• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
I've been working on learning Roux for a bit over a week now and now I want to learn CMLL. If anyone does Roux then please tell me how you learned CMLL or what website you learned it from.

thank you for being patient with this, I feel my attempts at roux really have helped my CFOP style solve, and now I feel my advancements at CFOP will be helping me with roux. I'm thinking of going to roux for my 3x3x3 and CFOP after reduction for my larger cubes.
Most of these explanations are not very clear. First of all, I would recommend a different tutorial website, mainly because that one is really old and also because hardly any Rouxers use Orange or Red top for their blocks. Check out this one: https://sites.google.com/view/kianroux?authuser=0

When applying the algorithm (known as the Arrow) over and over again, you are able to solve EO, but it is not very efficient. I would recommend learning the optimal algs for the seven EO cases you can get on the website above.

It isn't necessary to peek at the bottom for this step because you can use deduction to figure out if the back edge is oriented or not. For example, if you have two bad edges at UL and UB, and the FD sticker is the bottom or top color, then you know that not only in the DF edge unoriented, but also that the DB edge isn't oriented either, because there has to be an even number.

That is a great plan for methods, exactly what I do.

Hope this helps!

I've been working on learning Roux for a bit over a week now and now I want to learn CMLL. If anyone does Roux then please tell me how you learned CMLL or what website you learned it from.
Don't learn full CMLL until you are at least sub-30. It doesn't help until you are at that point. 2 look CMLL can be done with normal OCLL algs and T and Y perms from CFOP.

Don't learn full CMLL until you are at least sub-30. It doesn't help until you are at that point. 2 look CMLL can be done with normal OCLL algs and T and Y perms from CFOP.
Ok, I learned a 2 look CMLL from Kian Mansour's videos and now I;m learning LSE

Last edited:

AES

Hi!
I’ve been cubing for about 2 months now and a few weeks ago I bought a Gan Air 356 SM. Although I really like the cube I can’t really make M-slices comfortable no matter how I adjust the tension. M’ is fine, but M is horrible.
If I adjust it so that M-slices are good, the cube as a whole is so loose that it’s uncontrollable for me.

Anyone else had the same problems and how did you solve it? Or is it just a matter of practice?

Happy new year!

Edit: is there any cube that’s extra popular amongst Roux users?

Last edited:

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi!
I’ve been cubing for about 2 months now and a few weeks ago I bought a Gan Air 356 SM. Although I really like the cube I can’t really make M-slices comfortable no matter how I adjust the tension. M’ is fine, but M is horrible.
If I adjust it so that M-slices are good, the cube as a whole is so loose that it’s uncontrollable for me.

Anyone else had the same problems and how did you solve it? Or is it just a matter of practice?

Happy new year!

Edit: is there any cube that’s extra popular amongst Roux users?

It is a matter of just practice and grinding.

Try the ishaan M slice fingertrick and many more ways to M slice moves, to get more better turning.

AES

It is a matter of just practice and grinding.

Try the ishaan M slice fingertrick and many more ways to M slice moves, to get more better turning.

Ishaan M moves looks very interesting. I’ll definitely give it a try and practice it!
Thank you!

CykaCuber

I usually average around 25 seconds with CFOP and recently switched to Roux, using Kian's method. With roux, I average 1 minute and 15 seconds. Is there any way I could improve.

Blocks 25 seconds
CMLL 7 seconds
LSE 30 seconds

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, Blocks and LSE obviously could use improving. LSE doesn't take me much more than 5-10 seconds and I average around 35 with Roux with two look CMLL. You gotta work on recognition of the cases most of all. I think Twisty Timer has a specific Roux practice scramble for LSE and for LSE step 3. That's a big help.

Blocks just require practice. Make sure you abuse the M slice like it's going out of style. Check Kian Mansour's videos, his explanation is better than anything I've ever seen. He also has a website on google sites.

CykaCuber

Ok, I saw on cstimer a roux subset now. Thanks
Also, he doesn't really talk about this but how could I improve efficacy for block building.

Last edited:

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
25 moves isn't actually too bad tbh. I reckon you probably just need to work on lookahead or turning style.

Personally, I would recommend you do a lot of unlimited inspection solves (ie solves where you try to plan as much of your solve as possible before starting).

Additionally, try to make your solves nice and smooth if they aren't already- try to avoid lots of fast turning, followed by a long pause followed by more fast turning etc.

I also find cubegrass block trainer helpful (start on an easy setting but slowly try to increase the speed at which you can do the block).

Lastly, if you're still worried about your efficiency, I would recommend looking up some example solves on yt and see if you can understand them.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok. For me, FB and SB take 40 seconds each, and I can't get under a minute. Any overall tips with efficiency? My blocks usually take 25 moves and I know that's horrible in terms of Roux.

Which cube are you using? Do you use the middle slice en wide moves to solve the FB en SB? I can really recommend Kian Mansour's YouTube videos. He explains it really well and it was an eye opener for me. I just did a first two block solve on my cube and I was pretty inefficient and got to a total of 35 moves for the first two blocks together so 40 moves for each block is really too many. I used to take 3-4 minutes with Roux at first when I switched from CFOP, but once you retrain your brain Roux becomes a lot easier and I'm averaring high 30s now for the whole solve.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
ZCube the Cube brand is something else than ZCube the cube store. :)

If you are doing 25 moves per block that's acceptable, but you should work on efficiency and use less moves. Spend some time figuring out how to do each situation with less moves, using wide moves, M slices, etc. Sometimes it's counterintuitive, so watch some example solves as well. (Example solves rarely help me though as they often go too fast and I can barely see what's going on. Might have to look into slowing down the videos. :))