• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

gbcuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Congratulations, Dan - I know you've wanted that for a long time!

Because back when you were really good, you were so good that you're still pretty good. And I think that almost everyone who's really good has taken to specializing now. Only crazy people try to be good at everything these days. :) (You notice that, as awful as I am, I still keep trying...)

Feliks doesn't even have to try, though

(999th)

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The start of the yellow centre was a little poor. You should've just done U Rw U Rw' or something similar. And just before you did the last turn of the 4th centre you could've looked ahead and added the green 2x1 bar by doing a U2, to save 2 moves :)

Athefre

I've considered this before (many times), but thought it would be too difficult so I always threw the idea away.

I'm thinking I can cut down the number of cases for non-matching CLL to the normal 42 by presenting them in a different way. By combining each CLL's two cases together to make one image, recognition can be as easy as CLL and have the same number of cases. It would still be eight stickers to look at (just like CLL) and you would still always know where to look.

I expect I would still have a difficult time explaining how to use it and I don't have the website programming knowledge to make appealing pages.

Last edited:

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
He means steps, not seconds. (I think)

You shouldn't learn algs, you should learn commutators.

I need to rewrite that ELL page or something. Everyone just skips the paragraphs of text at the beginning and just scrolls down to the algs.

Athefre

There are a lot of paragraphs. Maybe people are just too lazy to read it.

Maybe you could keep it simple in the beginning. Explain that they should understand the step but not memorize and describe how commutator and conjugate notation works. Then at the end include the rest of the helpful stuff.

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
tbh I never intended to cater for beginners. It's an advanced method that beginners /shouldn't/ be learning.

But they learn it anyway and end up trying to do OLL ;_;

I want to rewrite all the LL algs in comm notation. cba tho >.>

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You already know this alg (well, setup by an M move), but you probably don't know it could be written like this. Pretty sweet. I discovered it while working on the K4 page.

[Rw' U2 R, R U R' U']

(Very related: [M U2, R2 U R' U' R']. This one is probably easier to wrap your head around.)

EDIT: Might as well put some other 4x4 discoveries here:
[Lw2 D' R2 D: Fw2 U2 l2 U2 Fw2]
[b: [R L u2 R' L', U]]
l R' U2 R2 U R' U' R' U2 (Rwl') U R U' Rw'
x' U' R U l' U' R' U R2 U R' U' l' U R U' R2 l2 x
[S' U': [F' R u2 R' F, U']]
[S' U' : [F' R d2 R' F, U']] (this case isn't on the K4 site)

EDIT:
x' U' R U l' U' R' U R2 U R' U' l' U R U' R2 l2 x
= x' r2 U' R U l' U' R' U R2 U R' U' l' U R U' (R2M2) x

Last edited:
I've considered this before (many times), but thought it would be too difficult so I always threw the idea away.

I'm thinking I can cut down the number of cases for non-matching CLL to the normal 42 by presenting them in a different way. By combining each CLL's two cases together to make one image, recognition can be as easy as CLL and have the same number of cases. It would still be eight stickers to look at (just like CLL) and you would still always know where to look.

I expect I would still have a difficult time explaining how to use it and I don't have the website programming knowledge to make appealing pages.

I'm not sure I get it right looking at this http://www.athefre.110mb.com/NMCMLL.html and comparing the two E4-* cases (both in the first columne) they look so different! how would you combine them?