• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] What should I learn next?

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm in a similar boat. I've only done 3x3 and GIANT CUBES (7,9,13,15) until recently. I am finding 2x2 Ortega kinda fun and i would recommend it if you want a small lag set for a very fast event. 4x4 & 5x5 Are also fun because you get introduced to new concepts, centers and edge pairing but the solves are much longer (I like that aspect). BLD is great if you want to cube but also want a total 180 on Your cubing experience.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello,

I have been cubing for quite some time now and I’ve been thinking to do another event. (Pyraminx, Skewb, 4x4 etc)
Anyone got any good suggestions?
Square-1. I love square-1 and it's my favorite event by a mile. If you enjoy 2x2 square-1 will be a good event for you. If you think about it Square-1 is a better version of 2x2. Both events are almost completely alg based but Square-1 has a ton of small optimizations and such. There is not a lot of people that seriously do Square-1 as of right now so its very easy to rise up the ranks (Only took me a year between learning how to solve it for the first time and breaking into the top 1000 from September 2018 to September 2019). Unfortunately, I have not been able to compete since October but that is another problem with Square-1, it's not held very often. Luckily where I live its held very often due to a high volume of competitive solvers but in some places, it's only held once or twice a year. anyway, the Square-1 is an interesting puzzle that rewards high TPS along with slight alterations to regular algorithms that can give you an advantage. I went into squan with the mentality that its an awful event but I have come out the other side with nothing but good things to say for the event (aside from hardware, the volt v2 is pretty good but we still have a long way to go). If you want a challenge with something new, I would put square-1 at the top of the list.

Square-1. I love square-1 and it's my favorite event by a mile. If you enjoy 2x2 square-1 will be a good event for you. If you think about it Square-1 is a better version of 2x2. Both events are almost completely alg based but Square-1 has a ton of small optimizations and such. There is not a lot of people that seriously do Square-1 as of right now so its very easy to rise up the ranks (Only took me a year between learning how to solve it for the first time and breaking into the top 1000 from September 2018 to September 2019). Unfortunately, I have not been able to compete since October but that is another problem with Square-1, it's not held very often. Luckily where I live its held very often due to a high volume of competitive solvers but in some places, it's only held once or twice a year. anyway, the Square-1 is an interesting puzzle that rewards high TPS along with slight alterations to regular algorithms that can give you an advantage. I went into squan with the mentality that its an awful event but I have come out the other side with nothing but good things to say for the event (aside from hardware, the volt v2 is pretty good but we still have a long way to go). If you want a challenge with something new, I would put square-1 at the top of the list.
How many algs are there in total for full CSP? (I know pretty much nothing bout squan)

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
How many algs are there in total for full CSP? (I know pretty much nothing bout squan)
That's not how CSP works. The way CSP works is you either bld track pieces to find parity or you use the better Cale CSP method where you count parities in the current cube shape. If you have parity, you do a parity swap during your cubeshape. If you have no parity, you dont do a parity swap during cubeshape. Technically it has a set amount of algorithms but it's a very grueling task to learn how to execute every singe cubeshape there is 2 different ways.

dudefaceguy

I vote for 3BLD, since it's my current infatuation. It's a lot easier than I thought it would be, and I'm having more fun than I've ever had cubing. You can go a lot of different ways with it too.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I vote for 3BLD, since it's my current infatuation. It's a lot easier than I thought it would be, and I'm having more fun than I've ever had cubing. You can go a lot of different ways with it too.
I picked up 3bld around a month ago and I have to agree. I only have 3 successes but I have a lot of fun with the event

KPOACAH

Hello,

I have been cubing for quite some time now and I’ve been thinking to do another event. (Pyraminx, Skewb, 4x4 etc)
Anyone got any good suggestions?

You can continue with pyraminx -> skewb -> 4*4 and more

Oobius

You can continue with pyraminx -> skewb -> 4*4 and more

I dont actually do those events, I was just giving some example of events.
I would do 4x4 or megaminx if you want a challenge, and 2x2, pyraminx, or skewb if you want it to be easy.

Sent from the trash can behind McDonald's using Tapatalk

So 4x4, megaminx, 2x2, pyra and skewb are all good choices?

I'm in a similar boat. I've only done 3x3 and GIANT CUBES (7,9,13,15) until recently. I am finding 2x2 Ortega kinda fun and i would recommend it if you want a small lag set for a very fast event. 4x4 & 5x5 Are also fun because you get introduced to new concepts, centers and edge pairing but the solves are much longer (I like that aspect). BLD is great if you want to cube but also want a total 180 on Your cubing experience.
Since my brder brought me into cubing, he got a skewb, pyra, 4x4 and 5x5 which I can solve. I find 4x4 and 5x5 most fun, but never really like skewb and pyra. For 3x3 im about sub 23 which I kind of fine a bit boring sometimes.

ep2

I have 6 PLLs to go, the Ns and the Gs. The Gs have much more likelihood to come up, but cubeskills seems to say to Ns first. I'm really slow at learning algs, which should I do first?

I have 6 PLLs to go, the Ns and the Gs. The Gs have much more likelihood to come up, but cubeskills seems to say to Ns first. I'm really slow at learning algs, which should I do first?

I think you should learn the N perms first, G Perms are quite easy, a misconception is that they are hard but you should learn the N perms first, specifically the Nb perm. Na is super easy, just a setup to J perm, Nb on the other hand is hard because they are long, but once you learn it, the rest of the PLLs are a breeze.

edit : I switched around Nb with Na, Na is lefty, Nb is righty.

Last edited:
I'd say Ns first. They're pretty easy.
Na: F' R U R' U' R' F R2 F U' R' U' R U F' R'
Nb: F r' F' r U r U' r2 D' F r U r' F' D r

I'd say Ns first. They're pretty easy.
Na: F' R U R' U' R' F R2 F U' R' U' R U F' R'
Nb: F r' F' r U r U' r2 D' F r U r' F' D r

That Nb perm is kind of ugly, the alg is using lots of wide moves and R2s, it is probably confusing because it messes up the whole cube first, and you'd have to regrip a lot. The RUL alg for Nb is probably better.

the alg is using lots of wide moves
And what's wrong with wide moves?
the alg is using lots of wide moves and R2s
There are no R2s, only r2s, and there's only one of those
it is probably confusing because it messes up the whole cube first
If you memorize the alg that's not a problem
you'd have to regrip a lot
There are no regrips in that alg
The RUL alg for Nb is probably better.
Why? You find RUL better than rUD?

Last edited:

Wide moves over-use your hand/finger.

There are no R2s, only r2s, and there's only one of those

one move ago, you were doing and r and next, you are doing an r2, which again, is overworking your hand/finger. Also I meant that there are lots of wide moves then I said there is also r2s

If you memorize the alg that's not a problem

I'm really slow at learning algs

he just said that he has trouble learning algs.

There are no regrips in that alg

I don't know how you executed it, but I have a lot of trouble doing wide moves without regrip, because there are an abundance of it on this alg.

Why? You find RUL better than rUD?

the RUL algs are just much simpler to learn and execute, it doesn't mess up the cube as much as 3Gen wide moves, which makes it less confusing and you can execute it faster.

Last edited:
Wide moves over-use your hand/finger.

one move ago, you were doing and r and next, you are doing an r2, which again, is overworking your hand/finger.

he just said that he has trouble learning algs.

I don't know how you executed it, but I have a lot of trouble doing wide moves without regrip, because there are an abundance of it on this alg.

the RUL algs are just much simpler to learn and execute.
Wide rs are executed basically the same way as normal Rs. The only 'Regrip' you have is sliding your thumb onto the center piece.