• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[WRC Announcement] Skewb will be an official WCA Event as of January 1, 2014

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok so regulations? Notation? I guess I have to learn this stuff now. So pleased with the open and involved process this has gone through >_>

from first post: https://github.com/cubing/wca-documents/compare/skewb

notation:
12h) Notation for Skewb:
+ - 12h1) The puzzle is oriented with three faces fully visible, where the upper face is on top.
+ - 12h2) Clockwise, 120 degrees: R (the layer around the farthest visible bottom-right vertex), U (the layer around the farthest visible upper vertex), L (the layer around the farthest visible bottom-left vertex), B (the layer around the farthest non-visible back vertex).
+ - 12h3) Anti-clockwise, 120 degrees: R' (the layer around the farthest visible bottom-right vertex), U' (the layer around the farthest visible upper vertex), L' (the layer around the farthest visible bottom-left vertex), B' (the layer around the farthest non-visible back vertex).

AlexMaass

WCA
2011MAAS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Looks like another event I will actually decide to care about besides Pyraminx. I will name all my Skewbs Scooby.

I don't see any advantage of this over a regular Skewb, the center pieces are just like the ones of a regular Skewb, they just have holes in them and they are stickered btw.

Edit: Didn't realize that that Skewb was pillowed I guess it would be if it wasn't pillowed :p

Last edited:

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Will there be some mechanism to prevent stupid WRs by people who get to compete first? Like a 2-3 month period before the first WR-holders are named?

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Will there be some mechanism to prevent stupid WRs by people who get to compete first? Like a 2-3 month period before the first WR-holders are named?

Maybe I'm biased because I'm not going to Blizzard Town anymore, but I think this should be made! But then again, Sarah is not gonna be a stupid WR, so idk. Maybe not. Maybe have a sub-xx barrier or something?

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

There is currently no plan to do this. 6x6x6 and 7x7x7 were added without this, and despite some concerns, no one really got upset.

Maybe 1-2 people who "don't deserve it" will get a chance to snag the WR for a week. So what?

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There is currently no plan to do this. 6x6x6 and 7x7x7 were added without this, and despite some concerns, no one really got upset.

Maybe 1-2 people who "don't deserve it" will get a chance to snag the WR for a week. So what?

It's definitely not a big deal. Just a question/suggestion. (Queggestion?)

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Today is a momentous day.

Major props to Sarah for all her efforts not only to propose skewb and draft regulations, but in all her efforts in the community and for the advancement of skewb.

I should practice. I'll start up the Skewb Race thread (again (again (again))) on Sunday. Please be sure to check out the Skewb Discussion thread, and ask skewb questions there.

World records will sort themselves out quickly, at least by the 9th of February ;)

Happy skewbing, everybody.

Skullush

WCA
2011SAKO01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Ehh I don't know about that idea. Someone could get a seriously WR-worthy time after a month or so just to have it beaten before the time period is over, and then it wouldn't count.

Vincents

WCA
2006SHEU01
Definitely props to Sarah. I don't think this would have gotten done if she hadn't joined - I, for one, am no expert on Skewb. We also timed the announcement of US Nationals WITH Skewb.