• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The method debate thread

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
no but he was clearly doing roux

Roux is different from what Feliks did

Roux steps are 1. F2B 2. CMLL 3. L6E
What Feliks did (according to what has been said on this thread) is 1. F2B 2. Finish F2L by solving the M slice cross edges 3. OLL 4. PLL 2. some unknown step 3. PLL

THIS IS NOT ROUX, YOU ARE WRONG, STOP TRYING TO PULL THINGS OUT OF NOWHERE AND ACCEPT YOU ARE WRONG

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Answer the question has he tried roux
I watched J perms zz tutorial a few days ago I learnt about EO and how ZZ works but in a solve I would not be able to perform perfect ZZ have I tried ZZ yes am I good at it obviously not but trying something is very different to mastering something a concept you seem unable to wrap your head around.
There is a big difference between messing up something that you know how to do versus literally not knowing how to do something. Feliks legitimately thinks (or thought) that what he was doing was roux, which it isn't.

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
I did some Averaging of pros and cons of methods..
i started with ZZ v EOcross v Petrus
ZZ:14Cfop:14EOcross:10Petrus:10
i now think petrus can deffinitly be sub 8
I than Did Leor v Petrus
and leor got 7 petrus got 8
(it was just two so it was diff numbers.)
Catagories i looked into for this
Rotations
Movecount
inspection
regrips
pausing(lookahaed.
it was pretty basic but i just wanted an overview and i'm glad i chose petrus because it seems to have slightly more potential than ZZ
im not trying to start a method debate and this is not fact, its just what i've observed possible.

Last edited:
i now think petrus can deffinitly be
I than Did Leor v Petrus
Rotations
Movecount
inspection
regrips
pausing
it was pretty basic but i just wanted an overview and i'm glad i chose petrus because it seems to have slightly more potential than ZZ
im not trying to start a method debate and this is not fact, its just what i've observed possible.
You've not started a debate, you've started a war

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I than Did Leor v Petrus
Rotations
Movecount
inspection
regrips
pausing(lookahaed.
Please can I have the actual reasoning? I am extremely confused to how you got Petrus better than ZZ, even better than EOLine (although as mentioned, it's obselete).

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I than Did Leor v Petrus
Rotations
Movecount
inspection
regrips
pausing(lookahaed.
Oh my goodness

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
dude i didnt put it in this thread for a reason,
i didnt want to debate i put it in the sub 8 petrus thread because its about petrus,
i dont want it to be here.
also i just said it was better theoretically than eoline, not eocross or other variants.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd find ZZ to be much faster than petrus becuz even though petrus has fewer moves to solve whole F2L, ZZ influences last layer with EO and can be done with one whole alg with ZBLL. Just doing OLL and PLL on petrus could be fine, but ZZ has so many tricks up its sleeves that its just super efficient to solve. It may seem like petrus can just finish F2L faster than ZZ, but becuz ZZ has way much better fingertricks, ZZF2L is faster. And geez, if a ZZ user cant do ZBLL, that user can do phasing and then ZZLL which is just solving the whole last layer with only 170 something algs, or just use OLS->PLL or COLL->EPLL. There's so much flexibility with ZZ and I really think petrus doesn't really have much but just more freedom. The only downside about ZZ is that it is super difficult (and I mean VERY DIFFICULT) to get fast with becuz theres so much an average human can comprehend. You'd have to be very committed to become sub-8 or sub-7 with ZZ and experience/practice all the tricks to perfect your solutions and strategies.

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
i didn't the mods put it here cause its about methods.
or it was an accident, i seriosly dont know lol
you also could use zbll with LL,
i think eo cross and Petrus are near even,
one having amazing fingertricks and lookahead
and the other bieng insanely iffecient.

mukerflap

i didn't the mods put it here cause its about methods.
or it was an accident, i seriosly dont know lol
you also could use zbll with LL,
i think eo cross and Petrus are near even,
one having amazing fingertricks and lookahead
and the other bieng insanely iffecient.
petrus is not that efficient