can really do is practice. or try watching other peoples videos when they do it.

dRaGoN

Take however long the time you need to "see" the solution without actually moving it. Just make the inspection long enough so that you can see a solution 7 moves or less, and keep practicing until you can get that time down to the 15 seconds allowed. It's basically practice and seeing how certain pieces move when you turn different sides.

Lotsofsloths

WCA
2007SAHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Its really simple, just find out which pieces are easy, and keep your finger on the hard ones, but know where they have to go, so right after you finish the easy ones(edges) go straight to put the hard ones(the one you have your finger on) with no delay, keep doing this till you don't need to put your finger on the hard edges.

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
Take however long the time you need to "see" the solution without actually moving it. Just make the inspection long enough so that you can see a solution 7 moves or less, and keep practicing until you can get that time down to the 15 seconds allowed. It's basically practice and seeing how certain pieces move when you turn different sides.

good advice. Don't get too caught up with the 15second business. If you find 4 too hard, try to see only 3 edges at first.

linkmaster03

Getting faster at the cross?

I am trying to get faster at the cross and reduce my amount of moves. I am currently doing the cross slowly to keep it 8 moves or less, then I will try doing it blindfolded. Would this be the best practice?

Inusagi

I am trying to get faster at the cross and reduce my amount of moves. I am currently doing the cross slowly to keep it 8 moves or less, then I will try doing it blindfolded. Would this be the best practice?

I don't know if it's the best way of practise, but the way I did it, was to read Dan Harris page first, then looking at the cross while doing it, and not look ahead at all. Then after some months I tried it blindfolded, and it wasn't a challenge at all. (the reason why I waited some months, was because I didn't know I got to do it blindfolded to get faster times).

If you wanna know if you get this advice from a noob or not, you should know I average around 16 sec, and you should judge for yourself.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I personally never bothered training my cross like that. I tend to just find the pieces, get a general idea, then watch what I'm doing while I do the cross. I still average sub19 like that.

genwin

i think on dan harris site he mentioned that given any scramble , the cross can be solved at 8 moves max.. So my suggestion (as a beginner) is to add a scramble, and the number of moves it will take to solve the cross (not the solution though)... thats for us to figure out....

i think it will help a beginner a lot in terms of time and in terms of the intuitive part of solving the cube.....

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
I took my cross from 12-15 seconds to around 7s in a week when I made a practice cube with stickers only only on the centers and 4 edges to form a cross. It made it a bit less distracting plus it forced me to practice only the cross and not get bored and keep solving the whole cube. I still have a long way to go, but it got me over the hump and my cross improved by leaps and bounds. I'm working on Dan and Macky's advice of being able to do the cross without looking at it, but that's a work in process.

BarCode

Solving the Cross

I've been cubing for the last few months and can average of about 50 seconds per set of 12. My major concern is my cross solving, as I believe it's what slows me down a great deal. I've noticed that my crosses take anywhere between 10-12 moves, a lot of them just doing 1 piece at a time and moving around it.

I want to know if there are any specific strategies as to how to solve the cross a lot faster, it currently takes me about 10 seconds to do it.

hawkmp4

I've heard this suggested, never actually tried it myself though. Take as long as you want to look at the scrambled cube, then solve the cross BLD.

hawkmp4

The biggest thing that helped me, after I thought about it some, is kind of... multitasking. For example, correcting orientation of other cross pieces while placing the first helps greatly.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've heard this suggested, never actually tried it myself though. Take as long as you want to look at the scrambled cube, then solve the cross BLD.

yeah, as many times as they are suggested i too have never watched badmephisto's tuts. i didnt know he had an accent until like 2 weeks ago.

also, you should inspect the cube as long as you need, then solve it bld in 8 moves or less. the 8 moves part is important.

mrbiggs

If you're solving one piece at a time, you should start trying to solve two pieces at a time. Take your time so you can get used to the patterns that you'll start to see regularly.

Then do three at a time, then four. Then four + preparation for first F2L pair, then extended cross and such.

In short: 1. Do it in steps; you're not going to get an eight move cross in a day 2. practice

w47

Solving the cross

How do i sovle the cross fast?
my current timing for my cross is about 4-8 sec

Anyway, i just timed myself.

Cross:00:05.15
F2l:00:14.83
2 look Oll:00:09.02
2 look Pll:00:10.14
Total:00:39.14

Last edited: