• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[WRC Announcement] Skewb will be an official WCA Event as of January 1, 2014

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
hello everyone,
What do you think is the best speedsolving method fo skewb?

Taken from the Skewb Discussion thread:

The four most common skewb methods:

The Kirjava-Meep method (aka "Kirmeep")
Pros: Fully developed; algs are useful for other methods as well. Notation is consistent with WCA notation, except "D" is used in place of "B".
Cons: Some people find FCN algs to be slower for their hands.
Meep has averaged around 6 seconds with this.

Sarah Strong's Method
Pros: Low alg count (2 algs, and they're inverses of each other! Same alg as the 1-alg method). Very easy to finger trick.
Cons: Gripping the puzzle as Sarah does can be difficult to understand for beginners.
Sarah has averaged sub-7 iirc.

Ranzha's Skewb Method
Pros: Primarily based on intuition, many algs are short and join up to create new ones, easy to "hack".
Cons: Layer stays on U, and thus recog can be difficult to get accustomed to. Many feel turning style is awkward.
Ranzha (aka me) averages around 6.

The 1-alg method (popularized by Chris Bird)
Pros: One four-move algorithm that's easy to finger trick.
Cons: Inefficient; as a beginner's method, it does the job.
Mitch Lane has averaged sub-10 with this.

I really don't advise learning the 1-alg method because it's slow, inefficient, and it doesn't take much effort to learn one of the other three methods.

Sarah and I have made video tutorials for beginners as well:
Sarah's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpykCxeMA6U
Mine: http://bit.ly/ranzhaskewb

There's more that can be said about each of these methods. If you're going for a legit speedsolving method, of these, Sarah's is most widely used. It's important to delve into each of the techniques of each method, for versatility's sake. Also, it's important to explore on your own because, who knows, you might find your own great method!

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice work, Sarah (and all that contributed to the proposal).
Today is a momentous day.

Major props to Sarah for all her efforts not only to propose skewb and draft regulations, but in all her efforts in the community and for the advancement of skewb.

Definitely props to Sarah. I don't think this would have gotten done if she hadn't joined - I, for one, am no expert on Skewb. We also timed the announcement of US Nationals WITH Skewb.

Thanks everyone. :) I'm glad we finally made this happen.

More people need to acknowledge Chen Shuang's efforts on his skewb scrambler, which is now integrated with TNoodle. This definitely would have not been possible without him.