• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
If I glue together the wings and centers of my 4x4 can I use it as my 3x3?
Unlikely. One of these regs might apply:

3h3) Any modifications to a puzzle that result in poor performance by a competitor are not grounds for additional attempts.
3j) Puzzles must be clean, and must not have any markings, elevated pieces, damage, or other differences that significantly distinguish any piece from a similar piece. Exception: a logo (see Regulation 3l).

The glue could wreck the cube, but you can't get additional attempts for it, and because of the inconsistency of the glue, there may be differences in the pieces.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
3h3) Any modifications to a puzzle that result in poor performance by a competitor are not grounds for additional attempts.

My Angstrom WRM 4x4 is better than my OOTB GTS3M though

3j) Puzzles must be clean, and must not have any markings, elevated pieces, damage, or other differences that significantly distinguish any piece from a similar piece. Exception: a logo (see Regulation 3l).

What if I used double sided tape and flattened it out, sticking it between the wings/centers? Assume the tape won't break

KingTim96

WCA
2012SPIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is Indianan 2020 cancelled? I can't seem to find it on worldcubeassociation.org, the link I had bookmarked no longer works, and I can't find a thread for it using the search bar. All of that points to no, but I wanted to ask.

Also it is possible I missed it already haha but just wanted to see.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Is Indianan 2020 cancelled? I can't seem to find it on worldcubeassociation.org, the link I had bookmarked no longer works, and I can't find a thread for it using the search bar. All of that points to no, but I wanted to ask.

Also it is possible I missed it already haha but just wanted to see.

That means it's cancelled

Lchu613

WCA
2014CHUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey all,
I've been out of the cubing scene for a while and have recently gotten a new stickerless cube, the RS3 M 2020. The cube is really great and pretty much blows my older mains out of the water in terms of performance. However, with my color blind eyes, I have some difficulty distinguishing the particular shades of red and green on the cube which sometimes trips me up during solves.

Anyhow, I was considering adding slightly more amenable shaded stickers to the cube i.e. with a slightly darker red and lighter green that I should be able to distinguish. However, I wasn't sure if cubes like this would be legal under the WCA regulations, particularly regulation 3d - "Puzzles must have colored parts, which define the color scheme of the puzzle and must be one and only one of the following: colored stickers, colored tiles, colored plastic, or painted/printed colors. All colored parts of a puzzle must be made of a similar material."

Can anybody confirm whether this would be allowed/disallowed, and potentially speak to whether I'd be able to have this preapproved in case of going to competitions under regulation 2s, sort of like the case of 3d1b allowing colored parts with patterns? I personally can't imagine that it would give any sort of unfair advantage that it would give.

Thanks!

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
  • 3d2) The colors of the colored parts must be solid, with one uniform color per face. Each color must be clearly distinct from the other colors.

Having a red and then a different shade red sticker will probably be illegal. Your best bet would probably be just drawing patterns on each side:

• 3d1b) Color blind competitors who cannot distinguish between the necessary number of colors may use colored parts with patterns, if it has been explicitly approved according to Regulation 2s. Patterns may come from stickers or be drawn.

Amazing Alot avatar btw

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Fair enough, I might just do that.
I guess if all else fails I could make some force cubes. Or dye it black. Or just deal with it.

Don't try dying, all stories I've heard don't end well. Why not just get a different cube in black? It's probably cheaper than buying 6 RS3M's, but to each his own. Good luck :)

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
The cubing in the USA website only lists 3 results under "Single" and none under "Average" for 3x3 Multi-BLD state records. Does this mean that only 3 people have ever competed and successfully completed solves in 3x3 Multi-BLD? I see California lists 55 results...
1598553083283.png

Last edited:
The cubing in the USA website only lists 3 results under "Single" and none under "Average" for 3x3 Multi-BLD state records. Does this mean that only 3 people have ever competed and successfully completed solves in 3x3 Multi-BLD? I see California lists 55 results...
View attachment 13306
It probably means only 3 people have competed.
California has a much larger population than Colorado.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
That is probably correct. Keep in mind that:
1. I believe multiBLD doesn't show averages. I know Kit Clement has a multiBLD "average", but it doesn't show up there for Oregon.
2. CubingUSA accounts are optional. Many USA competitors don't have them, and only those with CubingUSA accounts will show up in state records. So the state records are not truly complete.
3. I'm sure there are lots more competitors from California than from Colorado.