• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello, I used to be very active here many years ago. Having not touched a cube in a long time I took a chance on checking out a new-fangled magnetic cube. I couldn't believe how amazing it is. Blows my old Zhang Chi out if the water. Also nice to learn that Coloured cubes are competition legal :)

So turns out I forgot almost every OLL/PLL. Spend the last couple of weeks relearning them. Really wanting to be sub-20 cause I never managed that before. Still a way to go though. I can't believe how fast everyone else is now a days 🙂

Cuber2s

WCA
2021DACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello, I used to be very active here many years ago. Having not touched a cube in a long time I took a chance on checking out a new-fangled magnetic cube. I couldn't believe how amazing it is. Blows my old Zhang Chi out if the water. Also nice to learn that Coloured cubes are competition legal :)

So turns out I forgot almost every OLL/PLL. Spend the last couple of weeks relearning them. Really wanting to be sub-20 cause I never managed that before. Still a way to go though. I can't believe how fast everyone else is now a days 🙂
I've gotten sub 12 in 1 1/2 years so you will achieve your goal very fast, and probably get sub 15/12 in a few months :)

Chroma

Back on cubing after quitting it for 2 years (since the last budged cube broke), and need some advice or some other people's experience ig?

1. For now, I'd probably do the "beginner how to solve rubik's cube" and the question is, "when" should i try to learn new algorithm such as F2L, PLL, OLL, VLS, etc?

2. Are lube is a should (waterbase and silicon oil lube)? for maglev cube, do I need a weight 5?

3. Any tips on remembering algorithm, like, I always just forget old algorithm everytime i learnt a new algorithm (even if I haven't started to learn it, i felt like i kept forget em)?

Last edited:

PyrbatNeoxi

WCA
2016HAMI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Back on cubing after quitting it for 2 years (since the last budged cube broke), and need some advice or some other people's experience ig?

1. For now, I'd probably do the "beginner how to solve rubik's cube" and the question is, "when" should i try to learn new algorithm such as F2L, PLL, OLL, VLS, etc?

2. Are lube is a should (waterbase and silicon oil lube)? for maglev cube, do I need a weight 5?

3. Any tips on remembering algorithm, like, I always just forget old algorithm everytime i learnt a new algorithm (even if I haven't started to learn it, i felt like i kept forget em)?
1. a good pattern to follow when starting out is to keep doing the same thing over and over again until you can do it well and consistently, and then when you stagnate, learn something new

so for example, start with beginner's last layer, and then don't learn OLL+PLL until you can do beginner's LL well enough that it comes naturally

if you do too much at once you're going to get overwhelmed and not remember anything, if you do too little you're going to stagnate

(learn PLL, then OLL, then learn some F2L algs for cases you're not good at, before learning anything else. VLS would be a bad/inefficient to focus on for now)

2. use weight 5 for pieces, don't use lube on a maglev core unless you know what you're doing (the point of maglev is to get rid of core friction)

3. i would look up advice on youtube, there's things you can do but they're much better explained with visual examples

if you need to, only focus on one algorithm at a time and remembering when/why you use it, and then move on to the next

Chroma

1. a good pattern to follow when starting out is to keep doing the same thing over and over again until you can do it well and consistently, and then when you stagnate, learn something new

so for example, start with beginner's last layer, and then don't learn OLL+PLL until you can do beginner's LL well enough that it comes naturally

if you do too much at once you're going to get overwhelmed and not remember anything, if you do too little you're going to stagnate

(learn PLL, then OLL, then learn some F2L algs for cases you're not good at, before learning anything else. VLS would be a bad/inefficient to focus on for now)

2. use weight 5 for pieces, don't use lube on a maglev core unless you know what you're doing (the point of maglev is to get rid of core friction)

3. i would look up advice on youtube, there's things you can do but they're much better explained with visual examples

if you need to, only focus on one algorithm at a time and remembering when/why you use it, and then move on to the next
but on rs3m maglev, it still gave sound because of the friction to the side part(?)

cirnov2

Mature about what? Cubing? Life?
i think that explains.
Is cross really that underrated, when it's, besides F2L, one of the steps that get the most attention once you reach 10-12 seconds?

If I use your words, almost no good Method uses Cross, especially not Roux and that is one excellent method.

Also I know you have been Roleplaying before to bring your points across/to have an excuse to be rude, just drop it, it's a cross isn't even a coherent thought.
i should try to be myself more.
instead of acting like an idiot.

cuberswoop

WCA
2022FROU01
i think that explains.

i should try to be myself more.
instead of acting like an idiot.
I see nothing wrong with 1 or 2 people thinking you are stupid. If I quit as soon as someone said I was stupid I would not have joined this wonderful community and no doubt I wouldn't be able to do anything productive for the cubing community.

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
im not mature enough i think.

see y'all in a few years
I think you're mature

I see nothing wrong with 1 or 2 people thinking you are stupid. If I quit as soon as someone said I was stupid I would not have joined this wonderful community and no doubt I wouldn't be able to do anything productive for the cubing community.
Yeah, when I started cubing, almost everyone I knew bullied me for cubing and for my faith. Eventually (after almost 2 years), most of them realized that I wasn't going to change who I was and actually started looking up to me for sticking to what I believed in. Now, on the internet, some people look up to me, and some look down on me because I make mistakes -- I'm human, after all. I care about what people think, but only to an extent, which I think is healthy.

EDIT: I'm not just 'human,' I'm also 'Duck.'
Lol @TheCubingCuber347 it has been fixéd

Last edited: