• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The ZZVolution.

What do you think is the superior method?

• Total voters
You don't need to learn full ZBLL to have the fastest ZZ. You only really need TUL, 2 sets of Pi, 2 sets of H and then use OCLL/PLL for the rest. You also don't need to learn it all in a set time frame - you can learn an alg per day and be done with those algs in less than 8 months, or you could go through more intense periods of alg learning then taking a break for a bit and still be done in less than a year. Also, there's not really much point using portico when you could just do vanilla ZZ (OCLL/PLL) and be as fast, if not faster.
TL;DR: don't be scared of full ZBLL because you don't have to learn all of it and OCLL/PLL can be pretty fast anyway.
Welcome to ZZ! If you need any more help, just ask (you could also join the discord server we have, invite is in my signature).
so i was using portico to get into zz beacuse its kinda hard to not use m moves and completly ruin your eo so i guess its zza now

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I see, you used portico because it's kinda like Roux, not a bad way to do it tbf.
There's also ZZ-4c which is where you solve your EOLine with your ULUR edges instead, do normal F2L, COLL, then you insert them and do 4c, but I would definitely recommend ZZ-A over that.

I can sometimes recognise EOCross+1 but not with any consistency.

u Cube

YouTube
Visit Channel
hey everyone
so i started using zz and im quite slow (still getting used to eo coming from roux)
im scared that im going to have to learn zbll eventually
and when i see the algs i go ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... im never going to learn this
edit also im using portico and planning to switch to full zz a but should i?or should i stick to portico?
Do not use ZZ, roux is objectively better and has been proven many times.

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do not use ZZ, roux is objectively better and has been proven many times.
As most people in this thread have said, how?

EOCross=FB+DR (4 pieces plus EO of everything else vs 6 pieces is pretty fair, similar number of moves, ~9 for each).
2.5 ZZ pairs=rest of second block (ZZ pairs are very fast (imagine CFOP pairs but faster) and Roux SB has some bad blind spots as well as some overturning issues).
Finish F2L=CMLL (this is like a 1 second alg vs a .6 second alg for LS and about .3 for half of other pair, so is in ZZ's favour mildly).
ZBLL=LSE (both are about sub 2 and could be substantialy faster depending on the case, even when factoring in using OCLL/PLL instead).

Also, that video doesn't have these:

mukerflap

As most people in this thread have said, how?

EOCross=FB+DR (4 pieces plus EO of everything else vs 6 pieces is pretty fair, similar number of moves, ~9 for each).
2.5 ZZ pairs=rest of second block (ZZ pairs are very fast (imagine CFOP pairs but faster) and Roux SB has some bad blind spots as well as some overturning issues).
Finish F2L=CMLL (this is like a 1 second alg vs a .6 second alg for LS and about .3 for half of other pair, so is in ZZ's favour mildly).
ZBLL=LSE (both are about sub 2 and could be substantialy faster depending on the case, even when factoring in using OCLL/PLL instead).

Also, that video doesn't have these:
LSE is objectively faster

OreKehStrah

I’m just saying, people who don’t actively use ZZ/EOCross really shouldn’t be trying to put their opinion out there with claims that something else is objectively better. Most people just hear somebody fast say something and echo it, instead of forming their own opinions from personal experience.