• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Marbles

I started learning full CMLL about the time I was sub 30. However, I did not learn the full set at once, but learned one subset every one or two weeks. For me, learning too much at once got confusing. That way, you can still work on the reset of your solve and pick up CMLL bit by bit.

dboeren

I started learning full CMLL about the time I was sub 30. However, I did not learn the full set at once, but learned one subset every one or two weeks. For me, learning too much at once got confusing. That way, you can still work on the reset of your solve and pick up CMLL bit by bit.

Yeah, this sounds like a good way to go I think. Work on one small set at a time and learn them gradually.

I just printed out Kian's CMLL document, but there's one thing I need to understand before starting any memorization...

What do I need to do to adapt it to my color orientation? I solve with yellow top, blue on the left, and red in front and he seems to solve with yellow top, orange on the left, and blue in front.

Edit: OK, tried a couple of the algorithms and I think there is no change needed as long as you solve yellow on top. I think I'm going to start with the cases that are currently slower for me using 2-look. The first one will be H since that one is slow for me now and there are only 4 cases instead of 6 like most of the subsets. Wish me luck :)

Last edited:

Marbles

Yeah, this sounds like a good way to go I think. Work on one small set at a time and learn them gradually.

I just printed out Kian's CMLL document, but there's one thing I need to understand before starting any memorization...

What do I need to do to adapt it to my color orientation? I solve with yellow top, blue on the left, and red in front and he seems to solve with yellow top, orange on the left, and blue in front.

Edit: OK, tried a couple of the algorithms and I think there is no change needed as long as you solve yellow on top. I think I'm going to start with the cases that are currently slower for me using 2-look. The first one will be H since that one is slow for me now and there are only 4 cases instead of 6 like most of the subsets. Wish me luck :)

Good luck with learning CMLL. You can do it! :)

In regards to recognizing the cases: As you said, you don't need to adapt a lot when using a different orientation / different colours. The exact colours (e.g. "this is red") do not matter. All that matters is whether some stickers are the same or opposite or random colours. For the H cases, you simply need to look for bars / columns.

All the best!

dboeren

Thanks. I did figure out that only the pattern matters and not the exact colors, the page could probably add a comment to explain that more clearly. Anyway, I've felt kind of intimidated trying to learn so many algorithms since I'm 46 years old and have limited time to practice but so far so good - I learned all four of the H subset last night but need to keep practicing them to make sure they stick properly. I'm hoping to do something like 2 subsets per week with good retention.

TomasH

Only 46, eh?! Try that at my age (52)! :) I am slowly going through them as well but need to do a few at a time otherwise I forget one as I learn a new one. I agree that once you know 2-look, you should learn starting learning full CMLL right away rather than waiting until you are sub-x. Which in my case would be a while. Also, Kian's pages work well for any colour scheme as long as your yellow stays at the top. A different colour there makes it "interesting".

WCA
2015STEV01
What is the best way to recognize CMLL? I know H and Pi really well because I just have to look at the top face, but when I started learning the other subsets, I had a really hard time recognizing them quickly. I think it might be because how I was recognizing them. I noticed each subset had 2 cases with same color corners, 2 with opposite, and 2 with adjacent, so what I did was first recognize whichof the 3 it was then recognize which of the 2 it was based on a 3rd sticker that was either opposite or some color as one of the 2. idk if that makes sense, but I realized that each case is called something like "left bar", "back slash", etc. So is it better to recognize that way since you only have to see 2 stickers and its only one look?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Algsets I’m thinking of learning:
Pinkie Pie(OLLCP)
EOLR
6-flip CMLL
0-flip CMLL
Which ones should I learn or not learn?
Learn:
EOLR

Not learn:
All the others

Learning two CMLLs per case is more than enough. Pick the fastest two with a different effect on EO, and then don't bother learning other subsets like all 6-flip or all 0-flip. Not only are the algs horrible in the case of 6-flip, but it's just not worth it. So long as you can avoid 6-flips (until you learn EOLR at least, then they become okay), there's no need for lots of extra algorithms. I started learning OLLCP a while back and got halfway through, but I stopped, because it just wasn't worth it. I was pausing for far longer than I should have been before CMLL, because I wanted to sometimes (but not always) save a couple of moves. It ends up being slower if you learn too many algs where they aren't helpful.

I'm not saying learning algs is bad - good algs sets are amazing. But things like CMLLEO is generally not worth it. Stick to EOLR, 2 CMLLs per case, and you won't need much else at all.

Alvaro

I am using the roux method but i cannot improve at all. My average solve with roux is about 50 seconds

Palmtop Tiger

I am using the roux method but i cannot improve at all. My average solve with roux is about 50 seconds
I think at that stage it is important to become more fluent in your solves. I would try to do F2B and LSE at a speed where you don't need any pauses to look for pieces and then gradually try to get faster. That helped me a lot. Also look up videos about fingertricks and blockbuilding and practice those until it's second nature to you. This way you will have a solid foundation and don't develop bad habits that will keep you back later on.

macncheese

Hey guys.
I've been learning roux for a while now but my block building is bad. Should I practice in theory efficient first block or should I learn from solves?

macncheese

What techniques do you use to practice first block? It takes me one minute to build both my blocks! :( I think I will switch to zz because I can't get sub 1 for three months!

WCA
2017WENR01
What techniques do you use to practice first block? It takes me one minute to build both my blocks! :( I think I will switch to zz because I can't get sub 1 for three months!
1. Square.
2. Pair / insert pair
Example: (block on DR)
Scramble R U D R' F L' F' B2
F Uw B/ Square
L U2 L'/ pair
F2/ insert
Another way is to not learn Roux yet but start with LMCF and if you like how it goes then switch to around when you are faster.
For first block practice I give myself a block limit (14 moves beginners) then slowly decrease it by 1 when you get comfortable with your move limit. The Gods Number for FB is 9 and SB 13(I think)