• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

WCA
2022WEIP01
Why is it that when there are 2 WRs for the same event happening at a competition, only the faster one is the one counted as a WR? (Only applicable if the slower one of the 2 happened fiirst)

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why is it that when there are 2 WRs for the same event happening at a competition, only the faster one is the one counted as a WR? (Only applicable if the slower one of the 2 happened fiirst)
It's so time the solve is completed is not a factor. The problem isn't two solves at the same competition, it's two solves at different competitions. So the WCA just takes fastest solve at the end of the day instead of trying to sort out times.

xyzzy

It seems strange that you couldn't have a little sticker or even a printed on logo that isn't going to help you at all but you could have completely different cubes. I could use an MS, a YLM m, and a Qiyi QiMeng Plus for MBLD. These cubes are very different and I could more easily link the memo to the solve than if I had a printed logo.
Another thing to consider is cost.

Most of us who aren't serious multiblders don't have multiple of the exact some cube model lying around. You can't reasonably expect people competing in multiBLD, especially first-timers, to just go out and buy X of the same cube instead of using the cubes they already have (likely a variety of different cubes). If the WCA instituted a new rule requiring all cubes used in a multiBLD attempt to be identical, almost no one would compete in it anymore.

Banning logos is a complete nothingburger in comparison. Logo stickers can easily be removed. Printed logos can usually be scrubbed off. All it costs is a bit of time; it's not like you have to buy X new cubes that come logo-free.

It's also worth considering whether being able to differentiate between the cubes really counts as an (unfair) advantage. If you had identical cubes, you could (in theory) sort them by your memo's alphabetical order, or group them based on which ones have parity, etc. etc., which actually slightly reduces the amount you have to memorise. (This would be silly in a real attempt because this sorting wastes a lot of time to save only a few bits of information.) In contrast, if you're associating each cube's memo with the cube hardware itself, that's strictly more information to memorise. There are other things rookie BLD solvers do that are closer to "cheating" (imo) than being able to differentiate the cubes by touch, which are nevertheless still allowed, e.g. (in 3BLD) crossing your legs depending on whether the scramble has parity.

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
Another thing to consider is cost.

Most of us who aren't serious multiblders don't have multiple of the exact some cube model lying around. You can't reasonably expect people competing in multiBLD, especially first-timers, to just go out and buy X of the same cube instead of using the cubes they already have (likely a variety of different cubes). If the WCA instituted a new rule requiring all cubes used in a multiBLD attempt to be identical, almost no one would compete in it anymore.

Banning logos is a complete nothingburger in comparison. Logo stickers can easily be removed. Printed logos can usually be scrubbed off. All it costs is a bit of time; it's not like you have to buy X new cubes that come logo-free.
Yes, I think it's easy to see that it would be very impractical to go out and spend more money than you need on cubes that are identical when you can simply use what you have. It would simply be to expensive for most people to get into MBLD seriously. I don't at all expect people to feel obligated to do this I just find it silly that one could think a printed logo could help with memo some. Some (like me) like the looks of a logo and wouldn't want to have to remove it. Sure it's not a significant sacrifice but it is still an inconvenience.

It's also worth considering whether being able to differentiate between the cubes really counts as an (unfair) advantage. If you had identical cubes, you could (in theory) sort them by your memo's alphabetical order, or group them based on which ones have parity, etc. etc., which actually slightly reduces the amount you have to memorise. (This would be silly in a real attempt because this sorting wastes a lot of time to save only a few bits of information.) In contrast, if you're associating each cube's memo with the cube hardware itself, that's strictly more information to memorise. There are other things rookie BLD solvers do that are closer to "cheating" (imo) than being able to differentiate the cubes by touch, which are nevertheless still allowed, e.g. (in 3BLD) crossing your legs depending on whether the scramble has parity.

While that is true I was implying that significantly different cubes can make linking each cube to memo a lot easier. Of course, me not being a BLD solver maybe I'm just being stupid and the feel of a cube doesn't help.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are other things rookie BLD solvers do that are closer to "cheating" (imo) than being able to differentiate the cubes by touch, which are nevertheless still allowed, e.g. (in 3BLD) crossing your legs depending on whether the scramble has parity.
This is actually something I learned from (ironically) a relatively good blind solver @Keroma12, about putting your feet together when you have parity in big bld.

The regulation in question is
  • B3b) The competitor must not make physical notes. Penalty: disqualification of the attempt (DNF).

I've thought about what other things might be allowed: rolling up a sleeve, turning in your seat, taking off a shoe, parting hair one direction or draping locks of hair over one shoulder, slapping yourself on an arm to give a sting, biting off part of a fingernail, or opening jacket pockets?

I'm assuming that the regulation is written broadly enough to allow full delegate discretion given that there are quite a number of situations where you can exploit your environment without making "physical" notes.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ive found i grip better on cubes with vinyl gloves and i wanna know if theyre legal in the wca
According to my understanding of the WCA regulations, I believe that gloves would be legal in a WCA competition-- if you really want to be safe, before you got to a comp next, you can email the delegate to double check.

• 2i1) Competitors may use non-electronic aidsthat do not give an unfair advantage, at the discretion of the WCA Delegate. This includes:
    • 2i1a) Medical/physical aids worn by the competitor (e.g. glasses, wrist brace). As an exception to Regulation 2i, medical aids may be electronic if the competitor does not have comfortable non-electronic alternatives (e.g. if the competitor has a personal hearing aid or pacemaker).
    • 2i1b) Earplugs and earmuffs (but not electronic headphones and earbuds).
    • 2i1c) Hand warmers.
    • 2i1d) Food and drink.

simontiger

If you want any details, this is a piece from the YJ MGC 5x5. I'm wondering if this would be comp legal, and if it wouldn't, what are some potential fixes?

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 47

simontiger

Why wouldn't it? Is there a big dent we can't see? If it's purely a stickerless cube, it should be perfectly fine.
Look at the orange side of the piece. If you don't see it, click on the image to make it bigger and higher-res. I don't know why this forum makes attatched images low-res when they're not scaled up

simontiger

For some reason 5x5s are fragile.
(oh this is the same mgc 5x5 as before)
image0.jpg

Here's the previous part in case you haven't seen it: https://www.speedsolving.com/thread...ns-question-thread.50221/page-74#post-1458626

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
During a BLD event is it legal in competitions to transcribe or write down your memo scheme? I understand it's not optimal but could you theoretically bring a pen and paper to the table, write down the memo scheme, then out your blindfold on and solve? Thanks,

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
During a BLD event is it legal in competitions to transcribe or write down your memo scheme? I understand it's not optimal but could you theoretically bring a pen and paper to the table, write down the memo scheme, then out your blindfold on and solve? Thanks,
B3) Memorization phase:
B3b) The competitor must not make physical notes. Penalty: disqualification of the attempt (DNF).

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Mike Hughey Thank you. I should really spend some time and read the rules. Appreciate the prompt response!

Note, there is currently no way (?) to stop competitors from making positional notes: a very common one is to put your feet together if you have parity!

E: I knew this felt familiar; I said the same thing two months ago, just a few messages further up the page
putting your feet together when you have parity in big bld.

Last edited:
Do you have to register your legal gender on your wca account thingy? I’m trans and i cant change my legal gender yet but i’d hate to be required to have female on my public wca account, that would really not be good for my mental health

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you have to register your legal gender on your wca account thingy? I’m trans and i cant change my legal gender yet but i’d hate to be required to have female on my public wca account, that would really not be good for my mental health
Relevant regs:
  • 2c) Competitors register by providing all information required by the organization team (including: name, country, date of birth, gender, contact information, selected events).
    • 2c2) Returning competitors must provide personal information consistent with their WCA profile. If a competitor wishes to change or update their personal information between competitions (e.g. a change of nationality, name, or gender), they must contact the WCA Results Team.
  • 2d) A competitor's name, country, gender, and competition results are considered public information. All other personal information is considered confidential, and must not be disclosed to outside organizations/persons without the consent of the competitor.

I know there are several trans cubers who have changed their gender, so if you haven't competed yet then I'm sure you can choose which gender identity you want displayed.