• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should feet, magic and master magic be reintroduced?

VIBE_ZT

WCA
2018TRUD02
On a separate note I also think that FTO should be an event I think that we should try to have as many events as possible in the WCA
Okay so.... I agree with the first half of this. I believe FTO is quite a unique solve, and uniqur puzzle in general. It would indeed add quite a bit to the WCA.

HOWEVER. Having as many events as possible is just... eh. Having like 40 events may be difficult, in the sense that championships would have to host them all. That's really tough.

There are definitely threads on both of these topics, so I invite you to search for them on this forum.

socks make your toe movements useless. it would be like solving with stumps for hands
I mean... I think 99% of people use their big toes only when doing 3x3WF. Unless you are doing some crazy toe-tricks and M2's with your middle toes, I'm unsure that any sort of turning would be anything less than two toes and a bunch of floor abuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

DNF_Cuber

I mean... I think 99% of people use their big toes only when doing 3x3WF. Unless you are doing some crazy toe-tricks and M2's with your middle toes, I'm unsure that any sort of turning would be anything less than two toes and a bunch of floor abuse.
I tried with socks it was impossible. I only use my big toes but that is hard

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
socks make your toe movements useless. it would be like solving with stumps for hands
but what about the cold??

and 2bld is also bad because it's literally just 2x2 but without inspection. (compared to 3bld where you actually have to use a different solving method)
im sure @LukasCubes would LOVE to hear that (he has a competition for 2bld)

2bld shouldnt be that bad, maybe just like mediocre at least.

Humble Cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I believe that the WCA has a lack of variety and reintroducing these events would help solve that. I don’t believe that every competition, (even big ones like national championships) should have to hold these events. I don’t see why they should have been removed in the first place.
If there is even a small percentage of people that want to compete in these events why not let them. There is nothing bad about having more choices.
I don't think magic or master magic should be brought back, but feet should be given another chance, I think it's a interesting event and different than all other events.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
but I think it should still remain removed because it simply is unsanitary
I get that feet smell bad, but other than that how is it more unsanitary than your hands? Think about all the things your feet touch throughout a competition, they only touch your shoes. Now think about all the things that your hand touch throughout a competition. Yeah, feet may be gross, but from a biological standpoint your hands pick up a much wider variety of germs throughout the day compared to your feet.
but what about the cold??
Article 7d+ of the WCA guidelines state that "The temperature of the competition area should be 21 to 25 degrees Celsius." That's 69.8 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit, so all competitions following these guidelines won't have this issue/

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
I get that feet smell bad, but other than that how is it more unsanitary than your hands? Think about all the things your feet touch throughout a competition, they only touch your shoes. Now think about all the things that your hand touch throughout a competition. Yeah, feet may be gross, but from a biological standpoint your hands pick up a much wider variety of germs throughout the day compared to your feet.
93% of shoes have fecal matter in them. That is much dirtier than the hand thingy.

Article 7d+ of the WCA guidelines state that "The temperature of the competition area should be 21 to 25 degrees Celsius." That's 69.8 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit, so all competitions following these guidelines won't have this issue/

Ok understandable, but feet is still gross.

VIBE_ZT

WCA
2018TRUD02
im sure @LukasCubes would LOVE to hear that (he has a competition for 2bld)

2bld shouldnt be that bad, maybe just like mediocre at least.
For higher-level 2x2 solvers, they 1-look the scramble. Meaning they plan out every move they need in inspection. Meaning that, while they are looking at the during solves, they don't need to.

Rami Sbahi actually made a video of this:
where he did a 2x2 Ao5, but he put a blindfold on before he started the timer. And...it was pretty mych how he'd normally solve. Just layer, then EG alg. It's functionally the same as a regular solve with inspection, and for good 2x2 solvers, 2x2 Blindfolded would literally add nothing new.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Additionally, 2BLD would be impossible to regulate well with the requirement to hold the paper in front of the solver's face. For high level solvers, the solve would likely be over before the judge could react, opening the door to a lot of potential cheating, like doing the layer and recognizing or verifying the EG case before the paper comes up.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would love if master magic is reintroduced. I started competing in 2013 just a year after master magic stopped being an official event.

The event that I badly want to be reintroduced is old-style MBLD. This event will be really cool, as the 1 hour limit for MBLD is sometime too tense for top level MBLD solvers.

kubnintadni

I'd like feet.

What about Team Blind? It seems like another unique event which would be good.

D

Deleted member 54663

Tymon has also gotten good at team bld. It seems like a fun event, but not for lonely introverts like me

Joe Archibald

WCA
2019ARCH01
HOWEVER. Having as many events as possible is just... eh. Having like 40 events may be difficult, in the sense that championships would have to host them all. That's really tough.
I would say that for some new events that would be introduced should be at a second tier of events so they at official events and can be held at championships but would not be required

Roux Empress

I think feet should be re introduced, why wat it Removed in the first place? I get not everyone liked it but the same and maybe for other reasons like the inefficientcy of holding the event. But the same goes with clock. Adding new events will be a whole new thing which I think will be really nice change imagine a new event that maybe people are fast with but we'll invent methods and tricks and everyone will have a fair chance to get a world record MAYBE a new event could be added sometime which I guess many people would enjoy:p