• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] One-Handed Solving Discussion

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello. I avg about 25-26 seconds on OH currently and I believe that I can I improve upto low 20 seconds simply by practising as this is what I averaged before quiting cubing for almost 1.5 years.
I am aiming for sub -17 on OH now. My method is CFOP. What can I do to improve further? I mostly use 2 look OLL except for some cases and 1 look PLL except for G perms.
Learn the French G perms. Then I would actually try learning ZZ. I used ZZ for a little bit on OH and still use it on a few solves and it helped me improve my RUL TPS and it also gave me a better understanding of the 3x3 as a whole. You don't have to continue with ZZ but learning it can teach you a few techniques that work well for OH

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
Learn the French G perms. Then I would actually try learning ZZ. I used ZZ for a little bit on OH and still use it on a few solves and it helped me improve my RUL TPS and it also gave me a better understanding of the 3x3 as a whole. You don't have to continue with ZZ but learning it can teach you a few techniques that work well for OH
French G perms?

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can you tell where can I find those G-perms. I actually learned the ZZ method but never really implemented it during OH. I guess I will start practising with that

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
French G perms?
All of these except for the Gc are french G perms. I only use the french Ga and Gd, but if you want an RUD Gc then you can just inverse the Gd alg.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Can you tell where can I find those G-perms. I actually learned the ZZ method but never really implemented it during OH. I guess I will start practising with that
French G perms are actually the normal RUD algs(didn't know that until today lol).
Algs:
Ga: R2 U R' U R' U' R U' R2 U' D R' U R D'
Gb: R' U' R U D' R2 U R' U R U' R U' R2 D
Gc: R2 U' R U' R U R' U R2 U D' R U' R' D
Gd: R U R' U' D R2 U' R U' R' U R' U R2 D'

E: Thanks @Sub1Hour. I use these algs, never knew they had a name lol.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
All of these except for the Gc are french G perms. I only use the french Ga and Gd, but if you want an RUD Gc then you can just inverse the Gd alg.
Huh, always used those.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Should I use eido or doubleflick U2s(or just U' U')?
It's very situational.
For this alg, I would use two double flicks: R U R' U' R U' R' U2 R U' R' U2 R U R'
For this alg, I would just use a U'U' flick: M2' U' M2' U' U' M2' U' M2'
For this alg, I would use an eido: honestly i can't think of algs that i use with a real eido but if i do ill edit it in
There are also things like disjointed eidos: R' U2 R U R' U R

Another thing that is very important in OH is R eidos: R U2 R2' U' R2 U' R2' U2 R

So learn them both and learn when to use them.

YouTube
Visit Channel

xyzzy

YouTube
Visit Channel
When I practice 3x3 one-handed my hand and fingers hurt. I can't practice for too much time.
Have you guys felt that too? It diminished with time? I ask myself if I'd be able to solve OH fast any time soon

If the hand/fingers pain disappeared with time for you, how long it took?
A month.
But now it doesn't exist I'm well on my way to sub 30, 25 solves a day.

yCArp

Hi, I would like to know your thoughts on roux vs really advanced cfop. I am going to leave my screenshot on a comment left by Kian. Emphasis is on the yellow highlighted sentence.

Quoting Kian.png

This comment was what made me think twice from proceeding with roux for one handed and coming to this thread for some advice.
1. I am willing to and can memorise tons of algorithms.
2. As for the block building part, I am modelling after Tymon's psuedo f2l style where he easily see double or triple x-crosses solutions. Additionally, I have some experience in FMC as well.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, I would like to know your thoughts on roux vs really advanced cfop. I am going to leave my screenshot on a comment left by Kian. Emphasis is on the yellow highlighted sentence.

View attachment 17900

This comment was what made me think twice from proceeding with roux for one handed and coming to this thread for some advice.
1. I am willing to and can memorise tons of algorithms.
2. As for the block building part, I am modelling after Tymon's psuedo f2l style where he easily see double or triple x-crosses solutions. Additionally, I have some experience in FMC as well.
1. EOLR exists (ACMLL too, but that hasn't really been proven to be practical yet)
2. plan FB+SS or even the entire F2B

If you can do this, Fahmi predicts Roux could go sub 6 OH

yCArp

Ok, I will see how my Roux journey goes. Goal for now is just sub 11-12 as my cube cant handle the m slice table abuse very well.