• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] What should I learn next?

Sycic Cubers

Hi guys. Relatively new to cubing and just recently memorised F2l and 2 look Oll and pll on 3x3. Now what should I do next? Move onto cubes such as pyraminx or 4x4? Or should I start leaning ZBLL and VOS?

Thanks for reading and any responses

Mischiiii

It really depends on you i think. Some might say you should wait to learn full PLL and OLL but I think if you prefer 3x3 over other events and you still want something to learn then you should move on with full PLL followed by full OLL. That what I’m doing. 3x3 is my favorite and i don’t want to learn any 4x4 until i learned full pll and oll.
Whats your average? That information will be useful for the other people who want to answer.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Do what you want :)
If you’re new, maybe improve at 3x3 first before moving onto other cubes/puzzles. The 4x4 is obvious, 2x2 gives you the thrill of an extremely fast solve, BLD is so satisfying when you lift off your blindfold and see a solved cube...
Try out everything!

I haven’t even branched out into other puzzles yet, and I’m sub 27... Hoping I get like a Megaminx or something for Christams.

Sycic Cubers

It really depends on you i think. Some might say you should wait to learn full PLL and OLL but I think if you prefer 3x3 over other events and you still want something to learn then you should move on with full PLL followed by full OLL. That what I’m doing. 3x3 is my favorite and i don’t want to learn any 4x4 until i learned full pll and oll.
Whats your average? That information will be useful for the other people who want to answer.
I’m only averaging around 45 seconds. One of the reasons is because it takes a 2-3 second wait to figure out which Oll or pll I have to do. I’m hoping to atleast get sub 30 by the end of the year. Is it possible to get sub 30 from begginer cfop?

Sycic Cubers

If you’re new, maybe improve at 3x3 first before moving onto other cubes/puzzles. The 4x4 is obvious, 2x2 gives you the thrill of an extremely fast solve, BLD is so satisfying when you lift off your blindfold and see a solved cube...
Try out everything!

I haven’t even branched out into other puzzles yet, and I’m sub 27... Hoping I get like a Megaminx or something for Christams.
Try out everything!

thank you for replying. Sub 27 right now is my dream. And do you actually use petrus?

SdnS

WCA
2018SEXT01
I have been cubing for about 3-4 years, and have been averaging 20+ seconds on 3x3 for the past 2 years. It was only last year I really decided to go competitive, and try to improve and that’s when I learned full PLL, and a couple OLL algs. I still wasn’t getting any faster, and one day I started to look into f2l look ahead which legitimately dropped my average 3-5 seconds in one day. After that I started averaging 15-18 seconds, and I’m learning a lot more OLL algorithms and I’m starting to wonder, what I should approach next?

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, that sounds OK. Somebody more experienced with CFOP should probably help though. I’d say try planning out cross + 1 as GAN 356 X suggested, and experiment with X Cross. Drill F2L algs, make sure you know all of them, and I mean ALL. Then continue your lookahead. It’s so important. Maybe try influencing edge OLL?

Deadloxz

learning full oll and pll is not a must. Before I took a break from cubing I was averaging sub 19.5 with just 4 look oll and almost full pll. I would learn full oll at around 17 or 16. Just work on cross, drill f2l cases like PetrusQuber said, and drill pretty much every alg you know and are learning. Work on looking ahead.

Dc3032

I can solve a 3 x 3, and I’m trying to determine the next cube I should try. In order of difficulty of learning to solve (I.e. the ones w the most additional algs or steps beyond that of a beginner 3x3 solve). Can you rate 4 x 4, 5 x 5, and megaminx?

From what I’ve read already, I’m leaning toward either the 5 x 5 or the megamix.

Also, which is more fun to solve (once you know how)?

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
I can solve a 3 x 3, and I’m trying to determine the next cube I should try. In order of difficulty of learning to solve (I.e. the ones w the most additional algs or steps beyond that of a beginner 3x3 solve). Can you rate 4 x 4, 5 x 5, and megaminx?

From what I’ve read already, I’m leaning toward either the 5 x 5 or the megamix.

As far as difficulty goes, it depends on if you use F2L. If you know F2L, then megaminx is easiest, but otherwise, 5x5 is easier than 4x4, but the centers and edge pairing takes longer.

Do you know F2L? If so, you could do megaminx, but if you don't, learn either 4x4 or 5x5. 4x4 involves 1 more parity alg, but I find it more fun.

My favorites in order are 4x4 megaminx, 5x5. 5x5 could just be my least favorite because I have a bad one, but I am getting a Valk 5 M soon.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Pyraminx is a lot easier than these 3, and I would recommend that before any of these.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel

I personally find megaminx to be more beginner friendly since you can apply the beginners method to it and just learn a couple extra algs for the last layer.