• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The method debate thread

mukerflap

They are doable but easy is a stretch, not to mention the lack of corner cutting on big cubes making roux harder, don’t people say that roux is much more hardware dependent? If that’s the case then it’s inferior in big cubes
you can make the exact same argument for cfop

WCA
2017OWEN01
They are doable but easy is a stretch, not to mention the lack of corner cutting on big cubes making roux harder, don’t people say that roux is much more hardware dependent? If that’s the case then it’s inferior in big cubes
M moves are easy on 4 and 5 and in 6 and 7 they aren’t that bad with magnets and practice, doing a more efficient method also helps with the worse hardware as you don’t need as high TPS. Im also pretty sure that max would still be 1st in the world for 6 and 7 with a 20 second 3x3 stage and that it really doesn’t matter what method you use for those.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
you can make the exact same argument for cfop
No, you cant. CFOP doesn't require high cornercutting limits due to a lack of slice moves. Slice moves require reverse and forward cornercutting so if only one of them sucks you will lock up, and we all know that cornercutting is pretty bad on big cubes, not to mention pops are very common while doing extreme cornercutting which is again, much more common while using slice moves. Not to mention it's much harder to keep the layers of the cube stable and in proper alignment, especially on bigger puzzles, when doing MU moves compared to RU or LU or even RUF/RUD
M moves are easy on 4 and 5 and in 6 and 7 they aren’t that bad with magnets and practice, doing a more efficient method also helps with the worse hardware as you don’t need as high TPS. Im also pretty sure that max would still be 1st in the world for 6 and 7 with a 20 second 3x3 stage and that it really doesn’t matter what method you use for those.
Not sure where you are going with this but the issue with your argument is that there is only 1 max park. Everyone else out there still needs a half-decent 3x3 stage and with the limitations of roux on big cubes, 9/10 times CFOP will be the better option. I'm not saying that M moves are impossible on 5-7, I'm saying they are much harder than regular moves done in a CFOP, ZZ, or Petrus solve. Not to mention that M moves are very risky on big cubes and I got a 5x5 DNF that was going to be a PR due to an MU U perm that was an r off from being solved.

WCA
2017OWEN01
Not sure where you are going with this but the issue with your argument is that there is only 1 max park. Everyone else out there still needs a half-decent 3x3 stage and with the limitations of roux on big cubes, 9/10 times CFOP will be the better option. I'm not saying that M moves are impossible on 5-7, I'm saying they are much harder than regular moves done in a CFOP, ZZ, or Petrus solve. Not to mention that M moves are very risky on big cubes and I got a 5x5 DNF that was going to be a PR due to an MU U perm that was an r off from being solved.
my point is that your 3x3 stage isn’t limiting you in your big cube progression also people can do M moves very well on Big cubes with practice as proven by the video sent earlier. They aren’t much harder you just do them much less and haven’t got accurate enough turning. And you clearly don’t have a PR DNF because an r move off is a plus 2 which is just as likely with CFOP.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
my point is that your 3x3 stage isn’t limiting you in your big cube progression also people can do M moves very well on Big cubes with practice as proven by the video sent earlier. They aren’t much harder you just do them much less and haven’t got accurate enough turning. And you clearly don’t have a PR DNF because an r move off is a plus 2 which is just as likely with CFOP.
See what @ProStar said and check your facts before you say something clearly incorrect.
r Is a slice move, and the WCA is on OBTM, so an r move is 2 moves, which is a DNF.
This is what I mean by r, I dont mean R, I dont mean Rw, I mean r.