• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Picking up cubing again and debating methods.

Goosey Cubed

YouTube
Visit Channel
- this is probably very poorly worded, please excuse.

I started cubing in around 2015, basically only did 2-4 and OH. I was sub 12 at 3x3, and sub 17 OH using CFOP. I stopped cubing around late 2017 because it seemed my progress had come to a stop and I was so tired of learning algs so I basically just quit.

I had a random spark of interest today after seeing the speed cubing documentary on my netflix feed and I found out it was directed by Chris Olson and narrated by Felix. I started researching cubing again and plan to buy multiple puzzles soon *i got rid of every puzzle i owned besides an old thunderclap v1 thats missing many stickers* and I've been back and forth debating which 3x3 method I should pick up. CFOP seemed like I just couldn't get any better and Roux has always intrigued me besides the blockbuilding and intuition, which I am not good at by any means. I've been debating the long term benefits of picking up Roux vs CFOP and just wanted to know you guys' opinion. With a little practice of blockbuilding and lookahead and things of that sort do you think I would be able to achieve my previous sub 12-13 second times I had with CFOP in a few months time and alot of practice?

I apologize if this is a dumb question or spam or something unwanted in these forums, it's been a while haha :p

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Your post isn't spam, it is fine to post stuff like that here.

I think that if you picked up CFOP again you could get your times back fairly quickly, so I would recommend sticking to CFOP.

If CFOP is really boring for you you could try learning new puzzles or switching to a new method, I don't think you will be able to get your times down to 12-13 with Roux in a few months, it would probably take at least a year. But if it is more fun for you to solve the cube using Roux, go for it. If you want to be faster you should stick to CFOP.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Welcome! I agree with Owen for the most part, except that I think that whatever makes cubing the most fun for you should be what you pick. It will keep you interested longer if you use a method that you enjoy using. I would also definitely recommend learning some new puzzles, like Owen said. I personally use CFOP, just like most people, but once again, Roux has proven to be just as fast, as it has a sub-6 average in comp.