• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] What should I learn next?

xyzzy

The four parts of (the standard) 4LLL are:
1. EO (edge orientation)
2. CO (corner orientation)
3. CP (corner permutation)
4. EP (edge permutation)

COLL lets you combine #2 and #3 into one step, leading to:
1. EO
2+3. CO+CP (COLL)
4. EP
But from here, combining 1+2+3 leads to OLLCP, which is a gigantic alg set with 300-ish algs, while combining 2+3+4 leads to ZBLL, which is an even larger alg set with almost 500 algs. There's no easy progression from this 3-look system to a 2-look system.

On the other hand, PLL lets you combine #3 and #4 into one step, leading to:
1. EO
2. CO
3+4. CP+EP (PLL)
Progressing from here to a 2-look system is pretty easy in comparison: just combine steps #1 and #2 for full OLL ("only" 57 algs).

As 3-look systems, learning either one of COLL and PLL will have roughly the same benefit over 4LLL; the real difference is in how you can progress from there.

---

Now, there's an alternative last layer system that might have some potential: CLL/ELL. (People dismissed this in the past, but these days people have generated better ELL algs.) It's a 2-look system, where you first solve the corners (CLL, 42 algs) and then the edges (ELL, 29-ish algs). If you know CMLL, most of them can be used as CLL algs too, so it's mostly only ELL that you have to learn.

Here's a list of all the algs you'd need for CLL/ELL: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hNa6Fr8q7b_O2_Iji6S4G0zmSdGO8xihQxar1qHTeNw/edit

u Cube

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi,

I'm new to speedcubing, and I have a question. So I know CFOP, with 4-look last layer, IE 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL.
Before I tried CFOP I tried Roux because it was mostly intuitive, and we have something in Roux called CMLL, which is very similar to COLL.
When I started doing CFOP, I realized that CMLL, if it was adapted to CFOP, would be pretty good, for 4-look last layer.
It didn't take much digging for me to learn that there is something like that, and it was called COLL.
Now I'm at a crossroads. Both COLL and full PLL would help improve my times, but I'm not sure which one I should choose.
Any help?
Thanks.
PLL, COLL is not worth learning and is barely better, if better, than OLL + PLL since a lot of plls can be executed sub-1.5 with little effort

hadofhfo

Thanks for the responses. From what I've read, I think I'll go with PLL. I'm still new to speedcubing and algs make my brain hurt lol. It's the lazy road for me :) I didn't know about CLL and ELL, but even so, they were too many algs to learn, IE ~100 vs 27

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the responses. From what I've read, I think I'll go with PLL. I'm still new to speedcubing and algs make my brain hurt lol. It's the lazy road for me :) I didn't know about CLL and ELL, but even so, they were too many algs to learn, IE ~100 vs 27
CLL/ELL vs OLL/PLL in terms of alg count:
CLL/ELL is 42+29=71.
OLL/PLL is 57+21=78. So it's actually fewer algs for 2lll. And when you get further into speedcubing, you'll realise that ~80 algs isn't a lot. I do agree though that OLL/PLL is a lot more common and PLL is more applicable to other methods, although CLL is more applicable to roux. It's all down to preference, and it doesn't matter too much between them.

hadofhfo

Really good point. I might actually end up going with CLL/ELL. CLL would offer immediate progression, and room to progress with ELL.

FelixFastCube

I have 22 more OLL's to go before I know full Fridrich. I am wondering in what order should I start introducing the fine techniques? I already do Pieces Stuck in Another Slot and Using Empty Slots intuitively. Should I continue doing these intuitively or should I learn algs for them? When should I introduce multi-slotting and mis-aligned pairs? COLL? VH and maybe ZB? Also, for multi-slotting and mis-aligned pairs is it possible to learn these intuitively and how?
I have 22 more OLL's to go before I know full Fridrich. I am wondering in what order should I start introducing the fine techniques? I already do Pieces Stuck in Another Slot and Using Empty Slots intuitively. Should I continue doing these intuitively or should I learn algs for them? When should I introduce multi-slotting and mis-aligned pairs? COLL? VH and maybe ZB? Also, for multi-slotting and mis-aligned pairs is it possible to learn these intuitively and how?
I think, If you finished learning Oll, you should try to improve you're cross and F2L. I recommend learning algs for the cases that took you over 8 moves. You should watch tutorials from J-Perm. I have noticed, that Oll is not everything. My F2l was so bad, but now it is a lot better. Now I am learning VLS and 1. Pair during Inspection.

Rebmich

I have already learned full oll and pll so I don't know what I should try learning next (This is for 3x3)

WCA
2018JARV02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have already learned full oll and pll so I don't know what I should try learning next (This is for 3x3)
COLL is the first set you should learn after you finish OLL and PLL, just make sure you're always spending time on f2l as it is the most important part of your speedsolve.

After COLL, Winter Variation (WV) and Valk Last Slot (VLS) can be fun to learn, and various OLLCP's, ZBLL's and even 1LLL's can be beneficial

Hope this helps!

WCA
2018BRUM01
I am just finishing up full oll, and I want to learn coll after that, but beyond that can somebody tell me what cfop subsets there are, what they do, and what order I should learn them in. I have lots of time to learn algs this summer so any help recommending what to learn is appreciated. Thanks!

jronge94

WCA
2014RONG01
I am just finishing up full oll, and I want to learn coll after that, but beyond that can somebody tell me what cfop subsets there are, what they do, and what order I should learn them in. I have lots of time to learn algs this summer so any help recommending what to learn is appreciated. Thanks!
explore a bit, there's a lot of sub-sets with each their own merrit