• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WRC wants to remove rotations and wide moves as legal moves for FMC

I think this is a horrible idea and it shouldn’t happen.
but then there are 43 quintillion possibilities on a 3x3. And 1 rotation counts as a different possibility. I can see where they could possibly come from but i still think they should not be removed. As for wide moves, I feel the same way. They are technically doing a normal move and rotation but if you have ever tried to do a wide move alg without the wide moves it’s really hard to translate. I completely disagree with this.

WCA
2016BAIR01
I think this is a horrible idea and it shouldn’t happen.
but then there are 43 quintillion possibilities on a 3x3. And 1 rotation counts as a different possibility. I can see where they could possibly come from but i still think they should not be removed. As for wide moves, I feel the same way. They are technically doing a normal move and rotation but if you have ever tried to do a wide move alg without the wide moves it’s really hard to translate. I completely disagree with this.
Rotations don’t count for how many permutations a cube has :p definitely agree on wide moves though!

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
thetx789
They are technically doing a normal move and rotation but if you have ever tried to do a wide move alg without the wide moves it’s really hard to translate. I completely disagree with this.
You don't have much experience with FMC, you don't really use algs. One reason the WRC wants to do this is for beginners.

There is an advanced technique made slower by removing these moves since you need to convert your skeleton multiple times.

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
I honestly had no idea you were allowed wide moves or rotations in FMC.
I don't recall noticing them posted in solutions on here.
I always assumed it was part of the skillset required to transcribe them into single face turns for the submitted solution...

You don't have much experience with FMC, you don't really use algs. One reason the WRC wants to do this is for beginners.

There is an advanced technique made slower by removing these moves since you need to convert your skeleton multiple times.
Wow I’ve been burned And attacked.
also I know you don’t use algs MOST OF THE TIME you still use algs occasionally.

SenorJuan

But it's beginners in particular that WILL use algorithms, some of which will inevitably use wide moves and rotations. Having to re-write an algorithm so it has no wide turns isn't trivial if you're a beginner, it would use up time, require double-checking, any errors you make might result in you having to solve+rescramble etc.
And I like [ R ], [ U ] or [ r ], [ f ] etc notation for cube rotations, they're far more intuitive than the more mathematical x,y,z. And if you're not familiar with them, they are trivial to learn. So both these should be kept.
I think the existing rules and allowances are fine as they are. What seems to be the problem is lack of knowledge/experience of the rules. All competitors should be issued with a guidance/rule sheet showing what is acceptable, describing [ f ] , z , r etc, before the hour starts. And all judges should, obviously be familiar with them too.

xyzzy

also I know you don’t use algs MOST OF THE TIME you still use algs occasionally.
I use ZBLL in like a third of my FMC attempts, but then again, I also suck at FMC now, so…

But it's beginners in particular that WILL use algorithms, some of which will inevitably use wide moves and rotations. Having to re-write an algorithm so it has no wide turns isn't trivial if you're a beginner, it would use up time, require double-checking, any errors you make might result in you having to solve+rescramble etc.
There's a huge gap between these two kinds of "beginners":
(i) (apparently the majority of people who try FMC officially?) people who write down a mediocre CFOP solution that's 55+ moves long with a zillion rotations and DNF like half of their attempts due to notation mistakes or whatever;
(ii) people who have read the FMC tutorial (or e.g. watched J Perm's videos) and have done maybe 5-20 serious practice attempts.

It's not trivial to translate algs, yes, but it's also not very difficult and one can pick it up after doing it a couple of times. In other words, this might be a problem for former type of beginners, but almost certainly not the latter, and I honestly can't bring myself to care a lot about the former. But that said, leaving rotations/wide moves in does lower the barrier to entry and beginners of the first kind might eventually become beginners of the second kind, and it doesn't seem like rotations or wide moves make grading much harder anyway.

(maybe I'll submit a solution using only wide moves…)

And I like [ R ], [ U ] or [ r ], [ f ] etc notation for cube rotations, they're far more intuitive than the more mathematical x,y,z. And if you're not familiar with them, they are trivial to learn. So both these should be kept.
I actually like the square bracket notation too. x/y/z is kind of arbitrary—while the standard is to have them in counterclockwise order (right hand rule or whatever it's called), that alone doesn't uniquely define which direction should have which label. In fact, it makes more sense to me that x/y/z should be R/B/U rather than R/U/F.

Sion

If anything, I'm probably the only one who doesn't see this as major.

Wide moves can still be used as part of the solution, just not the written one. It probably will be tricky, but it would still be possible to transcribe a solution with wide moves into one without, given you compensate for adjusting the orientation of the cube and try to mitigate the use of rotations which have no major impact on the final state if you shift everything to the perception of one orientation.